Thread: Same old Lefty

mtbr member
    Jan 2013

Same old Lefty

I am have a 2006 left DLR 110. It is holding air, doesn't leak oil. It makes an odd light knocking sound with every hit but holds steady and seems to work fine. So what's the deal? I'm at a point where I can actually upgrade to a current aluminum Lefty. I called my LBS about a service and they said it was so old, there is no service. It gets gutted for $650 or replaced for $750. Okaaay. That puts me at replacement. Any ideas on whether the new Lefty is worth going for?

btc
    mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Try Mendon Cycle Smith.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I grew up about 10 minutes from mendon cycle smith. It is one of the best shops i have ever set foot in. They are great people and lefty experts. Give them a shot an you will be glad you did

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    Politely, your shop is kinda wrong on all counts.

Were they to send it Cannondale, it's still serviceable as it's newer than 2005.

Not sure what they mean by gutted for $650, but assume they mean new internals and serviced (but that makes no sense as they said it can't be serviced in the first place). It would likely get a damper replacement which is a little under $300 in parts, plus whatever they charge for labor. Way less than $650 though, you'd likely end up with a $450ish bill if I recall their service pricing properly, so the shop is profiting handily there for virtually no effort whatsoever.

And $750 is $50 over the MSRP for trade in on an alloy Lefty, so they're over charging you on that too.

Sorry, just calling it like it is, don't get me wrong, shops should make a buck (and deserve to if they do good work and treat folks fairly), but when it becomes punitive because in reality they'd rather sell you a new bike than let you keep a good one rolling, and have to get out tools in the process, that bugs me.....

Fork should be quite serviceable as is without a damper replacement, assuming no one has gone in and messed it up with bad tools or technique.
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Thanks, man. I actually had the voicemail of the last estimate on my phone and listened to it again to verify what I said in the first place. What I said was accurate. I think I am running into, at least at this bike shop, is some misunderstanding, which is weird because they told me they had talked with Cannondale about the the fork. What I do know is, yes, apparently pre-2006 Lefty forks are obsolete and so must be replaced. But I have a first year Rush-2006 (had--snapped the frame, now a Rze 120, but still have the fork). The fork is a DLR2. I am trying the only other Cannondale dealer in town tomorrow and talking with their mechanics to see if I can get a knowledgeable answer. But at the other LBS I was quoted $667 for rebuild or one hundred more for exchange. If anything I looked up and signed up for service through Mendon Cycle if my other LBS is confused. Funny how technology is really getting very fast paced. I should call Mendon cycle tomorrow come to think of it...

Quote Originally Posted by On the Rocks View Post
    pre-2006 Lefty forks are obsolete and so must be replaced.
    Nope, pre '05 not 6 (just to keep info on line accurate should it be stumbled across), and not replaced, just won't get worked on by Cannondale. Still safe and functional, assuming their overall condition is okay....

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Thank you for your help, Mendon Cycle Smith. You have helped yet another in a moment of confusion. I have beat this shock to hell and gone and can't believe after nearly four years it is still fine and in need of no maintenance. I called another local shop known for their work with Cannondales and took it down for them to take a look at. They shared a lot, that the DLR2 is a bombproof fork and after a quick inspection mine is still going strong. I just thought after so much time I was sitting on a time bomb and with the summer and some events, I am trying to take care of all mechanical issues proactively. At least the Lefty is not an problem.

After 4 years of riding as you describe?

Well past time get it serviced, I'd ask if they can do it for you.

Not too sure what sort of inspection they can do, unless you pull the damper you can't see that the damper caps are loose.

The noise you described sounds like air in the oil (which implies oil loss in the damper), or a loose damper shaft connection.

Surprised by the fact that they'd have just peeked under the hoods to speak and sent you on your way. Prime moment to sell some service....

Cannondale recommends annual service, I've always said bi-annual is likely fine assuming it all seems fine, but at four+ years of hard use, that fork is on borrowed time before something becomes an issue.

YMMV.

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    ok, great. Nah, they just rocked it back and forth and tested the lockout. I'm sure these guys meant well. I don't know why they didn't offer to get into it and check things out, retrofit it with the sleeve that keeps the bearings from migrating. Well, looks like I'll send it in. As soon as I figure out how to take it off the bike...

Quote Originally Posted by On the Rocks View Post
    retrofit it with the sleeve that keeps the bearings from migrating.
    This can't be done. Want that "auto reset" function? You'd need to buy a new Hybrid Lefty....

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    May 2015
    I got a 2001 elo lefty. Is this service able?

Quote Originally Posted by pauljones48 View Post
    I got a 2001 elo lefty. Is this service able?
    I know I can do them, Cannondale will say no, and I have no idea what other service centers or shops will say.

If the lock out is working, it can remain so, no, it cannot be converted to manual anymore (#1 question asked about them) and if it's dead, it's best to deactivate it's locking abilities, as they can work into a locked out state with riding, and it's then very difficult to fix as you need to be able to compress it, to get into it....

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    May 2015
    thanks for the info. Two year ago the elo work but will really take a look at when I do the next upgrade to it.