mnt bike laws of physics

Stans 650b wheel for the Lefty

Just won the first race of the NM series with the 650b wheel/neo-moto tire set up as tubeless. This is the best front tire I heve ever used. At 750gs it will turn off many a racers, but if you are on the heavy side of the average mountain biker it is not at all a hinderance. In fact this tire rails. The neo-moto works awesome as a tubeless tire. I ran 28psi. The trail was very rocky and technical with lots of short steep climbs and directional changes - 30 miles altogether. The tire held up to the harsh conditions very nicely and the wheel is much stiffer than a Crossmax SL ar SLR and mine weighs 700g (without the yellow tape or bolt) which is about the same weight as a 26" SLR.

For those who do not know - 650b is 1" taller than 26", 1.5" shorther than 29". Yes that is correct 29ers are 2.5" taller than 26ers. They are just rounded off.
    AND, 650b wheel/tires fit in any Lefty without any modifications.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by yogiprophet; 03-31-2008 at 10:03 PM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Does the 650b wheel fit on the rear of the rush? Who sells this wheel setup?

mtbr member
    May 2005

Awesome

That is really cool! Did you just run it up front or for both wheels? Did it have any affect on the handling of the bike?
    Congratulations on your race win!

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by wvnova
    Who sells this wheel setup?

thats a stans wheel

http://www.notubes.com/

mnt bike laws of physics
    Thanks alhoff, It will fit on the rear of the swingarms without the bridge or you can take the bridge off and it will fit no problems. IMO the bridge does very little for the stiffness anyway.

I have a longer shock on the rear so now with the 650b wheel(which is 700mm diameter) in the front, the BB height is about 13 1/4" Just right I think. It rails even better that it did when I first got it. If you put on on both sides it should raise the BB about 1/2"

My wheel was built by me but you can get one at Stans pre built now. I don't think he offers the Lefty version yet.

Get back with me if you are interested in my wheel build.
    Last edited by yogiprophet; 03-31-2008 at 10:23 PM.

mtbr member
    I had the same idea as you yogiprophet when I saw on Stan's website. After contacting Stans, he said that the fully built Lefty 650B wheel option should be available in mid April. Can't wait!

mad aussie
    Love the mod! With the new ZTR rims I am now just waiting for a nice minimally knobbed XC tires to switch out front and rear on the Rush. The extra 1/2" would actually be perfect as it would raise the BB a bit and I could then drop the rear shock pressure to recommended sag.

Kevin

Live 2 Ride
    You all know 650b is just another way to say 27.5 inch right?
    My Bike: '19 Giant Talon 2 29er
    My Blog: http://http://kona0197.wordpress.com/

mnt bike laws of physics
    Quote Originally Posted by Flying Wombat
    Love the mod! With the new ZTR rims I am now just waiting for a nice minimally knobbed XC tires to switch out front and rear on the Rush. The extra 1/2" would actually be perfect as it would raise the BB a bit and I could then drop the rear shock pressure to recommended sag.

Kevin

Thanks Kevin, I am lovin' it too. Sounds like your mod will do the trick.
    Looks like the first XC tire for you lighter weight folks will be here about the beginning of July. Here is the info in case somebody wants to know.
    http://www.650bpalace.com

Members who have read this thread: 0