mtbr member
    Jun 2006

Singlespeed Rush

I'm thrwoing around several ideas for what to do with my BTC, and I thought maybe I could try to build it into a 1FG Rush. I really don't see myself having the more than $2000 I need to build my envisioned Rush 5000SL anytime soon, so this may be a fun project if possible. Does anyone know if this can be done, or is the swingarm too wide for the narrower hub and axle? What do you think about this?

mtbr member
    It can be done, but I'm don't think a full suspension bike would perform well as a single speed. There's a lot of mashing on the pedals involved.

If you wanted to experiment on the quick and cheap, just get a chain tensioner. Also, remove the rear wheel cassette and replace with spacers and the cog you want. Extra chainrings and shifters can also be removed, but you might want to ride it first before you get that far.

Or you could just ride it around for awhile without shifting and see how that feels. Again though, I think there's a reason you don't see many FS single speeds on the trails. (Does anyone have a Kona A?)

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Why don't you build it as an 1 X 9 or 1 X 8?

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by jiar577
    Why don't you build it as an 1 X 9 or 1 X 8?
    Thought about this, or maybe an exotic 2 x 1 or 3 x 1. The more I think about it thoug, I think I'll just enjoy my 800 for now and keep saving.

Members who have read this thread: 0