Thread: Rize Carbon Two

mtbr member
    Dec 2005

Rize Carbon Two

I picked up my new bike yesterday and got my first ride in this morning, thought I'd share my thoughts. For background, I rode a Prophet for a year or so, and for the last 1 1/2 years I've been on a Rush. Got tired of the low BB on the Rush. Got a good 20 miles in at Alafia State Park here in Fl. Handling wise, I think it handles just as good as a Rush. Maybe a high level racer could tell a difference, but for most of us I don't think there is a noticeable difference. It climbs very well, on a level with the Rush. Hard for me to make a direct comparison as I was running Conti Exp Pro's on the Rush and the stock tires which don't seem as aggressive. But I can say I never had a problem spinning the tire, even in sandy terrain. Going down it is light years better than the Rush, never felt darty when nearing the limit of travel like my Rush always seemed to do. I'm a bigger guy at 225+, so I tend to test the travel limits at times!

Pics of my slightly customized Rize.

mnt bike laws of physics
    Wooh! Carbon! Glad you like it Jay. Yea the angles are slightly slack for steep climbing, but are probably awesome for Florida.
    Enjoy...

Did you have the carbon or aluminum Rush?

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    I had an aluminum Rush.

Don't underestimate our climbs down here. They may not be long, but they are plenty steep. Riding in abandoned phophate mines lends a unique aspect to the terrain.

mnt bike laws of physics
    Yes, I guess I was underestimating.

Your ride is very sweet by the way.

At 225lbs. I am wondering if the spring in the Lefty is stiff enough for you. Doesn't dive to much under hard braking?

Just an observation...you have your seat far back on the post. Doesn't unweight the front too much on the steep climbs? At 6'4" that would not work for me especially with an already slack seat angle.
    Damn, that is a sweet bike!

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    I didn't touch the front spring, if anything it may be a little stiff right now. I plan on playing with it some and softening it up, see what it does.

I moved the seat back that far because they have a shorter stem on it as delievered, it's a 110 with a 5 rise. At first I thought I would want to change the stem, but the more I rode it the more I liked it. As for loosing weight over the front wheel I'll find out this week. There is a climb where I ride at Carter Rd that always gave me that problem on my Rush until I flipped the stem. So if there is going to be a problem it should show up on that climb.

jin
    mtbr member
    Congrats, the bike looks amazing. Thanks for the ride report and have fun!

mtbr member
    What'd you do with the Crosstrails that came stock?

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Duncan1104
    What'd you do with the Crosstrails that came stock?

I put them on my old Rush. I thought about keeping it, but I'll probably sell it.

Maniac
    Jan 2006
    Nice bike, I got a Rush two in January and really like it. The ride is very plush compared to my Titus R100X so it all comes down to comparisons.
    How's your Lefty RLC? the needle bearing shims came out of the upper shock leg on the weekend allowing about a 2" side play at the front wheel.
    I dropped it back to the LBS so hopefully will get repaired under warranty.

Anyone else had this problem?

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    I've seen that happen on a couple of forks now Dave. The RLC is awesome, I have one on my Rush also. I really prefer the spring forks over the air forks.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Very interesting you say your not messing with the front spring, I'm 205lbs and was planning on getting the heaviest rate they offer, I'm going to hold off since you said that and try to get a baseline setup with the spring that came in the fork, it's a large so I assume it's a stiffer spring than the mediums.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by OMEGANOX
    Very interesting you say your not messing with the front spring, I'm 205lbs and was planning on getting the heaviest rate they offer, I'm going to hold off since you said that and try to get a baseline setup with the spring that came in the fork, it's a large so I assume it's a stiffer spring than the mediums.

I had my terralogic on my Rush converted to RLC, and not knowing better had the stiffest spring they make put in. It was too stiff also, but is still pretty plush riding. I'm gonna open this new fork up and see what spring is in it and where the factory set the preload on the spring at tonight.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Very nice indeed!
    I assume it's a Large?

Inevitable question: what's the weight?

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Yes, it's a large. It weighs 26.2 the way it is pictured.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    What are your thoughts when comparing it to the Prophet?

B

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Handles alot quicker than the Prophet, especially in the zigzag kind of stuff where you are turning back and forth. Seems to go down hill just as good as the Prophet in XC mode, never really rode mine much in FR mode. And it is alot lighter, even with some heavier components.

Maniac
    Jan 2006
    Thanks for the info, I agree I have had the 100mm lefty on a Jeckyll before and love the way the lefty performs. I went for the RLC because of the sping and have been very happy with its performance and much prefer over a FOX 100RLC I have on my Titus R100X.

I hope its nothing I've done or is it just a faulty fork. I have needed to reset the fork every 2 weeks as it has lost approx. 20mm of travel.

Do you know if the other failures have been a once off, or has any failure been a repetitive failure. I would expect C'dale would have the lefty pretty well sorted as its been around a long time.

Good news the LBS told me I should have the repair fork back by Friday ready for Saturdays ride.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    The ones I've seen with a problem are usually one time deals, and ride for years without any other problems. The good thing I guess is C-dale seems to be trying to get more LBS's to work on them in house rather than send them back to C-dale, things like o-rings leaking and stuff like that. I know for a long time my LBS couldn't get the special tools required for some of the forks, but now they have that stuff.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay04cobra
    The ones I've seen with a problem are usually one time deals, and ride for years without any other problems. The good thing I guess is C-dale seems to be trying to get more LBS's to work on them in house rather than send them back to C-dale, things like o-rings leaking and stuff like that. I know for a long time my LBS couldn't get the special tools required for some of the forks, but now they have that stuff.
    I'm don't understand why more LBS don't work on Lefty's. I'm fairly mech inclined, but have little experience. I was able to open it up, swap a spring and reset the bearings with only a BB tool as the "special" tool.
    Lead by my Lefty............... right down the trail, no brakes.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by OMEGANOX

I opened it up and it has a red spring in it. I took a couple of turns preload out, which put it at the minimum preload. I'll see how it rides tonight, but it does have some sag in it now.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I saw a new Rize 1 today and the bike looks great. I was told that it weighs 24.1 lbs with stock components. I am a bit suprised that the '1' would still have XT components, such as, rear cassette, front derailluer, and shifters. Why wouldn't they use all XTR components?

The bottom bracket appears to be aluminum because you can see where its been faced. The BB30 bearings appear to be pressed in. I guess the mfr is using the forged one-piece alum bottom bracket/pivot/seat tube. I could not tell if the total length of seat tube is alum or if the forged alum piece is bonded to a carbon seat tube and lower main frame tube.

Bike looks very nice, and I am sure tempted to buy it, but darn, its expensive. I could go kart racing instead, and just keep my Rush 3000.

LA CHÈVRE
    Quote Originally Posted by jdp526
    I saw a new Rize 1 today and the bike looks great. I was told that it weighs 24.1 lbs with stock components. I am a bit suprised that the '1' would still have XT components, such as, rear cassette, front derailluer, and shifters. Why wouldn't they use all XTR components?

The bottom bracket appears to be aluminum because you can see where its been faced. The BB30 bearings appear to be pressed in. I guess the mfr is using the forged one-piece alum bottom bracket/pivot/seat tube. I could not tell if the total length of seat tube is alum or if the forged alum piece is bonded to a carbon seat tube and lower main frame tube.

Bike looks very nice, and I am sure tempted to buy it, but darn, its expensive. I could go kart racing instead, and just keep my Rush 3000.
    It would cost even more with all XTR... The BB shell and the whole seat tube are one single piece of aluminum, the carbon junction is in the top and down tubes, close the seat tube and BB shell. And yes, the BB bearings are pressed in, that's what BB30 is... Look at this picture, shows where the carbon meets the aluminum...
    Attached Images Attached Images

DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Thanks for the info and pic, Dan! Are the chain stays also carbon? Looks like it in the photo.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jdp526
    Thanks for the info and pic, Dan! Are the chain stays also carbon? Looks like it in the photo.
    Nope the chainstays are not carbon, but the seat stays are.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    A buddy of mine got his Carbon One today. Put a set of Crossmax SLR's on and it came in at 23.95!

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    I thought they were supposed to be 23.5 stock? what size was his?

mtbr member
    Mar 2007

Good job!

this is the customized Rize - originaly a Rize 2 - of the owner of the Belgian Bikeshop Cameleonbike (https://www.cameleonbike.com). He's a true C'dale fan, and I guess the setup of this bike proofs it. Weight: 10,44 kg or 23,02 lbs. Remove the tubes and where possible some lighter components, and you'll have yourself a 130mm FS bike sub 10 kg or sub 22,04 lbs

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by crazylax42
    I thought they were supposed to be 23.5 stock? what size was his?

Everything I've read says low 24's stock. I'll have to ask him if he weighed it stock. It is a large frame.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    OMG! How long is that seatpost?

mnt bike laws of physics
    Quote Originally Posted by Zodiac
    OMG! How long is that seatpost?
    It is curious to me why people buy bikes that are too small . Mabey they think a few grams will make a faster bike.
    From my experience, longer bikes handle better and are faster all around.

Members who have read this thread: 0