mtbr member
    Aug 2004

service manual for lefty?

Anyone know of a source for a factory service manual for a lefty? I have a DLR2 and I would like to know how to service it. My LBS won't even change the negative spring for me - they don't open them up, they just ship it off to Cannondale for everything. The next closest LBS is a ways away. I have the tools necessary to do the work (and if I don't I will buy them) and no fear of working on things as long as I have documentation. I don't think I should have to ship my lefty back to the factory to have a spring and oil change...

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Spin, Grid, Huck Repeat.

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by tshrey
    Anyone know of a source for a factory service manual for a lefty? I have a DLR2 and I would like to know how to service it. My LBS won't even change the negative spring for me - they don't open them up, they just ship it off to Cannondale for everything. The next closest LBS is a ways away. I have the tools necessary to do the work (and if I don't I will buy them) and no fear of working on things as long as I have documentation. I don't think I should have to ship my lefty back to the factory to have a spring and oil change...
    Sounds like a bad shop, what you are asking for is a cake walk with the tools. Are you sure you have the right ones, you would have had to know what to get in order to do so, so I ask with concern for you and your riding. I service these regularly, and would offer to help, but it sounds as though you want to do it yourself. Contact me @ cats3elton@aol.com if you need assistance, I can get you the knowledge and the tools,, but you have to be able to get in deep and dirty, this is not like hanging a new derailluer on your bike. Manuals are no replacement for hands on experience with a knowledgable tech standing by to offer help, many things are touchy in these, and the words don't rplace experience. Good luck, let me know if I can be of help.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    You guys are gonna love this...

I decided to take the bike to another lbs that is a bit of a hike from me, but the place is huge and they seem to do a good business in Cdales. Last night I took the bike in and they were very busy getting customers their bikes, taking orders, etc. One of the guys said someone would be with me asap - no big deal, I take the time to walk around the shop and see what they have.

Anyway, finally one of the squids behind the desk comes out and fills out a service tag, get my info, and asks what I want done. 'I want the negative spring changed to the stiffest one available'. Squid says, 'uh, do you know which fork it goes in?' Me 'which fork?' Squid 'which fork leg?' I just look at him for a second and ask 'you aren't going to be the one to install this are you?' He looks a little put out and I point out that there is only one fork leg on a lefty. Then he says 'what happened to the other fork leg?' I was ready to carry the bike out at that point, but one of the other guys hears what's going on and jumps in, laughing, and says that the guy I was talking to just started that day. It's always great to see someone's first reaction to a lefty...

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    Hilarious, and a good ending too! Were they able to help you?

Safe
    I'm looking for a lefty service manual myself. Any online?