mtbr member
    Mar 2004

Tall Prophet owners: what size is your Prophet?

I went through the Cannondale message forum page by page, but I could not find a size thread dedicated to taller Prophet riders. I'm 6'2'', about 190lbs. I straddled an XL 600 at my LBS, and it felt pretty big. However, I was in work clothes so I could not take it for a proper test ride.

They are now building me a L 1000 for comparison purposes.

Anyone out there around 6'2''? What size Prophet did you get? I do fairly aggressive x-country, but no freeriding. Just logs, jumps, roots, stream crossings, and steep descents and climbs. No big drops.

Thanks for any input.

cannondale rider
    im 6'-0" and weight 180 and i ride a large. it feels fine for me. when i demoed the prophet, it was a medium because thats all they had. once i got my bike, it felt alot better. so, test ride them both and see which is the better fit

a.k.a.-Cranial Disharmony
    6.0 ft 210 and I ride a large.....it's perfect.
    "Life sucks, get a fu*king helmet, okay?" - Dennis Leary

mtbr member
    Jan 2005

Are you an ape or a giraffe ??

Quote Originally Posted by ryoninct
    6.0 ft 210 and I ride a large.....it's perfect.
    6 foot 3 and 34 inch inseam makes my perfect bike an XL.
    Try one after the other (XL vs L and see whats best.
    R.I.P 26ers....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperClyde
    I went through the Cannondale message forum page by page, but I could not find a size thread dedicated to taller Prophet riders. I'm 6'2'', about 190lbs. I straddled an XL 600 at my LBS, and it felt pretty big. However, I was in work clothes so I could not take it for a proper test ride.

They are now building me a L 1000 for comparison purposes.

Anyone out there around 6'2''? What size Prophet did you get? I do fairly aggressive x-country, but no freeriding. Just logs, jumps, roots, stream crossings, and steep descents and climbs. No big drops.

Thanks for any input.
    I am 6 2 as well and weigh 185. I have a Medium Prophet 800 and the size works very well for me. I occasionally do decent size drops to tranny - and find the smaller size very very stable.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005

.........shocked........

Quote Originally Posted by mtbidwell
    I am 6 2 as well and weigh 185. I have a Medium Prophet 800 and the size works very well for me. I occasionally do decent size drops to tranny - and find the smaller size very very stable.
    Hey I really dont mean to sound rude...but 6 foot 2 and a medium .....that just sounds 'wrong'

holy moly....how long is your seat post and stem ??

What is your reasoning to take such a small bike for your height, 'cos by most standards you should be on a large at least. I'm guessing you don't just ride XC but do a lot of funky drop offs & tricks ??
    R.I.P 26ers....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Missile
    Hey I really dont mean to sound rude...but 6 foot 2 and a medium .....that just sounds 'wrong'

holy moly....how long is your seat post and stem ??

What is your reasoning to take such a small bike for your height, 'cos by most standards you should be on a large at least. I'm guessing you don't just ride XC but do a lot of funky drop offs & tricks ??
    Actually stem length is normal and seat height is even or a little below the bars. This is my first non-20inch bike and the large seemed huge on my first test ride. I got it to keep up w/ riding partners on the trails and to still have a little flexibility towards free ride. I have never changed the setting to XC on the shock mount. I don't do anything to funky besides little tables and 180's. You are correct, my input here is limited to my experience, which is only about 3 mos. of daily riding on an "adult" bike as my wife says.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

size preference

Quote Originally Posted by mtbidwell
    Actually stem length is normal and seat height is even or a little below the bars. This is my first non-20inch bike and the large seemed huge on my first test ride. I got it to keep up w/ riding partners on the trails and to still have a little flexibility towards free ride. I have never changed the setting to XC on the shock mount. I don't do anything to funky besides little tables and 180's. You are correct, my input here is limited to my experience, which is only about 3 mos. of daily riding on an "adult" bike as my wife says.
    thought I would throw my 2 cents into the mix...

I am 6 foot tall (probably 5'11.5), but I round up.....When I sat on the large and rode it...it felt huge....the HTT on the prophet in size medium was actually a little longer than my old F500 in size large.....C'dale bike actually have gotten bigger in size over the past 5 years......so a Med in Cannondale is sometimes the same size or close to other company's size large....

The most important size on any bike is the HTT...get that right and you can adjust the rest to preference....

I also like the nimble bike feeling....and wanted a more upright riding position.....

mtbr member
    Apr 2005

HTT size

Quote Originally Posted by jagayers
    thought I would throw my 2 cents into the mix...

I am 6 foot tall (probably 5'11.5), but I round up.....When I sat on the large and rode it...it felt huge....the HTT on the prophet in size medium was actually a little longer than my old F500 in size large.....C'dale bike actually have gotten bigger in size over the past 5 years......so a Med in Cannondale is sometimes the same size or close to other company's size large....

The most important size on any bike is the HTT...get that right and you can adjust the rest to preference....

I also like the nimble bike feeling....and wanted a more upright riding position.....

I checked the c'dale web site and the HTT length for the 2001 Jeckyls is the same as that for the prophets of comparable size. I'm only 5'8" and find the med too cramped for my predominantly XC riding - may be different if you do a lot of very technical work or a lot of downhilling/freeriding.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Smile to all concerned about size....

Quote Originally Posted by Roger9
    I checked the c'dale web site and the HTT length for the 2001 Jeckyls is the same as that for the prophets of comparable size. I'm only 5'8" and find the med too cramped for my predominantly XC riding - may be different if you do a lot of very technical work or a lot of downhilling/freeriding.
    Important lesson to learn.....size is really up to you the rider....

There is no right or wrong based on your height, etc......e.g one 6'2" rider prefers a med, and one 5'8" rider prefers a large.....

Only you, the rider, can decide what is in your best interests....based on your measurements, bike measurements, riding style, interests, and preferences......

Best way to fit a bike.......ride it and compare....

That being said......we should all be riding instead of online....my excuse is, I am recovering from 3 feet of fresh powder in Switzerland.....and my bike is in the shop being upgraded....

see you all on the trails........Prophets rule!

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    6ft. 2in. 34in. inseam XL

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    5'11", 200lbs 32" inseam, Prophet is Large, perfect.

mtbr member
    6'2 220lbs 34inch inseam. I am riding a large as the XL just felt a bit to big to really throw around in the tight stuff.