mtbr member
    Jun 2011

Seatstay flex: alloy flash 29er

Is it just me or is there a ton of flex?

Theres no flex up and down but when I squeez the seatstays with pne hand there is, what seems to me to be alot of flex. This is with the wheel in the drop outs. With the wheel out its even worse lol.

This is my first higher end bike. I just gave it a good inspection and there is no cracks in the frame or welds. Just more or less curious if its a cannondale thing or all the light aluminium bikes are this way.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Also wanted to ask if the rear triangle is symetrical on left and right.

My rear wheel is super close to the non drive side chain stay and further away on the driveside. Wheel sits in te drop outs correctly and wheel is not noticably untrue.

Heres a pic

Drive side

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    I wouldn't worry about the flex. Those stays are more slender than in the past to make the ride more comfortable. And over all the frame seems pretty laterally stiff in the rear end.

But either your rear triangle is way out of alignment or your wheel needs to be redished. An easy way to check which it would be to grab a wheel from another bike that is known to be dished correctly and put it in your frame. If you see the same clearance difference, then the problem is with the frame or drop out facing. If not then it is just the dish of your wheel.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    I should have also mentioned that rear rims tend to migrate towards the non drive side as they lose tension because the drive side spokes need more (tension).

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    That makes sense. Plus I trued out a slight wobble awhile back but did it on the bike. No wobbles but im theres a good chance I screwed the dishing up.

I have a new hub coming and will pay to have it trued and dished, so I will now then if the frame has issues. From all the pics I have seen the tire should be centered somewhat.
    Thanks

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    I agree with chili... I have the identical bike and my rear wheel is dead center between the stays. I did have my own rear hub issue a few days ago (a wee bit of play in the bearings). Nothing a couple of wrenches couldn't fix. Is that why you're upgrading yours?

I'm going to tough it out until spring for a tubeless wheel upgrade all around.

LA CHÈVRE
    It was Ibis founder and boss Scott Nicol who told a bike magazine editor that was complaining about rear end flex when pulling with his hands with the good old Ibis Bow-Ti softail: "if you test a bike and it's preformance by squeezing the stays with your hands, you obviously know nothing about bike design/engineering/performance" (or something like that).

If you find the bike flexy when riding it, it's an issue but the squeeze with your hands test doesn't mean much... even less without a wheel as the wheel is an integral part of a bike design. Every rear triangles and non-Lefty forks are designed to use the wheel as one of it's structural part (try to flex a two-legged fork with no wheel in, very easy). The seatstays alone don't make the bike's stiffness, it's only one part and in most modern bikes, the lateral stiffness is more taken cared of by the chainstays... but it's a complete package and what matters is the stiffness when ridden.

As for the alignment, good tips from above. I'd also suspect the wheel itself.

DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Thanks guys. The bike does not feel flexy when riding. And i know they have the save system to so I was worried for nothing.

I to have some bearing noise but it is when freewheeling. Im replacing the hub because I cant stand the low POE. For the price of the bike, it is a very low quality part.

The hope hub isnt much higher of a POE but I couldnt pass up the price.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I used to sell alpine skis, and, I'd love it when a customer would come in and pull a bunch of skis off of the rack and try to flex them as much as possible, as if that was the way to determine whether a ski was "good" or not .

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Just a quick update...it appears my rear wheel is wandering in the opposite direction, towards the drive side. Noticed today climbing a steep hill and heard the chain rubbing on the tire. Yes, I admit it, I grannied it.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Laced up my hope hub, trued it up and its now in the center again. I had fun building a wheel and truing it. I did drop it at the lbs for a final tension and there was a vertical dip I wasnt comfortable getting rid of it.

Its all good now. Although im suprised its far enough over to rub the chain.

Members who have read this thread: 0