Rush 3 vs Rush 2 vs Rush Team- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2006

Rush 3 vs Rush 2 vs Rush Team

I get some pretty good deals through the shop I race for. They have offered me a deal on a Rush Carbon 3 for $1900 (retail is $3500). A Rush 2 is $4000 (retail $6000). Or I could get a Rush Team for $4500 (retail $6900).

The big differences I see between the bikes are the drivetrain, and Lefty "forks". The Rush 3 comes with the Lefty Speed Bonded DLR2 and the Team comes with the Lefty Carbon SL. I would probably not race the Mavics anyway, and go with some Stan's Olympics. So the wheels would be upgraded anyway.

I have the $2,000 now and could afford the Rush 3, with room to upgrade in the near future. But the Rush Team is a sweet deal... although it would be a few months off... if at all. Kinda depends on whether I can find a new job within the next few months.

What do you guys think? Is it worth pulling the trigger on the Rush 3 with upgrade potential? How much difference is there between the Lefty Speed DLR2 and the Lefty Carbon SL? The first upgrades I would make on the Rush 3 would be to a BB30 crank and upgrade the shifters and derailleurs to X-0.

Just looking for some advice. I need a new ride. My current ride is 6 years old, has V-brakes, and does not have tabs for disc brakes. It's "un-upgrade-able" so to speak.

mad aussie
    The main advantages I see to the Team:
    1. Carbon SL is over a pound lighter than the DLR alloy. Thats a lot of weight on the front of the bike
    2. Si Hollowgram is probably the best crankset out there, and with the Carbon frame you cant retrofit later as the adaptor is risky to remove (yes I know some have done it, but if the frame is screwed up so is your warranty)
    3. You can sell the Mavic SLR wheels for a good price on e-bay which helps offset the cost.

I would suggest if you have waited this long, you want the bike for racing, then save a little longer for the team, its worth it.

Kevin

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Wombat, I think you're probably right. Shaving off that much weight will be a huge benefit. Although it's going to be painful to wait a few more months, the wait will be worth it. And once I have a Rush Team, very little upgrades will be necessary.

Just a couple more months of PB&J sandwiches...

mtbr member
    Dec 2005

Rush 3 unconvertable to BB30?

I may be wrong but my understanding is the Rush 3 can't
    be turned into a BB30 to accept SI cranks??
    Aaron

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    I was told by the manager of the shop that it was BB30 compatible. But the manager isn't a mechanic. I'll ask the owner or one of the mechanics on Monday just to clarify.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Spin153
    I was told by the manager of the shop that it was BB30 compatible. But the manager isn't a mechanic. I'll ask the owner or one of the mechanics on Monday just to clarify.

As Flying Wombat said above, you are taking a risk to allow the Rush 3 to accept a BB30 Si Crank.

I know this as well since I just bought a new carbon frame and transfered parts from my Rush. Since the Rush 3 does not come with a SI crank it has threaded adapters glued into the BB with special epoxy. You need to heat them up to get them out. I do not know exactly how to do it, but it does seem nice to do on a new bike, nor it it easy.

I had a new frame but I was going need to wait weeks for a SI crank or days for the adapters, so I just decided to go with a XTR crankset and I am happy ,

Bryan

Members who have read this thread: 0