Super V 1000? what it worth?- Mtbr.com

Nov 2006

New question here. Super V 1000? what it worth?

hey locally i was checking out a Super V 1000 from 1997, only a few hundred miles ridden, with new tires, carbon handlebar, new brake pads. what should i expect to pay for this?

Nov 2006
    Hmmmm, that's a loaded question. Bikes of that vintage generally aren't worth very much, but I suppose a lot of it depends on the condition and spec of the bike. I have a '98 Super V 1000 that was cherry... like the one you're looking at, it only had a couple hundred miles on it, tops. Last fall, I was considering selling it... with the dual crown fatty moto fork, I was going to ask $500 obo. Even in perfect condition, I don't know if I could have gotten $500 for it, judging by the "deer in the headlights" look I got whenever I told somebody about it. My bike had Coda components, which are widely regarded in the bike world as complete junk, therefore further reducing it's overall value.

I'd say, if you can pick it up for under $500, go for it. Just make sure it's the right size frame for you. Super V's, like most older Cannondales, had relatively small cockpits. FYI, The frame size should be stamped into top of the front shock mount.

Super V's are enjoying a nice little comeback, as evidenced by this thread... http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=39049, check it out, you'll be glad you did.

After reading that thread, I decided to keep my Super V and "Uber" it. I now have a 6" travel, 28lb bike with a completely modern spec, and although I spent what I consider a small fortune on it, it still pales in comparison to the cost of a new "All-Mountain" bike with similar components.

Good luck!

Nov 2006
    thanks for responding.

Yeah same thing here, the bike has only a few hundred miles, and looks to be basically almost never used. It is specked out with Deore and XT components, but it does have the head shock that only has probably 3 inches of travel.

So would we say if i could get it for 300 hundred than don't pass it up?

Nov 2006
    In my opinion, yeah, $300 would be great for a solid bike with a lot of potential! Hopefully you'll get some others to chime in with their opinions as well.

Hybrid Leftys aren't real Moderator
    1997 makes it a fine Uber candidate, at 3 bills, it's a good deal! Have fun, ride hard
    Cannondale Lefty and HeadShock servicing, wheel building, etc...

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

Members who have read this thread: 3