mtbr member
    Mar 2008

RZ 120 Suspension setup help

I have a 2012 RZ 120 with a Gold Recon 120 mm fork and an RT Monarch rear shock.I have 175 psi in the Monarch and that gets me to about 30% sag when I sit on the saddle, which I think is where I want to be. Same goes for the Recon - 30% sag.

However, the ride is extremely stiff. After riding some typical singletrack trails only half the travel has been used during the ride. I expected the bike to ride stiff during climbs but was not expecting the stiff ride during normal single track type trails. I even go off some drops and still just about half the rear suspension is used.

So finally to my question: What am I doing wrong? What settings should my damper and gate dials be at?

Thanks.

Helmetless Crasher
    Sounds odd. 25% is suggested sag.

Are you über lightweight?
    What size drop is using 1/2 travel?

What bike(s) are you coming from? Why do you say your RZ suspension is too stiff?
    '95 M2 StumpJumper FS
    '11 Cannondale RZ 120-two

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    I'm 170 and my last bike was a Giant Attack with 5.3" of travel with a 4 bar suspension setup. When I say the ride is stiff I mean it feels like I'm riding my hard tail. The suspension does not eat up nearly enough of the rough stuff and I feel like im going to get bucked off my bike. I have to ride a lot slower down trails than with my last bike to be able to keep control. Then when I look at how much travel I used its only half.

I'll try 25% but that won't fix my problem.

Thanks.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Try slowing down the rebound damping on both front and rear. That should help the feeling of getting bucked off. Reducing compression damping will also make it feel plusher and use more travel.

Members who have read this thread: 0