FIRENZE rulez !!

right or wrong ??? help to decide

saving weight is my goal.....

maybe i did a wrong purchase

i had a 46 gr saddle M2RACER

so what can i do ?

on notice i red for road use only ... but my current saddle it very similar but heavier ...

i have on my scalpel a C64 SELLE ITALIA saddle

if i switch to M2 , maybe i can risk an injury off road ?
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    What your doing with your bike is exactly what I did with my Goodboy when i got it.........save weight with carbon and bling it up....thing is its a fine ballance..the ultra carbon components are for road bikes as mountain bikes have a lot more stress to cope with even if you just use it on the road..........

I had a Selle Italia Carbon SLR..99g......Ti rails that were bonded with carbon to the carbon under shell........

After a short ride the bonding broke....due to the stress placed on it via bob from the rear shock.......

There road use for a purpose.................expencive leason learned.....

Yer.....it looked soooo coool....but it was impractical for even road use on a full suss bike.....PLUS....knowing i was using ultra light and fragile components made me loose faith in the whole bike..........i just couldnt use it for what i wanted..........

I also went for all aluminium bolts everywhere.....it made me afraid to break at speed as i know thew would snap............

Weight saving is all good....but when it starts to comprimise stability and performance and your own confidence its not........so you just end up with an impractical show bike....................
    Last edited by qwackers; 04-15-2008 at 07:14 AM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by qwackers
    Weight saving is all good....but when it starts to comprimise stability and performance and your own confidence its not........so you just end up with an impractical show bike....................
    you have a pretty scalpel, but please do not put that saddle on there unless you plan on just hanging the bike on the wall as a show piece, or you weigh 90lbs.

I Tried Them ALL... SuperModerator
    Remember, carbon hates accidents too. One nasty wreck, and carbon's failure rate increases considerably. Eliflap- what are you trying to do; have the lightest show bike in the world? I saw your YouTube show.....nice Scalpel, but try putting it on dirt more!

mtbr member
    May 2007
    The WTB Steath SLT comes in at 190 gr and you can ride it. Spec has the Phenon at around 190 gr too. I think you need to have something rideable. I have not seen any place that has "show bikes"
    Lead by my Lefty............... right down the trail, no brakes.

FIRENZE rulez !!
    no matter of your words , Zacharias

my scalpel , show bike as you called , had 850 km done since 17 feb 2008 when i got it

it's my only bike now , so if i want to ride i must use it .

sorry if i wash it after every ride ... my next video i will do not wash ... as you prefer

and maybe i put on screen

dirty as Zac wants...

FIRENZE rulez !!
    ah ...sorry ZAC

pic , when used once ... than under glass

mtbr member
    I wouldn't use that saddle. If you were trying to create the lightest road bike you could. That would be one thing. But a mountain bike needs to withstand certain stresses.

Not to mention, since you ride your Scalpel quite a bit, it also comes down to comfort. I don't know how comfortable a 46 gram saddle would be. I just ordered a Selle Italia SLR XC. It's 180 grams and I had the road version on my road bike and loved it. I could go lighter, but I thought that this was the most economical weigh to save some weight and have some comfort.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Skeletor
    I could go lighter, but I thought that this was the most economical weigh to save some weight and have some comfort.
    Just curious, can you really feel a difference in the performance of your bike, when you have a 190 gram saddle vs. a 50 gram saddle?

mtbr member
    Feel the performance?...........you certainly feel it on your backside.....

It takes ages to get used to as there is no padding or flex..its just solid......you feel every bump....

After a few days your pelvic bone is so painfull its untrue...........

On a road bike its not as bad as your used to a ridgid ride....but on a full susser your in OUCH city......

VERY bad idea for a mountainbike........the susspension bob will cause it to flex and snap....................
    Last edited by qwackers; 04-17-2008 at 04:19 PM.

mtbr member
    Feel the performance?...........you certainly feel it on your backside.....

It takes ages to get used to as there is no padding or flex..its just solid......you feel every bump....

After a few days your pelvic bone is so painfull its untrue...........

On a road bike its not as bad as your used to a ridgid ride....but on a full susser your in OUCH city......

VERY bad idea for a mountainbike........the susspension bob will cause it to flex and snap....................
    Other than lack of comfort, how about weight? Do you feel a difference in weight or is it just to brag about?
    Last edited by Duncan1104; 04-17-2008 at 06:12 PM.

mtbr member
    I felt no difference in peformance atall......infact id say my performance droped due to the pain of riding it...............

I got mine as i just wanted more carbon....i had the bug......i had it mountted to a Alien Aero wing carbon post...and it looked SOOO good.....

But these seats are aimed at ultra hightech,lightweight road bikes riden by pros in the peek of fitmess.....there the people that will gain performance if any......

On a mountain bike it becomes nothing more than a fancy looking setup thats ultimatly compleatly impractical for regular use...........
    Last edited by qwackers; 04-17-2008 at 05:03 PM.

FIRENZE rulez !!
    and this one ?

it's 80 gr , only 8 gr minus mine C64

http://www.ax-lightness.de/xist4c/we...3__dId_40_.htm

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    I don't know about that one either, I just looked at their site, it says nothing about mountain biking, just keeps mentioning Tour de France... Plus the description on that one says it is groved for comfort while in a "very aero position, it will be uncomfortable in other positions" or something like that... leads me to believe it is a roadie only saddle.

FIRENZE rulez !!
    look well, i saw this one APOLLO saddle is for mtb too

look in link above or link in its PROFI SHOP

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    I did look, and maybe there is something different written on the German page but the description in English for the Apollo is:
    AX - Apollo Saddle

New saddle with an groove
    Created especially for racing. Because of the groove, which relieves while sitting in a very aerodynamic posture, this saddle will be too hard on your ischium in a more normal posture.

weight: 69 to 74 grams (depending on rider and use)
    length: 270 mm
    width: 127 mm
    height: 64 mm
    seat: 100% Carbon and Kevlar Rowings
    rails: 100% Carbon inside, composite tubes to protect the carbon
    adjustment range: 75 x 8 mm

Now, to me, the phrase "very aerodynamic posture" just screams roadie... you just don't use that kind of posture much on an MTB. That plus carbon rails, IMHO, totally rules this out as a saddle for an MTB that sees any off road use. It's your bike, and your "ischium" as well, but if you are looking for input my vote is avoid this saddle. Anyway, best of luck to you, my suggestion for both comfort and safety is (as long as you are a lighter body weight rider) stick to a saddle with ti rails and some kind of leather or ballistic cloth over padding saddle. If your a bigger guy then avoid the ti rails, they snap... go for a chro-mo rail saddle. I have busted enough saddles to know the ride home stinks big time.

mad aussie
    Look on the bright side, if and when your carbon saddle splinters right next to your 'nads then:
    1. you will lighten yourself by a few grams
    2. you might be eligible to race women's events in the future

Kevin

LA CHÈVRE
    But these seats are aimed at ultra hightech,lightweight road bikes riden by pros in the peek of fitmess.....there the people that will gain performance if any......
    I have never seen a pro roadie on such a saddle either, they use much heavier saddles, their priority with saddles is to get comfort for long days on the bike and they are often very picky about their saddles. Those ultra light carbon saddles are mostly used by people at weightweenies.starbike.com and to build show bikes.

DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

FIRENZE rulez !!
    if all WW put on only to show so i will be maybe the first...

nice new

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    at the end of the day its your bike, do what you want to it. that said, ti me there are certain compromises to the integrity of your bike. I would stick with the selle saddle. the 20 or so grams are no worth the $$$ you'll spend on the saddle or the doctor after a few dozen miles offroad. if you want to save weight that bad, take a dump before you ride, theres an easy 100+ grams

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    You've got to be crazy to want to shed weight that badly. You could always dump the saddle and just clench!
    Weight problems for Tour de France riders means staying above the UCI minimum. A couple of years ago a lot of them had lead weights below the BB to stay legal!

FIRENZE rulez !!
    i don't need to stay at UCI rules , fortunatly i run against myself only ...if i have to consider a race my everyday mtb ride

Members who have read this thread: 0