Thread: Rattling Lefty

Killer of Chains
    Feb 2004

Rattling Lefty

What do you guys wrap the spring with to keep it from rattling around inside the housing? Mine has been making a racket.

LA CHÈVRE
    Make sure it's installed correctly, it's not supposed to rattle at all. Is the preload lock ring tight enough? Is the spring correctly sit against the preload collar and at the bottom?

DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

Killer of Chains
    Feb 2004
    I dunno.

I had the spring installed by Mendon, so I never thought there should be any install problems.

I recently took off the top cap and adjusted the top threaded nuts down further to make it a little more stiff, did that possible effect something?

Killer of Chains
    Feb 2004
    bump

LA CHÈVRE
    Well, you shouldn't put more than 11 full turns of preload (I'm pretty sure it's 11, it's stated in the manual)... but I don't think it can make a rattling noise if you do, unless the spring bends under too much preload and touches the outer wall of the Lefty.

And did you make sure the top ring sits tightly against the lower one? The top one acts like a lock ring for the one that sits against the spring.

I would open the Lefty up, pull the bottom of the Lefty upwards so the internals stick out and check with your hand if anything is loose, nothing should be moving freely in there.

DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    can anybody explan for me what is the "spring" in lefty hub?

i am searching all the lefty hub noise related posts trying to figure out my lefty hub noise problem;

my lefty hub on F800 creats rattling noise(?) (like ciiciicii....lightly) when i paddle hard, or when i turn(no matter left or right) with fast speed. i guess when somewhere in lefty hub on the pressure, it rubs and make such noise.

after i uninstall and re-grease it, it is better for one day and then come back.

i have already replaced 2 cartridge bearing and verified the noise still here even i ride without install the cap (which on the right side of the wheel, it's called "lock ring"?)

really frustrating and annoying
    Last edited by eagle_no1; 09-04-2008 at 07:12 AM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    I had a similar experience my RLC 110 and it drove me mad. I did everything possible to quiet the spring when compressed. Try this procedure: Loosen the outer collar with a TL-FC32 just enough to be able to spin the lockout lever. Spin the lockout lever about 340 degrees so you end up with the lockout lever in the 8 o'clock position. Compress the spring and listen. If it is still making the noise, move the locking lever about 10 degrees clockwise. Do this in small increments until the spring is quite and your lockout lever is locked out in the 9 o'colck position.

Members who have read this thread: 0