mtbr member

sell or keep the lefty?

ive got a 140mm lefty max tpc with project 321 clamps sitting around. it was meant to go on a niner rip9 build, but i ended up getting a different bike (complete) and dont see the lefty build happening for a long while.

so i was thinking of selling it to help offset the cost of the bike i got. but these leftys seem like a rarity and as the supply of them are drying up on ebay, i am wondering if i should just hold on to it. i am wondering if longer travel leftys (140mm or more) are in cannondales future or if they are slowly moving away from leftys alltogether.

advice? should i keep it or sell? anybody know whats going on with future generations of leftys?

mtbr member
    May 2007
    If you are not seeing a build anytime soon, I would sell it. They do have the 130 mm Leftys out and you could score a used one of those down the road and it could be better. If you are a long travel guy, then that may not work for you.

I dont see Cannondale moving from the lefty anytime soon. With two new models out, I think they need to recover some R&D costs on them. I'm no Cdale insider, I just ride and read.
    Lead by my Lefty............... right down the trail, no brakes.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Keep the Lefty. It is part of what makes Cdale unique and gives it that ride character

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mickeydesadist
    Keep the Lefty. It is part of what makes Cdale unique and gives it that ride character
    Yes I'd do the same, in fact, I'm doing it. I was about get a Pike and new XT wheels for my Prophet, but in the end I just jumped out of it and will carry on with the Lefty. It would be non sense junk it out for any other fork. I'll be buying a stronger set of wheels and just be happy with my Lefty.

The Martian
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by mickeydesadist
    Um...good argument if the Lefty was currently attached to a Cdale. It wasn't, already has a 321 adapter on it, and was destined for a RIP 9 (NOT a Cdale)....

to the op:

If you had a project in mind for it I'd say keep it. Since you don't though you might be better off just selling it. You'll be able (likely) to get a Lefty Max again as they are making a new version (either now or next year).

mtbr member
    thanks for the input guys, ziscwg, cougartek for actually reading my post.
    i will probably sell it.

i had gotten a surprise deal on a fisher hifi 29 with the special offset fox fork. which meant a postponement (at the least) on a rip9. the lefty max offset and length mess up the fishers g2 geometry which is something i like, so i wasnt gonna switch out forks.

too bad cause i really like leftys.

and cannondales in general, if thered been a rush 29, i wouldve gone that way.

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by snowdenn
    th the lefty max offset and length mess up the fishers g2 geometry which is something i like, too bad cause i really like leftys..
    Guess that won't be a problem any more, particularly since Jake @ P321 just shipped my G2 offset corrected clamp set.......
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    If you're not going to use it any time soon move it on. Machinery is not like wine it does
    not improve with age. In a year or so's time there is bound to be something newer and better from Cannondale, or possibly even from some other manufacturer!

mtbr member
    Guess that won't be a problem any more, particularly since Jake @ P321 just shipped my G2 offset corrected clamp set.......
    what? mendon, stop messing with me...

where to begin... does that mean that the offset is equal to the fox (i believe 51mm)? dont i also have to take the fork length into account?

great. i mightve just went from making a few hundred on the lefty to spending it on clamps and wheel. although maybe i could sell the fox instead...

mendon, can you give me some specifics? what fork/bike are you using it for? (translation: would it work fine for a fisher hifi 29?) i would assume so since it is g2 offset corrected. and how much is jake selling these things for?

mtbr member
    Snowden,
    It's technically not "g2 corrected". We shifted the Bonded adaptors .125" forward witch would give you approximately 48mm of offset. That is as far forward as we could move them. Now, I should know more about this and hopefully some of the current lefty/fisher riders will chime in, but I am sure that the fork length does play a part in the geometry but how much with regards to g2 geometry I can't say. I can say that we have shipped several of these out to mostly fisher riders and some 29er guys that are tweaking with their handling and they seem to feel like it is doing the trick.

Now in your case I don't think this will help because you have the "clamp on" crowns (correct?) and this adaptor is for the "bonded" crown lefty's. Sorry!

I hate to hear that you might have to get rid of the lefty, I may have an offset crown set
    for use on the lefty's like yours in the future but it would be a while.

Jake

mtbr member
    Now in your case I don't think this will help because you have the "clamp on" crowns (correct?) and this adaptor is for the "bonded" crown lefty's. Sorry!
    no worries, thats, um, probably good news for my overspending tendencies. i should get rid of the lefty and stop trying to figure out ways to put more money into mtbing. i need to stop trying to carry the national economy with my credit card...

thanks though jake. i will look for you if and when i put a lefty on something.
    Last edited by snowdenn; 05-01-2008 at 10:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by pumpkinbiter
    Snowden, It's technically not "g2 corrected".

Thanks for chiming in Jake. I didn't see this till just now, but your answer is far more involved and concise than mine would have been, and I appreciate your clearing up my G2 comment. Should have worded that a bit better..... Still looking forward to trying it though

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    Mendon,
    Didn't mean to correct you, I think I have heard someone else say that too.
    Hope I didnt' give you the wrong impression when we spoke about them. And actually
    when considering the fork length it may actually be "g2 corrected" I havn't done the
    geometry on the topic. I guess I should. Any geometry experts out there care to
    jump in?

Quote Originally Posted by pumpkinbiter
    Mendon,Didn't mean to correct you,
    Oh no, didn't take it that way. I was rather lazily using the term, since there aren't other named offsets out there, it's kind of the BandAid/Xerox of the fork world

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    So I have a lefty max that i was thinking of putting on my Indie Fab.
    There is a Fox 29er fork on it now but it really tends to make the bike handle very quickly. it seems like the wheel it tucked in closer to the frame and with less of an offset.

Would the 321 conversion help this with the 48 rake?

mtbr member
    Mudpimp,
    You would have to compare axle to crown distances. If they where equal then yes.
    But you might find out that the lefty axle to crown distance already helps your situation without offseting the lefty.

Remember that the offset adaptors are for the bonded lefty's only.
    And of course your stack height must be 5.417" or less.
    Oh, and you may need to limit the travel unless you already have a 29er lefty.

Jake

Members who have read this thread: 0