Thread: Scalpel weights

mtbr member
    May 2005

Scalpel weights

So here's some weights from my Med Scalpel 2 that just showed up. Most of the parts are going elsewhere but thought you might like to see them regardless. Also pics of the Fox Lefty and an '08 SL and the DT Swiss/Sun wheelset.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Sean Allan; 03-27-2008 at 05:44 PM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Thanks for the weights, I'm surprised by the weight difference between Lefty SL vs Fox

Not trying to be a jerk or anything, but why you got those brakes? There're lighter brakes out there. I ask cause you got a light frame, wheels, fork, etc. and it doesn't makes sense to me.

LA CHÈVRE
    Quote Originally Posted by jiar577
    Thanks for the weights, I'm surprised by the weight difference between Lefty SL vs Fox

Not trying to be a jerk or anything, but why you got those brakes? There're lighter brakes out there. I ask cause you got a light frame, wheels, fork, etc. and it doesn't makes sense to me.
    They are the brakes he took off the Scalpel 2...
    What puzzles me is that the wheels are lighter than my Crossmax SLR's... Damn Mavic!

DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Yeah the brakes pictured are the ones that came with the bike. The only thing I am using from the original bike is the frame, everything else is going to be spread around to other bikes. The wheels were a pleasant surprise, not super light but well within reason and better than I thought. Actually the bike was pretty good spec wise. The cranks, brakes, cassette and seat were all REAL heavy, beyond that it was all decent stuff for that price point. I weighed everything that came off if anyone needs some info. The new non SI frame is only 170 grams lighter than the old non SI frame, but it appears to have way more side to side stiffness in the rear swingarm

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

scalpel 1 weight

23.3 pounds out of the box. size large.

FIRENZE rulez !!
    but is wheelset for tube or tubeless ?

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Tubes, so you have to add the weight of the rim strip if you're going tubeless.

Rode it last night, 25 miles with about 3000' of climbing here in NorCal. with the stock wheelset.
    I would have to agree with some that it does not climb quite as well as the old version. I ran it at about 130 pounds with the pro pedal in the 2 position for most seated climbs and it just seems a little dead. It by no means is slower on the climbs, it just feels like it's a bit more work to pull the same gear, it could be just a slightly different position on the bike as well, something that I am sure I will get dialed in. Standing climbing on the bike is good with the pro pedal on or off, not much movement, and it is not bobing around a bunch in either setting, seated or standing. The thing is a VAST improvement in seated rough roller sections and anything that goes downhill, really just a major improvement in that aspect, no squirmy rear end anywhere.

My reason for getting the bike was for endurance racing here on the West Coast, and to this end I think it is a much better bike than the Rush, lighter and just as fast with better climbing attributes. As a straight up 2-3 hour race bike, I will have to spend some more time on it to decide. Got 8 hours of racing next weekend to get some more impressions of the bike.
    Oh, it's 21pounds 11 oz with the stock wheelset and NO stupid parts, I've never had an equipment failure and I don't plan on it with this bike either. Eliflap's bike is super nice, but really, that bike would last about 5 minutes around here. Should be right around the low 21's with the new Stans/DT wheelset and real tires.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    How much did the cranks weigh? I can't any info on them anywhere. I would like to know what kind of weight I would save by changing them out.

FIRENZE rulez !!
    not mine , from the web

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Stock Stylo cranks were 949g w/ bottom bracket, can you say boat anchor.........Steel small ring, alum. outer and middle.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Thanks Sean, that was the info i was after. I have a XTR M960 crankset that I was thinking about installing but wasn't sure what type of weight savings I would get but it looks like I would save about 150 grams by switching the stock ones out.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Did you say 130psi in the rear shock? That is pretty high for this bike. What kind of sag do you get at that psi? 7-8mm of sag should add a little more gitty-up to the bike and take away that dead fealing. The carbon stays act like springs on the Scalpel 100. So, you can run way less than you would on the old Scalpel.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by gk02
    Thanks Sean, that was the info i was after. I have a XTR M960 crankset that I was thinking about installing but wasn't sure what type of weight savings I would get but it looks like I would save about 150 grams by switching the stock ones out.
    Are you saying your XTR M960 crankset are 150grams less than the 616 gram c'dale set?

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by fueledbymetal
    Are you saying your XTR M960 crankset are 150grams less than the 616 gram c'dale set?
    You must have missed Seans post below the picture of the SI cranks. The stock cranks that come with the scalpel 2 that he is picturing are the Sram cranks that he says weigh 949 grams. So if my XTR cranks weigh 800 grams like they are listed then that would be 150 grams.

I'm not sure why the picture of those cranks was listed because those aren't an option for this bike as it doesnt have an SI bottom bracket like the scalpel 1 or team.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Sean - what other parts would be worth swapping for a worthwile weight savings? How about the seatpost and bars?

I plan on swapping seat, cassette, and cranks from my scalpel 2 for sure but would anything else net a real weight advantage for the money that you would have to spend?

Thanks

FIRENZE rulez !!
    what do you think of my tuning ?

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=389853

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by gk02
    You must have missed Seans post below the picture of the SI cranks. The stock cranks that come with the scalpel 2 that he is picturing are the Sram cranks that he says weigh 949 grams. So if my XTR cranks weigh 800 grams like they are listed then that would be 150 grams.
    Ah, my bad - thanks!

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by eliflap
    what do you think of my tuning ?

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=389853
    That is certainly impressive but most of that tuning is definetely out of my budget.

I am just looking for the best bang for the buck swaps I could do with the scalpel 2 to get the weight down a little while still having an everyday rideable bike. So things like like maxxis maxlite tires and aluminium rotors and cogs aren't things I would probably buy because they are awesome for elite racers on raceday but I'm not fast enough for that stuff to even make a difference in my race results.

Now changing out a heavy 400 gram steel Sram cassette like the one that comes on the scalpel 2 to something like an XT or XTR that weighs like 250 grams and save 150 grams for about 100 bucks is something I can manage and justify.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Here's some pics of some of the stuff you are looking to change. I saved 1200 grams by changing the post,crank,seat,brakes, bar, shifters,cassette, and ders. The new wheelset will also save an additional 300grams. I had an SL on my old Scalpel so there is a ton of weight savings right there. I wanted the Fox to go on my 1FG so that is why I settled on the 2, I think you will be real happy with the feel of the Fox, much better than the SL.
    None of my new stuff is ultra light or super expensive, all stuff that will stand up to real riding. My old Scalpel has almost 4000 miles of RACING yet alone just normal riding, with no parts failures. Be smart with your money and change parts as needed or as you see fit and eventually you will end up with a really light, ridable bike. Sounds like you are well on your way.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Sean - Thanks for the pictures and info. I am glad to see that some of the stuff like the handlebars and seatpost aren't terribly heavy so over time I can lighten things up by swapping some of it out but not something I need to worry about right away. It looks like by just switching some of the basics like the seat, cassette, and cranks I will lose a fair amount of weight right off the start. Down the line I can build a lighter race wheelset and keep the stock one for everyday riding. Thanks again.

Members who have read this thread: 0