mtbr member
    Jun 2006

Super V Swingarms

I've noticed that the Super V has gone through 3 or 4 different swingarm designs throughout its design life, and I was wondering why? First was the HCV440 Carbon, which I always thought was futuristic and well ahead of its time, and then they went to the simpler Active and SL swingarms. Why did they do this? Also, the final models of the Super V as well as some of the Jekylls featured this really wierd "robot arm" style swingarm similar to the Rush, but not near as nice that always flexed a lot when braking. Were there any design advantages to any of these?

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by TalonSL
    Why did they do this? Also, the final models of the Super V as well as some of the Jekylls featured this really wierd "robot arm" style swingarm similar to the Rush, but not near as nice that always flexed a lot when braking.

They were trying to increase stiffness and reliability, while decreasing weight. This is possible due to learning curve, and materials science improvements. The robot arm you mention is, I believe, the bonded arm. These broke like toothpicks, and should be avoided if at all possible. The last generation of arms was on the late model Jekylls, and Recumbents. It looks much like the CAAD 4 ones of earlier Jekylls, but has thicker upper stays, more tire clearance, and is also a fair bit stiffer. Cheers
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Thanks . For some reason I really like the swingarm on my Rush, and on the Prophet. Has a really nice curve to it.

BTW: Is it possible to build an Uber V with a Rush swingarm, or is it too long?

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by TalonSL
    BTW: Is it possible to build an Uber V with a Rush swingarm, or is it too long?
    Nope, totally different mounting style, ain't gonna happen=
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

Members who have read this thread: 0