mtbr member

Replacing Stem on Lefty

Are there any hints about replacing stem on Lefty Max? Normal forks use star nut or other similar system to apply proper tension to headset. Obviously, Lefty doesn't have any.

I guess removing the stem will not have influence on headset (because it's held by Lefty's upper clamp), co can I simply slide my new stem on and tighten its screws?

Or is some special tool needed to do it properly?

LA CHÈVRE
    Yep, just undo the stem bolts and lift it up, the headset doesn't rely on the stem or the clamps either to get the correct preload, it's an already correctly preloaded cartridge unit pressed-in.

DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Dan, this is a bit off the mark but it seems like your the man when it comes to Cannondale info. After many years on a Specialized FSR I finally switched to Cannondale and decided on a Rush Carbon 2 after much research on this forum. Anyway, I'm loving the bike but somehow seem to have lost the stem/steerer tube cap on my first real trail ride. Not sure how, just looked down and it was gone. I don't live anywhere near a C-dale dealer and wondered if you could point me in the right direction for replacement. Of course it was the nifty Si cap on the one piece steerer tube but do you know if caps from the older 2 piece style will fit? Thanks for any advice you can lend.

mtbr member
    Someone had a carbon fiber stem cap. I think it was Eliflap. Although I'm not sure where he obtained it from. I heard that it stays in better than the one that comes with the XC3 stem-steerer combo.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Thanks! Hopefully he'll see this thread. Something custom would be cool as I haven't added much in the way of personal touches yet.

FIRENZE rulez !!
    i had 5 or 10 pieces of carbon cap

now the one on my bike is really the last one !!!

and formatting my old pc i lost austrian email address where i bought them 2-3 years ago

however i have a standard plastic cap.

celdered1 may i ship to you in USA or where you live ?

for free , obviously .... send a PM with your mail so we can do "free businness" ...
    Attached Images Attached Images

FIRENZE rulez !!
    Si cap of combo fits old stem ....hole is same diameter

Members who have read this thread: 0