mtbr member
    Jan 2005

stem options for lefty max

i just got a 2007 prophet. the stock 100 mm stem is a bit long for me and doesn't have more rise that i like. a little research found that the steerer tube is unique to c'dale meaning other manufacturers don't make stems for the lefty....does c'dale offer shorter stems with more rise..i'm thinking 60 mm with 10 degrees or something like that

i hate to think that i'll have to ditch the whole front end (headset, fork and frnt wheel) to be able to set it up right

any help would be appreciated
    "He can make even a global summit meeting seem like a kegger." M. Dowd, NY Times, 19 July 2006

Ridin' dirty!
    Check online or with you cannondale dealer...There's a variety of different stem sizes available for the Lefty/Headshok.... If you buy online, make sure it's Headshok/Lefty specific and not a cannondale 1.5 as they look pretty similar.
    You can't go too short though, since the handlebar might interfere with the lefty top cap....
    "Common sense isn't always that common!"
    Custom Prophet and Custom Delta V

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    hey thanks...i played around with it some more...maybe its not the length that's bad...i just need more rise, 10 -15 degree...i feel like i'm laying out flat like superman now

we've got a local c'dale dealer but the guy isn't to bright...i'll talk to him during the week...just wish i could find it online so i can examine the stuff myself
    "He can make even a global summit meeting seem like a kegger." M. Dowd, NY Times, 19 July 2006

mtbr member
    i think they only make um up to 5 degree rise. Check out universalcycles.cm they have cannondale stems.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    nope, there's quite a few avaliable options if leftys and headshocks have the same measurements- as i believe they do.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/S...e+stem&x=0&y=0

if these are too long, sic makes even shorter stems, 50 and 60mm amongst others, so you can check em out. Their web page is being redone as we speak, so check in a couple of days.

http://www.sicusa.com/

good luck on the quest for the perfect stem. Personally i like the 80mm i'm borrowing from my brothers 4x much better than the 100mm that came stock. An even shorter might be better. There's a huge difference in feel between the 80 and 100.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by klinkekule
    nope, there's quite a few avaliable options if leftys and headshocks have the same measurements- as i believe they do.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/S...e+stem&x=0&y=0

if these are too long, sic makes even shorter stems, 50 and 60mm amongst others, so you can check em out. Their web page is being redone as we speak, so check in a couple of days.

http://www.sicusa.com/

good luck on the quest for the perfect stem. Personally i like the 80mm i'm borrowing from my brothers 4x much better than the 100mm that came stock. An even shorter might be better. There's a huge difference in feel between the 80 and 100.
    so you found an 80 mm cannondale stem...i want that

The Martian
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by adamantane
    so you found an 80 mm cannondale stem...i want that
    Be careful. I have a 90mm (stock) stem with a 5 degree rise. No way I could go shorter, my handlebars are almost touching the Lefty.

If you try it, make sure it's from a shop where you can return it if it won't work...

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    I had an 80mm with 5 deg rise that fit my Prophet with Lefty. It was a little bit too short so I'm running a 90/5 now.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    I went with a 90mm 20 deg rise on my Prophet. It clears the Lefty and the bike feels much better. I got it at Plano Cycles in Plano TX. I had no luck finding one on-line.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    duncan1104 was right...universal cycles has c'dale stems listed..i later found beyondbikes has them listed...i kind of want to try two diff stems, the 90 mm 20 degree that 07 prophet mentions and the 80 mm 5 degree...i have never used a 20 degree anything, but in this case it may just work fine..funny but if you play with geomertry on paper, a 90 mm stem with 20 degree rise will feel and measure out to be a shorter stem

of course, c'dale could have made the lefty as an actual 1.5 in steerer fork, that would have been to simple and given us too many option for stems

mnt bike laws of physics
    Quote Originally Posted by adamantane
    of course, c'dale could have made the lefty as an actual 1.5 in steerer fork, that would have been too simple and given us too many option for stems
    That would be very cool, but I think Cdale came up with the headshock long before the 1.5" headtube became available.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Saw this on Ebay and thought of you. http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...ksid=p3907.m29
    No idea how the custom riser was made, though I bet someoneone here could work it out.

mtbr member
    whats with the steerer and why sell that in one package? sell it in different sections.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Baker921
    Saw this on Ebay and thought of you. http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...ksid=p3907.m29
    No idea how the custom riser was made, though I bet someoneone here could work it out.
    that frameset looks all f***ed up...like the guy really needed a 20" or 22" frame but had to make do...i had a crazy thought about these c'dale stems....they are so damn long, i wonder if you could take a 110 mm by 20 degree rise..cut about 50 mm out of the middle and have the thing welded back together...i guess you could do that on paper but frightening to ride around on maybe

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    you could just get a bar with more rise. That is alot easier than finding a new lefty stem (which are generally expensive). I went from a 0.5" rise bar to 1.5" rise bar and it solved the same problem for me.

Members who have read this thread: 0