siv
    mtbr member

Stupid Cannondale headtube length

Why cant they increase the length of the headtube for larger bikes? Obviously they know its neccessery cause they're doing it on the new Moto line. Im done with my Prophet, I cant get it to fit any better than what Ive tweaked it at. Tired of spending money on stems and bars to remedy the situation. And no, an XL frame will only make things worse. Super over the bars syndrome.

got the dhr...
    They make their headtubes the same size just for the lefty. It really sux to see you not being able to fit your bike. What kind of fitting problems are you having? Maybe you should e-mail cannondale and ask if you can trade in our bike for a moto that will fit better and maybe pay the difference. Or you could take a risky move and get a larger fork, so that way the front is higher. Have you tried switching between the XC and FR positions? It could make a difference.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    siv, did you try the extened steer tube. It is only sold aftermarket, so most don't know that it even exists. The part number is KT040/ and it will add a couple of inches to your ride height. It allows for removable spacers underneath your stem and can be cut down easily if it is too high.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by wv_rider
    siv, did you try the extened steer tube. It is only sold aftermarket, so most don't know that it even exists. The part number is KT040/ and it will add a couple of inches to your ride height. It allows for removable spacers underneath your stem and can be cut down easily if it is too high.
    Unless he has a carbon lefty max, this wouldnt really work, because with the aluminum lefty max the steerer tube is attached to the lower clamp. My guess is the steer tube for the alu max is that its pressed into the lower clamp.

FIRENZE rulez !!
    on ebay there is a long tube

for lefties with attached tube , drill it to remove screw ( is not a screw but not remeber exact word to call the .... ) ...

siv
    mtbr member
    Ive heard of the extended steer tube, I'll look into it. I do have the aluminum Lefty though so we"ll see. Im willing to maybe get a 2.5 rise bar and see if that helps, the 2.25 I have feels like Im getting close to where I want to be. I guess we just cant all be 5' 10".

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    I know that you hate putting more money into it but I hate to see someone go away from the Lefty. So, if you were up to sending your fork back to Cannondale; they could turn your fork into a Lefty Carbon Max. I think they charge approx. $225 but you would then be lighter and extended steertube compatible. You could probably even sell your current clamps on Ebay to offset some of the cost.

mnt bike laws of physics
    The XL Rize will have a longer head tube as well according to the Cdale tech. It will be 1" longer and there is a special 1" longer lefty that will come with the models that come with a lefty.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by wv_rider
    I know that you hate putting more money into it but I hate to see someone go away from the Lefty. So, if you were up to sending your fork back to Cannondale; they could turn your fork into a Lefty Carbon Max. I think they charge approx. $225 but you would then be lighter and extended steertube compatible. You could probably even sell your current clamps on Ebay to offset some of the cost.
    $225???? Where did you get this info? Im getting excited!

mtbr member
    Anyone else heard this info of trading in an aluminum Lefty Max for a Carbon Lefty Max and only pay $225?

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    My local shop did it for one of my riding buddies. The alloy outter and the carbon outter are basically interchangable. So, the fork was going back for a telescope rebuild and the Factory Tech Room just charged him the cost of the carbon outter which was matched up with all of the original alloy parts.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I've nearly been put off C'Dale because of the short head tube length. I've got a Rush XL and the front end is still too low despite using a 90mm 20 degree rise stem and 2" riser bars. Another thing - the seat tube is only 19" long, I had to get a 400mm seatpost to get correct leg extension. Maybe C'Dale is crewed by dwarves...

fella
    Dwarves???
    I'm considering myself pretty average height-wise at 5'10", and I find C-dale headtube to be on the larger than ideal side for an M frame. I'm using a -20 degree stem to have a saddle-to-bar drop of about 3". I think the headtube length is ideal for an L frame, not axactly a dwarve-sized one, don't you think?
    member of the World Conspiracy against Paranoia

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Anyone under 6 foot is a dward in my eyes

mad aussie
    Actually us dwarves have the opposite problem, at 5'6" its hard to get the bar low enough, particularly for XC racing, you need a flat bar and negative rise stem.
    Well I have to go, hi ho, hi ho, its off to work I go................

Kevin

siv
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by slyboots
    Dwarves???
    I'm considering myself pretty average height-wise at 5'10", and I find C-dale headtube to be on the larger than ideal side for an M frame. I'm using a -20 degree stem to have a saddle-to-bar drop of about 3". I think the headtube length is ideal for an L frame, not axactly a dwarve-sized one, don't you think?
    I guess on a Rush you want the XC geometry but I use the Prophet as AM so I hate feeling like Im right over the bars. I guess it depends on your inseam and how long your arms and torso are. I have a 34.5 inseam and have to put the seat up to the point where only my tippy toes touch when seated, so now I feel like Im over the bars. I have a 20 x 110 stem and 2.25 riser bars. Also using a setback seatpost (Titec). Maybe I just need another bike with less travel for the techy singletrack stuff, sometimes I feel like all that travel is just getting hung up on rocks/logs when going too slow. Ditching the Lefty for a fork with adjustable travel would also make sense maybe. Taller steer tube as well.

The Martian
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Zodiac
    I've nearly been put off C'Dale because of the short head tube length. I've got a Rush XL and the front end is still too low despite using a 90mm 20 degree rise stem and 2" riser bars. Another thing - the seat tube is only 19" long, I had to get a 400mm seatpost to get correct leg extension. Maybe C'Dale is crewed by dwarves...
    HARDLY! I'm 5ft and both the lefty and headtube are too long for me in an ideal world. Near impossible to get the front end right (I'm running flat bars with a 17* sweep and am considering a 10-20* negative rise stem...), forget it if I want my bars below my seat for XC. Plus the "petite" is still like a 15.5inch frame...

mtbr member
    I was in the same boat as you, I'm 6'2" but have long legs so I felt to high in relation to the bars, some rise in my stem, FR setting, and the correct spring in the lefty fixed me up pretty well but on real steep technical rocky downhills I still feel a little over the front wheel.

anyway, a friend has an XL and I have a Large and wanted to say that an XL will NOT make it worse the opposite actually, the inch longer top tube keeps your weight that much farther from the front wheel. The XL is much more stable for me both going fast down hills and even more noticeable when you poking along down the real step rocky stuff.

I am far from an experienced mountain biker but if you already moved your bars up with a 20 degree stem (an inch?) and the riser bar (another inch or so?) maybe bar hight is not be the main issue, I am thinking the bar distance may be a major factor.

Sounds like you have been working hard at getting the Prophet to fit, there are way to many great bikes out there to be married to just one, I say start looking and riding some new ones till you find one that works better for you.

Used Prophets are selling for fairly high prices on Ebay so you may not get hit so bad making the switch, If I where in your shoes I would try to get the LBS where I bought the new bike to pack up the old one for shipping (bike boxes are not cheap)

Ray

Quote Originally Posted by siv
    Why cant they increase the length of the headtube for larger bikes? Obviously they know its neccessery cause they're doing it on the new Moto line. Im done with my Prophet, I cant get it to fit any better than what Ive tweaked it at. Tired of spending money on stems and bars to remedy the situation. And no, an XL frame will only make things worse. Super over the bars syndrome.

siv
    mtbr member
    I considered buying a XL frame and swapping parts but didnt think it would do anything but make the seatube higher. I would like to ride an XL but fat chance of that happening. I just dont know why you would keep the headtube the same length on every size frame, just not verry well thought out in my opinion.

mtbr member
    Every store I went into when I started looking for a mountain bike had 1 XL bike in stock (not just Cannondale, I looked at Giant, Trek and Fisher as well) never an XL full suspension and very few large bikes, mediums, mediums and more mediums!!

Funny part is if you look at any post about buying a new bike, they are always answered to take a test ride, I like spending my money locally but I am starting to feel like why bother they wont have my size anyway.

Its not just the seat tube (not really important for fit as far as I can tell) the top tube is a good amount longer and a hair more wheel base.

hope you find a bike that fits ASAP

Ray

Quote Originally Posted by siv
    I considered buying a XL frame and swapping parts but didnt think it would do anything but make the seatube higher. I would like to ride an XL but fat chance of that happening. I just dont know why you would keep the headtube the same length on every size frame, just not verry well thought out in my opinion.

Members who have read this thread: 0