Simple Question- Mtbr.com

Thread: Simple Question

mtbr member
    May 2006

Simple Question

I am in the process of building my wife's F1000 Cannondale and bought a used frame and fork. I think I am missing some parts, but would like to see a buildup/teardown procedure. I think I am missing a dust boot that fits on the top. The fork I have has a really think shim on the steer tube. Where does that go? Am I missing anything else? A shim (not sure where it goes and a boot to go over top? Any help would be appreciated. My LBS (cannondale dealer) said they could not help me, they would have to send it back to C'dale??? I laughed at them and left the store, never to return to it again.

Hybrid Leftys aren't real Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by ToyFJ60
    I am in the process of building my wife's F1000 Cannondale and bought a used frame and fork. I think I am missing some parts, but would like to see a buildup/teardown procedure. I think I am missing a dust boot that fits on the top. The fork I have has a really think shim on the steer tube. Where does that go? Am I missing anything else? A shim (not sure where it goes and a boot to go over top? Any help would be appreciated. My LBS (cannondale dealer) said they could not help me, they would have to send it back to C'dale??? I laughed at them and left the store, never to return to it again.

There is a seal that goes on top of the upper bearing, before you put the bracket on (Lefty) or the stem on , (headshock). If this is a Lefty, the shim in question is most likely the one which goes underneath the lower bearing, creating room, so the forks bracket does not drag on the cup. A shop said they could send it back to Cannondale, when all you had were questions about what a part was, or if you were missing an external, visible to the naked eye, seal? How is it that places like this sell Cannondale, and I can't? Or am I missing the complexity of your situation?
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    Hey, Craig

The reason why these places are allowed to sell C'dale and you're not allowed is very simple...You actually have the know how to fix these simple problems, hence not making money for C'dale. These other shops dont have a clue and first thing they do is send "it" back to C'dale...which is good for C'dale. You need to stop fixing and start sending .
    does it have two wheels?

Quote Originally Posted by PhillyPhil
    Hey, Craig

The reason why these places are allowed to sell C'dale and you're not allowed is very simple...You actually have the know how to fix these simple problems, hence not making money for C'dale. These other shops dont have a clue and first thing they do is send "it" back to C'dale...which is good for C'dale. You need to stop fixing and start sending .

Hey, great idea= Thing is, they make a few bucks off me, that they could be making off of any shop. Parts aren't free, and a decently busy Cannondale dealership could be generating alot of income in basic service, and still send in the really techy stuff to the big guys. To adopt a completely hands off approach, just gives the impression the shop is clueless, which is ultimately bad for the brand, by my reading of it.

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Craig,

I didn't have any of the parts with me that day. All I asked for was if I could order a bearing for the headset. Not a very technical question and something totally unrelated to the fork. The salesman (really a teen age kid) said hold on a sec. Came back from talking with his mechanic and said that he could get the bearing for me and would have to send the fork back to C'dale. I think you hit the nail on the head by saying "clueless" I guess I am not missing as much as I thought, just the lower headset bearing and that upper seal. Can you get those for me? If so, how much?

Quote Originally Posted by ToyFJ60
    Can you get those for me? If so, how much?
    [email protected]

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

Members who have read this thread: 0