Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation: broomhandle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    789

    shocking prophet

    so, my 2007 prophet has been around the block a few times. looks perfect, but does have a lot of rides on it.

    my question for you prophet guys....

    shocks.

    i have a swinger rear and a 07 talas front.

    i would like to go 650b, and thinking of a lefty or a fox tapered 15qr. i was thinking maybe even a 150mm....

    and the rear shock, keep it? way too old? something newer change the bike?

    thoughts?

  2. #2
    Just a flesh wound
    Reputation: Prophet Julio's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    2,219
    The Prophet is a great 650b platform. I have the Lefty up front and a Swinger 3way in the back. If your shock holds air, keep it. It helps to have them rebuilt for longevity and consistency. Mine is a 2005 and it has been around the block many times, but keeps coming back for more. I was going to replace it with a 29'er, but I switched to 650b instead and that turned the Prophet into a monster.
    My name is Chris and I ride a Prophet 650b with a Lefty.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    11
    Lefty for sure!

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: 2clue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    1,387
    My favorite combination on the prophet was a 7.875x2inch stroke rear shock (in FR majority of the time) with a 160 fork up front! The slack HT with the low BB made it a great cornering bike. The extra travel up front was superb when I needed it, but unfortunately I have to say it wasn't needed most of the time. I didn't get a chance to try this combination out before I ended up switching the frame out, but I personally think a 650 b setup would be superb. Using a tapered thru axle 140 fork, paired with an angle reducing headset (to lower the bb and also slacken out the bike) would be a great combination for the front. In the rear, my favorite shock so far would be the Manitou Revolver 6, that has been the best of the 7 shock I've tried (Manitou Radium, Manitou 3way, Manitou 3way Coil Manitou ISX 4, Manitou Revolver 6, Fox DHX 4, and Fox Float R).

    Also as a reminder, my setup/preference is aimed towards universal use on the trails. I want the bike to be pedal-able for hours and climb multiple peaks with out hindering me too much. I also want to be able to enjoy the descent to the maximum, corner hard, jump well, and not thrash me around too much. Another note, I am a spinner and not masher/stand up kind of rider. My choices in rear shock is only good if you sit in your seat and pedal....if you stand, look for something with more platform.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: broomhandle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    789
    i want a lefty for the front, but just so expensive. i can get a 2011 fox for 1/2 the price of a 2007ish that prob needs a re-build.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Flayer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    15
    Have in mind that prophet frame design has a pretty extreme falling rate of suspension (goes easy through it's rear travel). So whatever shock you decide to buy, aim for high tune setting (if it's intended for the road, disregard, any shock with some kind of propedal will do fine).

    Personally, in front I have X-fusion Vengeance lowered to 150mm and RS Vivid R2C Coil (high tune) in the back.
    If you're in control, you aren't going fast enough.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: 2clue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    1,387
    Quote Originally Posted by Flayer View Post
    Have in mind that prophet frame design has a pretty extreme falling rate of suspension (goes easy through it's rear travel). So whatever shock you decide to buy, aim for high tune setting (if it's intended for the road, disregard, any shock with some kind of propedal will do fine).
    Don't worry too much about that if you plan on going with an Air shock, by simply reducing the air canister volume you can ramp up the shock at the end of it's travel to work with the Prophet regressive rate.

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Fix the Spade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    2,749
    Quote Originally Posted by broomhandle View Post
    and the rear shock, keep it? way too old? something newer change the bike?)
    I ran mine with a 200x57 shock on the back, gives nearly 160mm (157 I think) of travel and went like a freight train.

    55RC3 on the front, matched to a Yasusu to start with, then a Vivid later. It only truly works in the high setting though, with the longer stroke you sit further into the travel. A 200x57 at sag in the high position is near as damnit a 200x50 in the low at sag.

    In the low setting there were no clearance issues, it just felt too squidgy.

    Shocks are much better now than the old Swingers ever were, a Rockshox Monarch or XFusion O2 will improve the bike noticably, but I like coil springs over lighter weight.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation: broomhandle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    789
    Quote Originally Posted by Fix the Spade View Post
    I ran mine with a 200x57 shock on the back, gives nearly 160mm (157 I think) of travel and went like a freight train.

    55RC3 on the front, matched to a Yasusu to start with, then a Vivid later. It only truly works in the high setting though, with the longer stroke you sit further into the travel. A 200x57 at sag in the high position is near as damnit a 200x50 in the low at sag.

    In the low setting there were no clearance issues, it just felt too squidgy.

    Shocks are much better now than the old Swingers ever were, a Rockshox Monarch or XFusion O2 will improve the bike noticably, but I like coil springs over lighter weight.

    yeah i figured shocks have changed just from 07 alone... thats why i posted that. so the coil vrs air then.

    i really like my DHX 5.0 air on my super V. but different bike....

    plus, i like fox products....

    the swinger is a good shock... but prob something better will make it a better bike....

    i need a front and rims before the rear though....

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    517
    Mne is a 2005 and has an RP23. Large cannister nolume. Ride is great!

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.