mtbr member
    Apr 2015

Small hole in Bad Boy head tube weld.

Hi guys. I have just bought a Bad Boy and I am really stoked but unfortunately I have noticed a small hole in the head tube weld.

Since I had a similar problem in a previous bike (not a Cannondale one) that was replaced under warranty for poor craftsmanship this hole is the result of welding porosity and despite the fact that the hole is quite small it is considered a welding defect that could be quite serious especially if it is in the surface.

More about this you can find here NHML Defective Welds: Revealing Welding Flaws through Visual Inspection - NHML but I will quote the most important part below.

"Minor internal porosity does not significantly affect weld performance but surface porosity is a serious condition.
    Almost all fatigue fractures begin at the surface of the metal; anything that interrupts the surface of the metal is a fatigue crack nucleation point. This would include the craters created by surface porosity. Welds with surface porosity should always be replaced."

What I would like to ask you is not if it is rideable or not (so please don't go there) but if you had similar issues with your bikes in order to see if this is common for Cannondale bikes or just an unfortunate exception?

I have also contacted my LBS about this in order to forward the photos to Cannondale.

Thank you in advance.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    I have found similar thread here http://forums.mtbr.com/cannondale/wh...ed-723728.html with a much bigger hole and unfortunately Cannondale said it was only cosmetic (!) which of course isn't. It is a quite old thread and unfortunately the OP didn't report back about the final outcome but still the initial reply from Cannondale is disappointing.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Hi guys. I would really appreciate it if you could share your experience with the Cannondale build and especially weld quality.

To be honest I am really disappointed with the weld quality of my bike and after close examination I have found some more spots.

mtbr member
    Hmm, I have a cannondale but the welds are ground smooth. They certainly don't look like top quality welds.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    I have already sent the above photos to my LBS in order to forward them to Cannondale and I am expecting their reply. It has been already a week but I hope that they will reply soon enough.

Since it is my first Cannondale bicycle and I don't have any experience with their customer service I hope that they will honour their warranty regarding poor craftsmanship and give me a properly welded frame.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Have you tried here first for some guidance about your problem..?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypochondriasis
    The names have been changed to protect the innocent...

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Thank you very much for the suggestion.

On the more serious and professional side my LBS informed me that Cannondale after the first photos that I have sent them that they will 99% replace the frame so I have send him all necessary additional information and photos and hopefully I will get their final decision soon.

Personally I believe that companies that respect their customers have much more to gain in the long term so kudos to Cannondale for their approach so far.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Just to report back, I have yesterday received my new frame and all the parts were transfered without any extra cost for me!

So great customer service from Cannondale, the local distributor and my LBS (Wheel Mania)!