Thread: Racing a Jekyll

mtbr member

Racing a Jekyll

Any Jekyll owners race? I'm going to be racing in a collegiate series in the fall, and it's either my Jekyll or my massively overgeared singlespeed Rockhopper (out of the question). Whether it's actually a competitive bike doesn't make any difference, but I think I'd feel a little better if I knew I wasn't the only one.

For some background, I bought my '04 Jekyll 800 in May last year because I was very new to mountain biking and quickly became enamored with long-travel technology and stuff like that. However, I realized that I'm young and I don't need five inches of travel. But, since I have it, I'll make the most of it. I have to buy a road bike before I get a racing MTB, so a new bike is out of the question. I've become a fairly strong rider over this last school year from 2000 miles of group rides on my fixie, though my bike-handling has deteriorated a bit from being away from the dirt. So I guess the real question is: how much of a disadvantage it is to be riding a trail bike (the Jekyll) in a race against lightweight hardtails and 3" travel rigs? Thanks.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    this is out of the topic but which school do you go to??

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kennetht638
    Any Jekyll owners race? I'm going to be racing in a collegiate series in the fall, and it's either my Jekyll or my massively overgeared singlespeed Rockhopper (out of the question). Whether it's actually a competitive bike doesn't make any difference, but I think I'd feel a little better if I knew I wasn't the only one.

For some background, I bought my '04 Jekyll 800 in May last year because I was very new to mountain biking and quickly became enamored with long-travel technology and stuff like that. However, I realized that I'm young and I don't need five inches of travel. But, since I have it, I'll make the most of it. I have to buy a road bike before I get a racing MTB, so a new bike is out of the question. I've become a fairly strong rider over this last school year from 2000 miles of group rides on my fixie, though my bike-handling has deteriorated a bit from being away from the dirt. So I guess the real question is: how much of a disadvantage it is to be riding a trail bike (the Jekyll) in a race against lightweight hardtails and 3" travel rigs? Thanks.
    I think that they will eat you alive on shorter, non-technical tracks. Your best chance is technical terrain and/or endurance race.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pecka
    I think that they will eat you alive on shorter, non-technical tracks. Your best chance is technical terrain and/or endurance race.

I friend of mine used to race on his jeckyl and he would always kick my arse in a race and I'm on a scalpel. Saying that he has now switched to a scalpel so he beats me by a even bigger margin.

mtbr member
    this is out of the topic but which school do you go to??
    University of Michigan. Are you racing with the NCCA?

I think that they will eat you alive on shorter, non-technical tracks
    Wow, that sounds awfully severe. I'm pretty sure most of the collegiate races are relatively short and non-technical (like most XC races). That's a little bit discouraging, but I guess I'll just have to get much much stronger! Shouldn't be too much of a problem with all the hills back home in Norcal.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    i go to cal poly pomona in socal maybe i will see you in the national.

R.I.P. DogFriend
    My daughter has raced her 03 non SPV Jekyll in a few college races, but the girls are not generally super competitive in those races AFAIK.

IMO, it depends on how competitive you want to be. You are who you are and you are the engine and that is what counts most. But you could get a more race oriented bike at the expense of some comfort.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I've raced against guys on Jekylls before here in the north east and some of them have kicked my ass. Remember that in races its still 90% (or at least 80%) rider and 10-20% bike. If you're strong enough, you'll be able to do OK on your Jekyll. Don't sweat it too much, and if you like racing buy a race bike in a few years when you graduate. Just keep in mind that it'd be more fun on a lighter bike....so don't be turned off racing if you don't come first in every race for now....they'll be time for that later when you've got a few years in and a light race bike.