mtbr member

Rush reviews after 1 year?

I'm thinking about ordering Rush all aluminum frame (not a huge fan of Carbon on MTBs) and building it up with new XTR. They've been out for a year now, so how's the bike been?

For those that have warranteed them, what were the problems?

I've riding a Santa Cruz superlight and really liked the design - however, I broke one and got it replaced by Santa Cruz. Since the Rush is a similar design - how does it compare: performance/durability/weight?

Also - I'm 6'2" and rode a large Scalpel - what size Rush would I ride (I like a long top tube, but the XL Scalpel was too long).

Thanks a lot for your feedback!

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I got a Rush 800 in Race Red back in June, and absolutely love it! I am 6' 4" and 190 lbs, and I ride an XL. It's important to note that the Rush frames seem to run a bit small for some reason, much smaller than the same size Scalpel or Prophet, so you are definitely looking at an L if not an XL, depending on your inseam. Mine weighs around 30 lbs with mostly LX components and the dual control levers work great.

The bike accelerates, handles, and rides well overall. For as heavy as it is, you certainly don't feel it, and it feels more like a 27 lb bike. My only issues so far were a squeeling front brake, a flexing seatpost that will be replaced, and an unknown clicking noise coming from around the drivetrain area. The squeeling brake was fixed by my LBS and the seatpost flexes because it is really light, so I will be replacing it with a Thomson Masterpiece. Unfortunately I haven't been able to find the source of the clicking, and I'm still trying to fix it.

I recently had my old Super V crack on me, and it was warranteed by Cannondale and I was given a Rush 3000 frameset at no cost. It was an '06 BTC color, but I'm told that the new '07 framesets only come in Gray, and supplies of the '06s are probably limited now. There are 2 Gray's in the catalog, but I think it's the one with the Patriot Blue and White stripes around the headtube.

I plan to build my frame up just like you, only with a mix of '07 XTR and some X.0, along with that new Crankbrothers crankset. I want to try and get a Carbon SL Lefty and I'm still deciding on SLR or I9 wheels. One thing's for sure, it will be a sweet bike and I agree with you about not being crazy about carbon. It will also be the only Rush 5000SL ever built!

Baby Bear is in the house

check out

The product reviews section HERE

Quote Originally Posted by KeepItSimpleSpeed
    I'm thinking about ordering Rush all aluminum frame (not a huge fan of Carbon on MTBs) and building it up with new XTR. They've been out for a year now, so how's the bike been?

For those that have warranteed them, what were the problems?

I've riding a Santa Cruz superlight and really liked the design - however, I broke one and got it replaced by Santa Cruz. Since the Rush is a similar design - how does it compare: performance/durability/weight?

Also - I'm 6'2" and rode a large Scalpel - what size Rush would I ride (I like a long top tube, but the XL Scalpel was too long).

Thanks a lot for your feedback!
    Better to have and not need it, than to need it and not have it.

mtbr member
    May 2004

BB too low for me

After 1 year I would not buy a Rush again, altough I'm mainly a cross-country rider / occasional racer, I found BB bracket too low and I am hitting the pedals way too often. My previous bike was a full-sus cross-country racer (Devinci Dragonfly) and it was never appening, riding the same trails.

Always Searching
    I bought a Rush in Sept 05, stripped it down to frame/fork. Rebuilt with full XTR, Spinergy rims, FSA Carbon. 24.5lbs. Went through 2 FOX RP3's(rebuilds) changed to DT Swiss shock(much improved) and was happy until I road the shops team edition 2007 Scalpel (forgot what I was missing................SPEED, AGILITY, LIGHT WEIGHT, JUST FELT BETTER).

And now I have a 2007 Scalpel 1 with mods done, Magura Marta SL "RED" Brakes w/venti disc's(these are cool).

mtbr member

Love my Rush

I could not be happier with my 06 Team - I'm light/all mountain XC rider. Could easily be my one and only ride. Great bike!

USED2COULD
    Quote Originally Posted by Wick
    I could not be happier with my 06 Team - I'm light/all mountain XC rider. Could easily be my one and only ride. Great bike!
    Well there you go. From a rider with a quiver of bikes like Wick, what more could you want to know?

NS2000X
    <Insert Quiver>

TEAM TOPEAK - ERGON
    I have 2 Rush's.........till someone buys them.
    I raced them all year, and LOVED them for endurance rides and races.
    After spending the previous 5 years on a Giant NRS...I am now dig'n the Rush's feel and flavor. I think you'll dig this bike. It's plush but still snappy and aggresive!

FYI....
    I ride a Large with a 100mm stem. I am 6 ft with a 32in. inseam.

likes to ride bikes
    I've had my Rush since May, and couldn't be happier. It's my first dual squishy bike, but I rode a TON of other bikes before I settled on the Rush. When I sat on it, I knew it was the bike for me. It just felt right.

The low(er) BB is a tad annoying at times, but I've put 1,000 to 1,500 miles on it since I bought it, so I'm definately used to it by now. I would definately buy this bike again if I had to do it over!

mtbr member
    I've had mine since May and love it. I'm 6'5", 230, and ride singeltrack 3-5 times per week. The bike feels strong yet fast. It just seems to do everything well.

When I come home from work I always enter the house through the garage. That way, no matter what kind of day I've had, I can look at my bike and be happy.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Yes, another thin I forgot to mention is the relatively low BB, which require you to keep the down pedal up when you are banking hard just like on a road bike. I've hit the pedal a few times, but you still have to bank pretty far over to do it.

Members who have read this thread: 0