mtbr member
    Mar 2007

Should I buy this Scalpel? I have a Rush--please help!

Hey guys, I have a 2006 Rush 600 in a medium but it's too big for me and I need a small (I bought it earlier used). I have a stress fracture in my lower back so I figure getting a bike my size is a pretty pertinent issue.

Someone is selling a Scalpel 2000 from 2006 for $1400 with upgraded SRAM grip shifters.

Should I buy this? It's in my size. I really didn't want to spend so much on a bike especially considering I will no longer have the Cannondale warranty since it's used. She says it was "used and has some nicks here and there but still in very good condition".

Also, I weigh 175lbs--is a Scalpel too ..."light" for me?

And finally, how rough of a terrain can a Scalpel handle? I'm guessing it's not made for taking stairs on, etc as I do on my rush from time to time...

Also, the travel on the lefty is the same as on the rush, right? Only the rear travel is limited?

Thanks guys!

PS--anyone know how much a scalpel weighs in a small? Or approx...

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    anyone?

mtbr member
    At 175lbs you'll be fine on the Scalpel and the front travel is the same as the rush with the Lefty or 80mm with the fatty.
    The main issue I see for you given you have a back problem is the Scalpel will not be as plush as your Rush, it is a race bike and you can kind of think of it as a hard tail that smooths out rough trails, not really for comfort but for tracking and traction.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    What kind of riding do you do? Rush will be more comfortable, Scalpel is a race bike.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by ssc280
    What kind of riding do you do? Rush will be more comfortable, Scalpel is a race bike.

Well, I'm only getting into riding now and I hope to go more in the summer. I will be taking trails with not too many hardcore obstacles--more like just logs, rocks, bumps and small jumps etc. Since I live in the city, I also like ot take my bike down stairs and such at times (is that safe on/for the scalpel or will that damage it easily?).

I may end up putting more of a plush seat on the bike as opposed to a race seat in order to give my back a bit more cushioning. But it's not SO bad and I've actually been having lower back pain while riding my rush now probably because it's big on me.

I figure it would be more comfortable to ride a bike my size anyway.

What do you guys think? Is the scalpel really that much less comfortable to ride if it has a softer seat on?

And most importantly, is it worth the $1400 asking price?

Ridin' dirty!
    For the type of riding you do as mentioned in your last post I don't think the Scalpel will be an option for you....
    You'd be better off getting another Rush or maybe a Prophet frame in the correct size.
    "Common sense isn't always that common!"
    Custom Prophet and Custom Delta V

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by cdalemaniac
    For the type of riding you do as mentioned in your last post I don't think the Scalpel will be an option for you....
    You'd be better off getting another Rush or maybe a Prophet frame in the correct size.

Is the riding too rough for a scalpel or what is it exactly? The thing is, I had an f900sl from 2001 and LOVED the light weight and it felt more responsive than my Rush.

Essentially, 90% of th eriding I do is on paved roads. I just love the beefiness of mountain bikes and having the flexibility to take 2 ft drops or so in random parts of the city and occasionally taking some stairs, and not worrying about too much when I'm riding a bit offroad in the park.

Plus, I haven't been able to find a used rush in my size frame or prophet except on ebay...and I can't afford a new lefty c'dale

Ridin' dirty!
    Well, like mentioned here before the Scalpel is a pure racing bike and not actually designed to "catch air" or do some urban type stuff like stairs 'n stuff.
    Try to sell your frame on eBay and then get the right size Rush frame.
    The Scalpel is a rugged bike but a little too fragile for jumps, logs, stairs etc....

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by cdalemaniac
    Well, like mentioned here before the Scalpel is a pure racing bike and not actually designed to "catch air" or do some urban type stuff like stairs 'n stuff.
    Try to sell your frame on eBay and then get the right size Rush frame.
    The Scalpel is a rugged bike but a little too fragile for jumps, logs, stairs etc....
    What's the point of an XC bike at all then? Is it basically like a road bike for dirt trails?

I thought it could handle some air considering the XC youtube videos I watched hahaha. I never really knew the "definition" of XC :-/

Ridin' dirty!
    Quote Originally Posted by i3eezenotch
    Is it basically like a road bike for dirt trails?

mtbr member
    Well the Scalpel is a XC race bike and that means a couple of things, firstly weight is a huge priority, and of course the lighter the bike the less burly it will be. They are very strong bikes however and can take off road drops rocks etc very well, when you start talking stairs etc though it's a bit of a different ball game, you have to think of it as more of a hard tail in that regard. If your old f900sl can do it the Scalpel should have no trouble, don't expect to act like a Rush though, the suspension is VERY different, like I said before it is not as plush, maybe I should have said not NEARLY as plush! The Scalpel is categorized as a "Soft Tail" not a Full Sus, and that kind of explains where it is at.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by sp3000
    Well the Scalpel is a XC race bike and that means a couple of things, firstly weight is a huge priority, and of course the lighter the bike the less burly it will be. They are very strong bikes however and can take off road drops rocks etc very well, when you start talking stairs etc though it's a bit of a different ball game, you have to think of it as more of a hard tail in that regard. If your old f900sl can do it the Scalpel should have no trouble, don't expect to act like a Rush though, the suspension is VERY different, like I said before it is not as plush, maybe I should have said not NEARLY as plush! The Scalpel is categorized as a "Soft Tail" not a Full Sus, and that kind of explains where it is at.
    Sigh--it's so hard to decide...I mean...I don't NEED to take stairs on my bike and most of my riding otherwise is not too hardcore. I never used my f900sl on stairs or anything like it. But I would still like to be able to take 2 ft drops and stuff on my bike (if I jump a particularly high curve or get a bit of air while at the trail). I wish I could get something in between. I really did love my f900sl's light weight.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    I'm in a similar situation. A friend is selling his medium Scalpel, but I ride a small Super V. XC stands for Cross-Country. But the Scalpel is more of a Race-Day special, a bike geared more towards speed and finesse than jumps and drops. As such, it requires the rider to pick his lines and to be careful. It rewards with great speed and razor-sharp handling. So, the bottom line is: Can you live with a Supermodel(the Scalpel) or an Amazon(the Rush)? If you really want the Scalpel, I say go for it, but remember, you must treat her right. The right size is everything, as I too have a fracture in the lower back and too large of a bike size usually meant that I was in constant pain. A size small Super V took care of it for me.But a Scalpel, well, it's a Scalpel! The question is,Would a medium Scalpel be more of a handful? Sorry, I'm just thinking out loud. You must come up with your own answers. Good Luck!

The Martian
    Jan 2007
    Sigh--it's so hard to decide...I mean...I don't NEED to take stairs on my bike and most of my riding otherwise is not too hardcore. I never used my f900sl on stairs or anything like it. But I would still like to be able to take 2 ft drops and stuff on my bike (if I jump a particularly high curve or get a bit of air while at the trail). I wish I could get something in between. I really did love my f900sl's light weight.
    LBS told me not to even consider a Scalpel if I was going to consider any drops/jumps. I'm 5ft and weigh less than 120lbs.

It's light, fast, and agile, but is most certainly an XC race bike, and without a frame warranty on the used one....

I say don't settle by giving up something you want to do (jumps, drops, stairs) just to get a bike and try to keep it safe. It doesn't matter how nice the bike is; you'll be unhappy.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by CougarTrek
    LBS told me not to even consider a Scalpel if I was going to consider any drops/jumps. I'm 5ft and weigh less than 120lbs.

It's light, fast, and agile, but is most certainly an XC race bike, and without a frame warranty on the used one....

I say don't settle by giving up something you want to do (jumps, drops, stairs) just to get a bike and try to keep it safe. It doesn't matter how nice the bike is; you'll be unhappy.

jeez--so I guess I could at best only jump off curbs on this thing :-/. Sigh...I wish I had the cash to have both haha. But right now it's tough for me to ride my rush because of the size I guess. How is the $1400 price tag? Do you think a 2006 Scalpel 2000 is worth that? I thin kthe fork and frame alone go for over $1200 on ebay from that year. If I can resell it for around the same by the end of summer, I'd buy it and meanwhile try to sell my rush and ride a bike that's my size mostly on paved roads. Then after the rush sells, I can sell the scalpel while looking for a new rush or prophet that's my size.

What do you guys think re: price?

mtbr member
    Nov 2007

... and if we just ...

jeez--so I guess I could at best only jump off curbs on this thing :-/. Sigh...I wish I had the cash to have both haha. But right now it's tough for me to ride my rush because of the size I guess. How is the $1400 price tag? Do you think a 2006 Scalpel 2000 is worth that? I thin kthe fork and frame alone go for over $1200 on ebay from that year. If I can resell it for around the same by the end of summer, I'd buy it and meanwhile try to sell my rush and ride a bike that's my size mostly on paved roads. Then after the rush sells, I can sell the scalpel while looking for a new rush or prophet that's my size.

What do you guys think re: price?
    So you want to buy a 1400 bike, then sell the rush, only to sell that fork and frame a few months later? Doubt you could do it in a timely manner to see much of a turn-around on your 1400. Also, doubtful you could part out the Scalpel fast enough to get a new bike as fast as you wanted. I say, save some money, sell the rush, and squeeze your pennies to get something that you really want.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Method of Rhythm
    So you want to buy a 1400 bike, then sell the rush, only to sell that fork and frame a few months later? Doubt you could do it in a timely manner to see much of a turn-around on your 1400. Also, doubtful you could part out the Scalpel fast enough to get a new bike as fast as you wanted. I say, save some money, sell the rush, and squeeze your pennies to get something that you really want.

Nah, I would sell the whole bike later---my questio nwas if the scalpel is a really good deal at $1400 considering the fork and frame alone go for over $1200?

mtbr member

I would pass on buying the used bike

I think cannondale will only give you a new frame if you are the orginal owner of your bike. so being that.. you might just want to save up and get a new prophet. cannondale just gave me a new prophet 5 to replace my F700 due to a cracked head tube weld and they checked to make sure i was the orginal owner. the prophet frame is very very nice and comfortable. i have done a few 2 ft drops so far and a set of 3 stairs and it holds up very nice.

karl

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Here's a useless tip. Get them both. I did. Scalpel is now a SS, Rush for the long rides. Honestly, if you like the Scalpel, get it, ride it, beat the sh!t out of it, drop it off whatever and when it breaks get a new one. What's the point of stuff if you don't try to wear it out? Then you learn, have fun in the meantime and upgrade. (fit aside) Something shouldn't be replaced until it's hanging off its last bolt (be sure to always clean your bike carefully though).

NEPMCPMBA President
    Jul 2007
    I have an early scalpel, and I've put about 500 miles on it (got it well used) of what I would consider more "all mountain" riding than XC. I've ridden many stairs and drops (although nothing more than maybe 18" or so, and lots of tiny jumps. The bike can handle it (I'm 175lb, on a medium frame). The thing that will kill your back, even on smooth pavement, is the riding position.

Get something other than a scalpel.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    The Scalpel has a pretty aggressive riding position. Figure out what bike suits your riding style the best and figure out a way to get it, save some $ or whatever. It sounds like you are trying to make this work just because of the price.

The Martian
    Jan 2007
    Nah, I would sell the whole bike later---my questio nwas if the scalpel is a really good deal at $1400 considering the fork and frame alone go for over $1200?
    Nothing is a good deal if it doesn't suit your riding style and is likely to cause you pain (XC race positioning and less travel + bad back).

If the Rush really fits you that poorly and it can't be band-aided temporarily with different stems/bars/seat positions, then why not buy a cheap bike (significantly sub $1k), sell the Rush and keep saving up to replace it with what you really want when you find it. Or just bide your time waiting on a medium Rush or Prophet. I don't see it taking that long to find one of those used; they seem to come up all the time (in frameset and complete bike form) on ebay all the time and even on my local craigslist there's about one a month when I'm paying attention. Tend to always be mediums or larges, so you are looking for a common size...

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    you guys are right--no point wastnig $1400 on a bike that's not perfect for me or close to it. Thanks for beating the sense into me!

Members who have read this thread: 0