mtbr member
    Apr 2008

Shock for a Prophet

Hi,

I have a 2005 Prophet 600 and I love it.
    I want to replace the shock, the original Manitou Radium R Air worked ok, but now I am looking for something with a "lock" position, like Fox Propedal.

So far, Fox Float RP23 seems to be a good option, but I wonder if anyone has a better idea.
    I am moderate rider, love descents and weight +/- 200 lbs.

~
    Tomezbox!

mtbr member
    I have an RP23 on my prophet and I love it. Stiff for up hills and smooth for the decent. It is very active to small bumps and I rarely bottom it out on some of the bigger stuff.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I have a swinger 3way. Made a big difference in my rear. (punn intended)

One thing, if you go with Fox, you will have to get new bushings. If you stay with Answer/Manatu, you can reuse you old ones. One is metric one is SAE, I think. They look nearly the same. One is like 12 mm dia and the other 12.7. Bike companies need to get it straight, All metric, All the time.
    Lead by my Lefty............... right down the trail, no brakes.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    I believe Rockshox is SAE, but not sure....I'd say get a Monarch 4.2 if you can. I believe someone in the shocks forum who got one as soon as it came out called it a "fox rp23 that had been push'd". All the adjustment is definitely nice since the prophet has a bit of a weird falling rate (needs progressive shock in order to make it overall linear, right?)

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    I recently upgraded from a Fox Float R to a RP23, huge improvement. That said I had no complaints about the Float, the RP23 is better in ways I couldn't have imagined. The switchable propedal is a "real" benefit. Feels almost like a hardtail on tough climbs and sprints.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    thanks for your comments...and what do you think about Fox DHX Air 5.0?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ziscwg
    I have a swinger 3way. Made a big difference in my rear. (punn intended)

One thing, if you go with Fox, you will have to get new bushings. If you stay with Answer/Manatu, you can reuse you old ones. One is metric one is SAE, I think. They look nearly the same. One is like 12 mm dia and the other 12.7. Bike companies need to get it straight, All metric, All the time.
    Order my RP23 from a shop, they asked what bike it was for and it came with reducers and bushings. All I had to do was put it in where the old shock was.

mtbr member
    It depends on what kind of riding you do. If you do jumps and drops it might not be a bad idea. If you dont the RP23 would be fine. Plus it costs $$$

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Duncan1104
    It depends on what kind of riding you do. If you do jumps and drops it might not be a bad idea. If you dont the RP23 would be fine. Plus it costs $$$

~ good advice, I decide for the rp23, cheers

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    remember to get the one with the appropriate valving. I've run two seperate rp3s and both felt like crap due to internals not being in sync with the frame (there's three? different sets of rebound valving and getting the right one makes for a massive difference - hopefully, mine felt like crap - look below).

personally i would recommend a manitou evolver isx6, or if not an isx1 though i have no experience with the latter. Personally i prefer a shock with a piggyback as one can better tune the last parts of the stroke - meaning better performance (especially down hill and it's able to handle rougher riding. THOUGH, if your intended use is more xc style a properly assembled rp2 would suit you really well i guess with good suspension action as well as decent weight. Also, if you can get a 3way swinger (cheap or relatively cheap) go for it. After all it's what the frame was designed around and it's a more than decent shock. Setting it up requires a tiny amount of work, but it is well worth it. A small increase or decrease in spv pressure totally transforms the ride from a plush to more effiencet design.

Having had experience with both rp3s, evolvers and swingers i would say my prefered shock is one one can set and forget, but that one can fine tune in all the major settings (sag, compression (low and high speed) and rebound. So of these three the evolver is the better imo, for my use anyway. A cane creek is the perfect choice, but i find the weight penalty to be too stiff for a prophet style frame/bike.

and yes, i'm more of an enduro rider so my ideal shock for my prophet is an evolver (it's getting one transfered from my other bike when i can afford a double barrel for that one). Right now the 3 way swinger does a fabolous job, though it comes a little bit short for the full on dh part of enduro riding i tend to do.

Members who have read this thread: 0