mtbr member
    May 2006

Rize - Rock Shox Monarch Tune

Hi someone with a Rize can you have a look at your RS rear shock and tell me what tune it is?

They have a letter on them I think. Need a new shock to replace my RP2 which needs a full rebuild and anyway I am looking to improve the suspension performance (RP2 pro-pedal on is too much platform, off is too little, ideally I need in the middle).

CDale want 400 for the shock, I see I can get them on the intraweb for 250

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Bump

mtbr member
    May 2007
    my Rize has an RP23 with both med compression and rebound.

I like the 3 settings for the propedal
    Lead by my Lefty............... right down the trail, no brakes.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    don't even think of getting the monarch rear shock they are officially pants!!! i had one on the rear of mine and it went back under warranty twice within two months. made a song and dance and got an upgraded monarch shock but it was still pants. sold it on ebay to some muppet. then went out and got a fox rp23. best shock on the market for an air can. period!! bike feels totally planted now.
    if you still need to get a monarch for soem strange reason then mine came as a "B" tune.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Thanks for the information. I've heard about quite a few problems with the RS Monarch.

With your RP23 do you feel that you can get the right balance between pedaling platform and bump absorption? With the RP2 I have on there now, it is too firm with propedal on and too squishy with propedal off.

Is it the new Boost Valve? I was worried about getting the BV model as the feeling is that it adds progression. The linkage already provides plenty enough progression (I think I've only got full travel once, and that time I blew out the rear tire).

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    mine qent for warranty twice, the worst shock ever!!
    get the fox

mtbr member
    May 2007
    buy the stock rp23 with bv. set it up for 25% sag set the rebound correctly aswell. as it makes all the difference!!
    with the bike on propedal "1" setting it should be fine for all pedalling actions. then you flip it to no pro pedal when you have gravity in you favour........
    no matter what any cyber geek will tell you the fox is light years ahead of anything else on the market for air rear shocks. the only way i can think c-dale stocked rock shox rear on alot of there biike this was a cost measure. why else would you put one on.
    when it comes to front forks i am rock shox through and through. we see hardly any problems with. hence why most of the guys at our shop use fox rear and rock shox front.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Zodiac
    Thanks for the information. I've heard about quite a few problems with the RS Monarch.

With your RP23 do you feel that you can get the right balance between pedaling platform and bump absorption? With the RP2 I have on there now, it is too firm with propedal on and too squishy with propedal off.

Is it the new Boost Valve? I was worried about getting the BV model as the feeling is that it adds progression. The linkage already provides plenty enough progression (I think I've only got full travel once, and that time I blew out the rear tire).
    It took a while to get it dialed, but you have choices. Depending on what I'm riding, I can run a PP setting at 3 and flip open for the DH parts. If things are all up and down, then I got with1 or 2 at slightly lower pressure. You get to play with rebound speed too!!!!

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Well I was nearly set on a RS, but maybe you guys are right, I should get a new Fox RP23...

I have been generally moving over to RS over the last few years due to customer service, ease of maintenance relative to Fox and good availability of spare parts for non-shop employees. Fork wise the new damping on the boxxers (motion control dh) and blackbox damping on other forks is on par with Fox. I've never had a rear RS though.

Why BV though on an already overly progressive rear end?

gmk
    angels get bald too

"Show your bike some love and it will show the love back."
    Eric, niner bikes

the most important vehicle is a 29er bicycle

mtbr member
    May 2007
    ziscwg if you are having to use the rp23 in the 3rd setting then your rize isn't set up right... period. i have set up plenty of people on the rize. hell i have one myself. i live in sunny scotland........ my riding consists of pretty rocky and rooty mountains. no one i know of or myself for that matter has ever needed to go beyond setting #1 for fire road and pedelly stuff. you should set up the shock for 25% sag fully loaded (all riding kit on). this will allow you to now use the setting #1 for all but gravity assisted runs or when you are climbing really techy bits.
    hope this helps

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by russ0228
    ziscwg if you are having to use the rp23 in the 3rd setting then your rize isn't set up right... period. i have set up plenty of people on the rize. hell i have one myself. i live in sunny scotland........ my riding consists of pretty rocky and rooty mountains. no one i know of or myself for that matter has ever needed to go beyond setting #1 for fire road and pedelly stuff. you should set up the shock for 25% sag fully loaded (all riding kit on). this will allow you to now use the setting #1 for all but gravity assisted runs or when you are climbing really techy bits.
    hope this helps
    I have the 25% sag for my set up. I like the 3 setting for climbing (Im not too good at) and full open for DH. I would love it locked out for them climbs like a hard tail. It's so easy to flip the lever open or closed. Although I have gone down some "fun" stuff with the PP on 3 and closed because I just forgot.

I have tried things on 1 or 2 all the time, but I reserve that for races mostly (like this weekend). The back end isn't as responsive on the DH parts. I have to tweak the pressure depending on where I'm going too. Some of the runs with drops will get 10 psi more to prevent bottom out.

I keep an eye on my lower shaft oring and tweak accordingly for that trail next time.

I guess it's just personal preference for me on what works.

Members who have read this thread: 0