mtbr member
    Apr 2008

Rush Carbon seat post clamp

I have an 09 Carbon Rush SL 1.

The as provided seat post clamp came with a plastic sleeve between the aluminum clamp and the carbon frame.

I recently installed a quick release type clamp that does not allow room for the plastic sleeve.

Should I be concerned about the lack of a plastic sleeve?

Is the separation of carbon to aluminum (and likely increase in "on/off cycles") critical to the life of the carbon?

Thanks.
    Last edited by ASI CA; 05-18-2010 at 08:22 PM.

mtbr member
    You should be fine, I used a QR seat clamp on my carbon Rush.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    I use electrical insulation tape to seperate the 2. A couple of turns and your flying.

Tool
    There are no issues with carbon/aluminum. Many, many people have carbon seatposts in Al seat tubes, and also carbon bars in Al stems.

The only thing you need to be carful about from a materials perspective is that you don't allow grease or harsh solvents on the carbon - either of these can eat into the epoxy resin and cause a seize condition. Carbon assembly paste, on the other hand, is recommended and allows lower clamping torques than without, thus hedging against crushing or abrasion damage.

-Pete
    I can barely get my mouth around it.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Thanks for the info. It sounds like it should not be anything to worry about.

As a point of interest, did other carbon Rush models come with an aluminum seat clamp with a plastic sleeve in between it and the frame?

And Pete, do you think the carbon assembly paste would be of benefit on the seat post clamp?

Tool
    Quote Originally Posted by ASI CA
    And Pete, do you think the carbon assembly paste would be of benefit on the seat post clamp?
    Given that the clamp could theoretically spin on the tube while still providing enough clamping force to keep the post fixed in the tube, paste in this specific application may not be of any benefit, but if you have the stuff on hand, it will do no harm. I would recommend it between the post and tube, as this will either allow a lower clamp pressure or give more hold at the same torque, thus addressing some of your concerns with the lack of the plastic sleeve.

After your first ride with the new setup I would remove the clamp just to check for any signs of uneven pressure on the seat tube, although I doubt there will be any.
    I can barely get my mouth around it.

Members who have read this thread: 0