Scalpel frame protector/tape on downtube?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2005

Scalpel frame protector/tape on downtube?

I just bought a used Scalpel frame and it has a 3" x 5" piece of some type of tape on the downtube about 3" from the BB. Was this original or did the previous owner put it on there.

I was also curious to know from any Scalpel owners, what does your drive side dropout and piviot point show for chain slap. This one has no paint left on the alloy dropout area where the CF ends, and the area below the pivot. It was claimed to have 5-6 test rides only

There is more to the story, but I'll wait until later to mention them. I only want to concentrate on these questions first.

Did I get purchase something that was not as advertised?

mad aussie
    [QUOTE=jekyllrider]I just bought a used Scalpel frame and it has a 3" x 5" piece of some type of tape on the downtube about 3" from the BB. Was this original or did the previous owner put it on there.

Not there from stock, was definately added later to prevent cable rub

I was also curious to know from any Scalpel owners, what does your drive side dropout and piviot point show for chain slap. This one has no paint left on the alloy dropout area where the CF ends, and the area below the pivot. It was claimed to have 5-6 test rides only:QUOTE]

Mine was used as well, and despite lots of long rides had plenty of paint in that area, I dont think it had only 5-6 test rides

Kevin

LA CHÈVRE
    I agree with Kevin. The downtube protection could have been to protect the frame from a carrying rack like a Thule Big Mouth for exemple. A friend of mine is a bit overprotective of his Scalpel so he has a Lizard Skin Shock cover and uses the remaining portion of it wrapped around the downtube to protect it when putting it on the roof... Or it could be to hide a dent?

DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

mtbr member
    May 2005

is it a carbon scalpel?

the new carbon downtubes all come with a giant sized piece of protective tape to prevent paint chip from flying gravel. its the same 3m clear tape material used as frame saver to prevent cable rub.

i recommend keeping it on there as lefties have always kicked up a little more rock than dual stanchion shocks, IMO.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005

'06 frame

Not carbon. Dan was on the money about what was under the tape, a big dent. Seller said it had a small dent, I would hate to take him fishing.

Cannondale Snob
    Good luck on returning the bike. Any dent on these thin-walled aluminum tubes renders the bike unsafe to ride- even a small one.

BTW: Mylar tape is the clear tape best used to prevent cable-rub. I need to go buy some very soon...
    '06 Cannondale Rush 1000 4" travel 27lbs
    '04 Cannondale F600 SOBE -STOLEN!
    '96 Cannondale Uber-V 6" travel 30lbs

mtbr member
    Apr 2005

Look at this!

I peeled back the black tape and look what I found. There was evidence of a small dent with the tape, but you could not see how deep it was.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Jul 2006

substantial

I would definately call that a big dent. I've dented two frames before, but the dents were more gently shaped; I would think the more dramatic the deformation is, the more it weakens the tube. I don't think that the dent is in a common place for a frame to fail, but I would be a little worried none the less. Anybody else seen a frame break in that location?

By the way, is this same bike with the crack in the chainstay? If it is, I think I'm beginning to see a trend with the seller; he's dirty.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006

My Scalpel dent

I just bought an '07 Team Scalpel from MTB review classifieds and, although the seller said it was perfect, I discovered two small dents under the downtube. Pretty discouraging. I thought the seller was a straight shooter, but obviously, I was wrong. He won't take it back and I wonder if I should worry about them. I don't think they are serious enough to cause a failure. A bummer.....
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Wow! And now there are two similar threads.
    What do I know, ask the "experts"!

LA CHÈVRE
    Crooks!

DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

mtbr member
    Apr 2006

It's sad...

what ever happened to good old fashioned honesty.

mtbr member
    it is being f* every day...excuse my French.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Isn't there some kind of seller/buyer feedback on the classified?

If you two bought from the same seller, let him have it on the feedback.

If not, let them both have it. At least no one will be mislead again.

You can take them to small claims court for misleading advertising, but I think you have to file in the area they are in.
    Crusin' on a fake duck with a Sharks jersey on and a pig's tail in my fork.

Giving me negative rep only encourages me.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005

I finally got a refund!

The seller took back my frame and refunded my money. This was the same one in this thread as GrahamB mentioned above: http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=354957.
    I didn't complain to him about the dents until I heard his response to the cracked chainstay. He said he was going to fight USPS for the damage. I am still not sure the frame wasn't damaged before he shipped. I have been watching to see if it shows up for sell agian, still cracked!

Buyer beware!

mtbr member
    yeah...got a cracked frame? sell it here and let USPS to pay for it!

What a great system! Now I know why USPS can't pay for the package I proved them that they lost (it never left USPS building per the tracking info). Coz they are people who abuse the system and they can't keep all clients happy, can they?

If you know for sure he is abusing the system why don't you go to your local USPS to have him busted?

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Man, that scalpel frame was a really piece of crap! I'm glad that got rid of it

Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by jekyllrider
    The seller took back my frame and refunded my money. This was the same one in this thread as GrahamB mentioned above: http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=354957.
    I didn't complain to him about the dents until I heard his response to the cracked chainstay. He said he was going to fight USPS for the damage. I am still not sure the frame wasn't damaged before he shipped. I have been watching to see if it shows up for sell agian, still cracked!

Buyer beware!
    Wow, that's even more dirty! He tries to blame it on the USPS? For shame! Well, I'm just joking around. If that really was the USPS' doing, then I know I'll be delivering holiday platter in-person. I still think it was the seller's fault and he was just trying to look for a quick scapegoat.

Members who have read this thread: 0