mtbr member

New question here. Reducing stock steerer stem on 09 Rize 130

Hi all,
    I have an 09 Rize130 with Lefty PBR Max, and am wanting to reduce the stock 110mm stem for a 90mm stem. However, when I look at where the riser bar would sit after this reduction in stem length, it looks like the bar will contact the top cap and lockout assembly on top of the fork.

Has anyone else reduced stem length by this much? Will this cause a clearance issue?The stems are available from here
    http://www.outsideoutfitters.com/p-2...m-steerer.aspx

So I guess it is possible. I'm just wondering if anyone can offer their thoughts or experience on this. I don't want to hand over the dollars until I can confirm it will work allright.

Thanks in advance, any advice appreciated.

Kiwi Lefty

mtbr member
    i've run the 90mm stem/steerer no issue.

Tool
    Quote Originally Posted by kiwi lefty
    Hi all,
    I have an 09 Rize130 with Lefty PBR Max, and am wanting to reduce the stock 110mm stem for a 90mm stem. However, when I look at where the riser bar would sit after this reduction in stem length, it looks like the bar will contact the top cap and lockout assembly on top of the fork.

Has anyone else reduced stem length by this much? Will this cause a clearance issue?The stems are available from here
    http://www.outsideoutfitters.com/p-2...m-steerer.aspx

So I guess it is possible. I'm just wondering if anyone can offer their thoughts or experience on this. I don't want to hand over the dollars until I can confirm it will work allright.

Thanks in advance, any advice appreciated.

Kiwi Lefty
    Are you saying your bars are already within 2cm of the Lefty?

You didn't mention what angle your stem is, and whether you'd change that or keep the same. If you're keeping the same stem angle, you're only moving the bars 2cm closer to the Lefty (at most).
    I can barely get my mouth around it.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I'm running the 90mm / 20 degree high XC3 unit without any clearance issue. My bar is 25mm raise (stock FSA K-Force).

mtbr member
    Hey Guy's, Thanks for the advice so far.

My bar is the stock FSA XC 281 that came on the bike. The current stem is 110mm x +5 degree rise, 31.8mm clamp size.
    If I measure from the back face of the current bar position, minus 20mm it appears that the new bar position would sit right up against the top cap of the fork.
    I can not visualise whether the new shorter stem with the same positive 5 degree rise will allow enough clearance or not.
    I can only assume, it must not be an issue otherwise Cannondale would not make a 90mm SI lefty stem if there was clearance issues.

However you will all know how the word ass-u-me can result in the mother of all F#*& up's!

Look forward to any other advice.

Tool
    Some C'dale dealers have a sampler kit of SI stems. If your dealer doesn't they should at least be willing to get your C'dale rep out there with such a kit. You would likely need to pay them a little labor to try a different stem or two, but at least you'd know it'd fit without buying a stem. I plan on doing this soon with my new bike since I want to get my bar a little further down and away from me.
    I can barely get my mouth around it.

mtbr member
    Unfortunately my local bike shop is not a C' dale dealer, he can get parts off the NZ importer but charges like a wounded bull plus frieght. So hoping to avoid that and install myself.
    I bought the bike in Sacramento last year and carted it round the world for a few rides then back here to NZ. Absolutley love the bike but am feeling a little stretched out for fast singletrack and downhills. The 110mm stem is fine when i've ridden the odd marathon type event and don't need the handling to be as fast.
    I see pics of a red Rize like mine on another post and he has a 100m stem. But a 10mm reduction doesn't seem like it would make any noticeable difference or be worthwhile for the expense.

I'm with stupid
    the 90 with the 5 degree WILL fit with the stock bars. I did the same set up on mine. the only issue that i have run into other then it being close is that you will need to loosen the clamps for the steer tube and ture the handle bars out of the way when you do your bearing resets otherwise the cap does not come off. Othen then that all weorks well.

mtbr member
    Thanks for that. Makes me feel a bit more comfortable about ordering the 90mm stem now. Good advice re the bearing reset.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I have a 90mm stem on mine,it is fine, I can reset bearings without loosening bars or anything like that.

mtbr member
    Thanks for all the feedback and advice. I have ordered the 90mm stem and am awaiting its arrival. Looking forward to installing it and trying it out over the next few weeks.

Members who have read this thread: 0