mtbr member
    Mar 2007

Removing a Lefty Speed SL and XC3 SI stem from a Rush Carbon

The title says it all!

I searched on this cannondale forum for tips an how-to's on removing a Lefty, but all I could find were topics on removing Lefty's with older (detachable) clamps and with non-SI XC3, non integrated forktube-stems (the one with a shaft).

So:

1. How do I remove a Lefty Speed SL and integrated XC3 SI stem from a Rush Carbon? With the manual, I already got so far: remove bottom cap and remove clamp screws. Now I can turn the Lefty independant of the stem . But then, the XC3 SI stem just WON'T MOVE ! In the Lefty manual, they use a special tool to remove the stem (KT020). Do I really need that tool? Now I try to pull out the stem, but it's kinda stuck (or my arm muscles are extremely weak ).

Any help?

2. If the tool KT020, does someone know where I can buy it online (or in Belgium, Europe)?

Thanks!

FIRENZE rulez !!
    try with an plastic hammer from bottom

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by eliflap
    try with an plastic hammer from bottom
    Won't go: the forktube of the stem is half a centimeter shorter than the head tube. If I'd bang it with a hammer, I'd hit the frame at the bottom of the head tube

FIRENZE rulez !!
    yes i know the problem , i solved in this way..

on my bike for lefty removal i do this:

pull off down cap ( to be unscrewed) of combo stem/steerer

insert inside of steerer tube of frame a plastic pipe with a large diameter similar to hole

thah hit with hammer gently from bottom to top

combo went out , lefty removed

maybe , also the hand grip of hammer can be used instead of plastic pipe , and hit on the hammer with another hammer, metallic too

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    eliflap, it might be tough to get if you're in europe, but there is a perfectly shaped plastic/rubber tool that cannondale sells for this purpose. i was similarly confused the first time i took my fork off. i used a large socket and a socket extension to pound it out. good luck with your tuning.

FIRENZE rulez !!
    oh well here in italy , it's difficoult to get bike of cannondale , tools it's impossible ...

only 1-2 shops have normal availability of tools ...

you're welcome , but i crashed into shore with wheels ...

no decisions about hubs ....

Members who have read this thread: 1