mtbr member
    Mar 2005

Setting up SPV ->Prophet

Hi there.
    Happy new owner of P1000 '06.

However, I would like to change the SPV set up - both of the Lefty and Swinger 3.

Lefty: could be "more firm" - so should I just turn the big red hex bolt at the bottom of it - or should I reach straigth for the pump?

Swinger: I think there's enough air in the main chamber - I do not bottom it out and the black plastic band has only been pushed to one inch before bottoming out. However, I think the rebound is too slow/soft - so should I turn the rebound dial (blue button) - and in which direction - or add air in the SPV?

I am a fairly light rider 150lbs if that has anything to say, and maybe I still thinking in hardtail terms when wanting the bike to be firmer?

But the bike - yihaaa! - it just puts a smile on my face!

LA CHÈVRE
    Lefty:
    More firm? It sags too much? Bobs too much? Bottom out too much? If sag is not right, you need to add preload to the spring or even put a stiffer spring if it's way too soft. If it bobs too much, add pressure to the SPV valve down the Lefty, if everything is fine (sag, rebound, bobbing) but you bottom out, turn the big hex down the Lefty (it controls the progressivness of the Lefty). Also play with the rebound, it can affect the feel of the Lefty and it's the quickest and easiest adjustment to try, you don't even have to stop riding!

Swinger:
    Again, play with the rebound and see what it does, it's easy. SPV will make the rear end harsher/softer on small bumps and control bobbing.

With so many adjustments you are new to, test them, bring your pump and tools to a trail you know well, and try the same section (with varied terrain, climb, downhill, bumps, turns, rocks, roots, whatever) a few times with different settings. It's the best way to know what adjustment does what on the bike. Experiment.

DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

Members who have read this thread: 0