Poll: What color Thomson seatpost will look best on my bike?

mtbr member

Silver or black?? New seatpost on my bike

I have a '06 F600.....it is silver (or brushed or whatever its called)... got it used. For whatever reason it has 05 parts on it... and the seatpost has no way to tilt the seat forward or backward....

i need to tilt the seat forward because it hurts.... so I am going to get a thomson seat post....

silver or black thomson seatpost? or should I get a KCNC Ti?

i can't decide... so help me out...

This photo is not my actual bike, its a photo i stole from the "post your ..." forums... but its the same frame...
    Last edited by Urnicus; 04-12-2008 at 11:19 PM.

mtbr member
    black. black goes with everything. the two "silvers" won't match, plus you can transfer that seat post to any bike and it will look good.
    My one says BRAP!

Ridin' dirty!
    I would get the silver one...Especially if you plan to keep it for your next bike. Silver goes with everything, you don't have to worry about color rubbing off when adjusting it a lot, and most parts are lighter in silver
    Black parts just look ugly after a while...I'm a fan of polished parts.
    "Common sense isn't always that common!"
    Custom Prophet and Custom Delta V

mtbr member
    cuffs and collar gotta match if you have a black stem a silver seat post will look like ass if you have silver stem a black seat post will look like ass.

personally the only bikes that look good with a Thompson silver post or stem are titanium in my own humble opinion.

mtbr member
    You gotta rock the black and I'd be looking for a masterpiece post for a good price, I think speedgoat were pretty good last time I was looking. Without a shadow of a doubt get a Thomson post, I did some hard core research a while back and with money as no object the Thomson was still the ultimate choice!

discombobulated SuperModerator
    Jun 2005
    Black stem, black seat....black post...

Ridin' dirty!
    Quote Originally Posted by HAL 9000
    cuffs and collar gotta match if you have a black stem a silver seat post will look like ass if you have silver stem a black seat post will look like ass
    That's why I have everything in polished aluminum/silver....except for my chain rings...
    "Common sense isn't always that common!"
    Custom Prophet and Custom Delta V

mtbr member
    Black, it matches the rest of the cockpit (seat, stem, handlebar).

Like catnip for people
    Quote Originally Posted by cdalemaniac
    I would get the silver one...Especially if you plan to keep it for your next bike. Silver goes with everything, you don't have to worry about color rubbing off when adjusting it a lot, and most parts are lighter in silver
    Black parts just look ugly after a while...I'm a fan of polished parts.
    agree 100%

Black starts to look messy if you're the type of person always adjusting your seat height.

I want a gold seat post... 100% Gold

mtbr member
    I didn't know you could get a post that did not tilt, that would be painful.

I didn't vote as I really dont have any experience with Thomson, but $100 for a metal tube?? I am a big dude at 6'2 230lbs and never bent a post.

Quote Originally Posted by Urnicus
    I have a '06 F600.....it is silver (or brushed or whatever its called)... got it used. For whatever reason it has 05 parts on it... and the seatpost has no way to tilt the seat forward or backward....

i need to tilt the seat forward because it hurts.... so I am going to get a thomson seat post....

silver or black thomson seatpost? or should I get a KCNC Ti?

i can't decide... so help me out...

This photo is not my actual bike, its a photo i stole from the "post your ..." forums... but its the same frame...

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Spend the money for the Thomson Masterpiece...sick light, CNC machined INSIDE and OUT. Pure class...I found one a couple of months ago on e-bay unused, never installed for $90. Be patient, there are deals out there on them. Nicest post I've ever photgraphed, seen, held, installed, or ridden.

Definitely BLACK for all the reasons listed above. The paint really doesn't rub off of a Masterpiece...It has micro-grooves on the surface. You would have to move it up and down A LOT to show signs of wear.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by citybiker
    Spend the money for the Thomson Masterpiece...sick light, CNC machined INSIDE and OUT. Pure class...I found one a couple of months ago on e-bay unused, never installed for $90. Be patient, there are deals out there on them. Nicest post I've ever photgraphed, seen, held, installed, or ridden.

Definitely BLACK for all the reasons listed above. The paint really doesn't rub off of a Masterpiece...It has micro-grooves on the surface. You would have to move it up and down A LOT to show signs of wear.
    Thanks to everyone. A black masterpiece has been ordered!

As for the paint rubbing off, once its set I won't move it around.... I dont lower it for downhill or any of that crap... I just ride XC.

As for Ray Lee... yah its a lot for a freaking pole that you bolt your seat to.... but its lighter than any other seat post. (except KCNC, which is not as friendly to front/backwards adjustability)... and I am pretty sure its lighter than the carbon fiber posts out there too.

mtbr member
    Good call! On these boards there is a lot of debate about bits of gear and which is better, usually (taking money out of the equation) you have pros and cons, I think it really is safe to say that the masterpiece is the best seat post money can buy! It's lighter than almost all but the most fragile carbon posts, stronger than most alloy posts and has a beautifully machined head that is super easy and accurate to use. For such a simple thing as a seat post they really did get it right, the only thing left for anyone to do is find a great deal on one!

Members who have read this thread: 1