LA CHÈVRE

Short Scalpel and Prophet ride video

Went for a nice autumn ride yesterday, a beautiful day for a bike ride really. Anyway, there is that section in a trail we hit once in a while and we shot some videos to tease a friend who believed it was almost impossible to do. Like it's often the case, the video and the optic of the camera don't do the trail justice: it's a very sharp uphill left corner with slippery rocks and roots, it's quite steep too.

So, since we ride Cannondales, I thought I'd share with you guys: watch it.

Edit: Quicktime 7 is required.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Dan Gerous; 10-10-2006 at 12:20 PM.

DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

mtbr member
    Not getting anything in my web browser but the broken link symbol....
    Don't ping my cheese with your bandwidth.

LA CHÈVRE
    Quote Originally Posted by coalriver-rider
    Not getting anything in my web browser but the broken link symbol....
    Needs Quicktime 7...

mtbr member
    That worked, thank you sir!
    Don't ping my cheese with your bandwidth.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    The snow bunnies video was AWESOME. I'm in love.

Ya your Short Prophet ride video was good too.

mtbr member
    May 2004

Nice

Great shot Dan
    I ride at Rougemont almost avery week and I can't figure out where is this section.

By the way Dan what is your favorite tire choice for this trail? This year I had luck with the IRC serac 2.1 UST.

LA CHÈVRE
    Quote Originally Posted by Baziboune
    Great shot Dan
    I ride at Rougemont almost avery week and I can't figure out where is this section.

By the way Dan what is your favorite tire choice for this trail? This year I had luck with the IRC serac 2.1 UST.
    Hi Baziboune!

How to explain where it is? Hummm. I don't know the trail names but I'll try. From the 'vergers':

Well, it's a new trail, perhaps two years old. You can get to it from the trail that climbs up to the 'dalot' (there is a huge rock at this trail's junction with the loop from the lake, it climbs almost non-stop from there) but that trail in my video is on your left before you get to the final uphill section. In fact, there are two trails on the left before you hit the final climb up to the top of the 'dalot', it's the first one (the second one just takes you to the 'dalot' too) but it's easy to miss. If you see a trail starting on your right, you missed it, too far by a few meters.

From the lake:

If you climb the 'dalot' after the lake, once you're at the top, go down on the trail at your left (there is a new trail there too so there is the main one on the left and immediatly another one on your left that goes up, stay on the main one) after the steep downhill, you'll see a trail on the left, keep going straight and when the trail goes uphill again, climb a few meters and it will be on your right. I have a map back home so I can post it later.

It's a very fun singletrack. It starts with a twisty climbing with a few switchbacks, it's tight at some point (careful with wide bars) and the part in my video is on that section. Then it goes back down and it's a beauty. I had my Prophet setup in FR mode this weekend and I sure had fun down there. Perhaps we could meet at the 'erabliere' someday... You know what I look like now, silver Prophet with Crossmax SL...

As for tire choice, most all-purpose tires will do. I had Seracs for a while and they worked great. I just like bigger tires, especially when you hit very rocky trails. Right now I have a Hutchinson Spider 2.1 UST Light on the back (about 27-28 PSI) and a Hutchinson Barracuda 2.3 UST Medium up front (25 PSI). I like that setup a lot. My friend on his Scalpel rides with Pythons in the summer and Spiders in the spring and autumn, when it's not dry and he seems happy too. Panaracer Fire XC Pro 2.1 work well too... I suspect the new Panaracer Rampage will be good there too. The place has everything (rock, roots, mud, hardpack, rock gardens...) so a do-it-all tire is the best.

mtbr member
    May 2004

thanks

Thank you Dan, now I remember where it is... and I fail to get through it almost every time ...the low pressure in your tire might be a part of the trick.

The singletrack following this section is indeed very fun and chalenging.
    I would be very happy to take a look at your map if you don't mind posting it or emailing it to me.

Thanks,
    Mart

Members who have read this thread: 0