mtbr member
    Apr 2004

RIZE reviews/first impressions?

OK,
    as with another thread i noticed, I can't believe someone with some good background hasn't put up some impressions here... am I missing something?

I am thinking about coming back to cannondale after quite awhile away, based on this new bike having so many points I'm looking for... 5inchs, 68.5 degree head angle, sub 24lbs, these things have been almost mutually exclusive and what i'm looking for.

Anyone have ride reviews?

thx,

Holiday

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    I tried one this weekend. In Belgium one of the MTB magazines had a test weekend with all big mountain bike manufacturers. Cannondale had the whole range up for testing with exception of the MOTO. It was supposed to be there, but the bike came back from Gran Canaria and was not checked. Due to the bad weather conditions they decided not to put it out for testing

As for my first impressions with the Rize (the Rize 4), it is a wonderfull bike. I currently have a Jekyll and the difference is enormous. It climbs a lot better, steers very precisely and is superb on the downhills. The rear suspension did not move at all during the first climb about 1,5 km, the first 500 meters was on the road and the bike felt like a hardtail. Once you got off-road, the bike still climbed very well and suspension started to work to get maximum grip. there was a section with a lot of roots and the bike sticked to the ground. there were some technical single tracks and it went smoothly through these again lots of roots. Also a couple of nice desents, both easy and fast and some very technical ones with some drops. It soacked it all.

After the Rize I tested similar bikes from Kona, Commencal and Specialized. None of them came close to the Rize. The Kona and Commencal both pumped when climbing and with all three of them the climbing was a lot harder then the Rize. going downhill the Kona was maybe a bit better then the Rize, but again in the technical singeltracks the Rize was better.

I was doubting between the Rize and the Moto, unfortunaly I was only able to ride the Moto in the expo zone to feel the difference in geometry, but my decision is made, my next bike will be the Rize

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Thanks for the impression.
    I'm still leaning toward this bike. Anyone else taken a spin? How does it compare to the rush and other single pivots, like my superlight?

thx again,
    holiday

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

OK....they have a WINNER

I got to ride the new rize carbon 1 yesterday and got some good milage on it.

This bike climbs better then my superlight, descends better then... almost any bike I've ever ridden. jumps well.

it feels stable, yet agile,
    responsive, yet confidence inspiring.

I didn't want to love it, as I'm a simple guy and this one has a little too much bling for me.

the reason I was looking...I was interested for the little more travel, and the 68.5 head angle for more forgiveness when jumping and descending fast, with light weight,

it not only had all that on my bike, it pedaled better, was more plush, cornered more accurately, felt more nimble both on the ground and it the air.

OK, I'm buying one for my wife and one for me.

dislikes, on Dougs bike(the Cdale mechanic and guy running the demo), the pbr fork had a top out noise, but not in the others (his has been ridden alot and needed adjustment). a couple of bikes had creaks, which i hate. they were mostly tracked to the mavic wheels, though, but that is my only worry, so light and so much carbon may have a propensity for that...?
    I didn't like the handlebar on the production bike. I had ridden Dougs first, and it was perfectly set up, with a wider bar, sweep perfectly placed, perfect control placement, then the bar and placement on the stock bike was a little off (fixable, of course). I wasn't a fan of the xtr brakes. i'll switch em out for my formula. same for the drivetrain. i'll switch out the xtr stuff for my 1x9 xo drivetrain.
    (while on changes, I'll sell the ST wheels even though they are great, and put on SLR's. that 130 grams of rotational weight savings in the wheel will let me run a bit burlier tires and still be super quick. i don't tend to beat up wheels... so, there will an ST lefty wheelset in classifieds in a month or so, and a set of lefty crosstrails, as the carbon 2 for my wife will get slr's as well)

but,
    all in all, just an amazing bike. first great cdale in awhile IMO, and they have stepped up to the top tier again.

a good friend, ex pro downhiller and talented freerider did the compare, contrast back to back w/ my bike and said...(pointing at my bike)..."that is mountain biking, and that is cheating!" (pointing at the Rize)

Cheers,
    Holiday

Members who have read this thread: 0