mtbr member
    Oct 2012

Question regarding the "backbone" on a 2012 RZ120 2?! PICS

Just bought a 2012 RZ120 2 a few days ago. After reading posts on the forum and viewing members pics, I don't think I have the one piece BB/seat tube/chain stay "backbone", athough Cannondale's website advertises this technology on the 2012's). The first two pictures are of my bike and for comparison the last two are photos from other forum member showing no welds. Looks like welds on mine...any idea why a RZ would be built without it?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Question regarding the "backbone" on a 2012 RZ120 2?!  PICS-dsc01991.jpg  

Question regarding the "backbone" on a 2012 RZ120 2?!  PICS-dsc02002.jpg  

Question regarding the "backbone" on a 2012 RZ120 2?!  PICS-rz9.jpg  

Question regarding the "backbone" on a 2012 RZ120 2?!  PICS-img_8791.jpg  

Last edited by cpurc; 11-04-2012 at 12:42 PM. Reason: clarification

Helmetless Crasher
    Wow, definitely looks welded.

dude in the thread you got those pics from said HIS '12 RZ has a welded backbone instead of forged - he explained why in the thread (I don't recall what the explanation was).

But unless you bought his bike, it looks like C'dale may have abandoned the forged backbone - perhaps to bring the price point of the RZ down.
    '95 M2 StumpJumper FS
    '11 Cannondale RZ 120-two

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Its been abandoned (for the most part). It contains more welded lugs on it now. And yes, its for price point

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by avbcon12 View Post
    Its been abandoned (for the most part). It contains more welded lugs on it now. And yes, its for price point
    avbcon.. I understand through old posts you are a C'dale dealer. If abandoned (for the most part), do you happen to know why they advertised it for the 2012's RZ's and are currently advertising it for the 2013 RZ's? Do you know if I would have any recourse through a C'dale rep?

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    As far as ive been told by reps, the seattube is still being milled. However the pivot lugs are being welded on now to speed up production and keep costs down. Its not a lie to say its still a' backbone' but its half as true as it used to be. It really doesnt effect performance but i can imagine its a bit of a drag. Im sure you will be told the same if you contacted a rep

Helmetless Crasher
    Although its a cool feature: Previewed: Cannondale Rize and Moto - its absence would not be a deal-breaker for me.

"3D forging" and "milling" are not the same thing. c'dale should stop touting the 3d forged backbone in its RZ literature if it has stopped doing it.
    '95 M2 StumpJumper FS

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Stumpjumpy View Post
    Although its a cool feature... its absence would not be a deal-breaker for me.
    Agreed 100%

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    "3D forging" and "milling" are not the same thing. c'dale should stop touting the 3d forged backbone in its RZ literature if it has stopped doing it"

Those are my thoughts.......they shouldn't be advertising it in their 2013 lilterature ..... otherwise it's false advertising.

I am bummed - the main reason I bought C'dale was their reputation in having exceptional frame technology (my other bike I was looking at was Spec Camber Elite).

I saw significant downgrades from my 2011 Trail SL2 to the 2012 model. Is this the trend for C'dale: less expensive components and manufacturing techniques while raising the price point?

Helmetless Crasher
    Quote Originally Posted by cpurc View Post

I saw significant downgrades from my 2011 Trail SL2 to the 2012 model. Is this the trend for C'dale: less expensive components and manufacturing techniques while raising the price point?
    It is with certain bikes.

The RZ and the new Trigger are designed to do the same thing: 120mm XC/AM bikes.

Cannondale used to sell $6,000 carbon-framed Lefty-equipped top spec Rize/RZ's. No more. Now that price point is occupied by the Trigger, and the under $2,500 price point is RZ territory. So the RZ spec is way lower to keep it affordable.

C'dale likely figures (prolly correctly) that those who care about cutting edge frame tech are looking past the RZ and at the Trigger, anyway . . . but they should change the RZ ad material accordingly.
    '95 M2 StumpJumper FS

Ridin' dirty!
    If I remember correctly it says in the catalog something along:" Specifications subject to change without notice"......so as a customer you are SOL I guess.....on their website it definetely states that the backbone (seat tube, bb and so on) is FORGED, not MILLED....misleading just like the made in USA decals on the lefties in plain sight with the made in China decal hidden under the bb to make consumers think -at first glance- the whole bike is still made here....
    "Common sense isn't always that common!"
    Custom Prophet and Custom Delta V

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I have the RZ120 as warranty replacement for my Rize 4 that had the 3D forged back bone. The RZ120 frame is not as good as the Rize frame was IMHO.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Hill_Lover View Post
    I have the RZ120 as warranty replacement for my Rize 4 that had the 3D forged back bone. The RZ120 frame is not as good as the Rize frame was IMHO.
    Hill_Lover...does your RZ120 replacement frame have the forged bb/chainstay/seat tube or is it welded? If so, what year is the frame? Thanks...

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by cpurc View Post
    Hill_Lover...does your RZ120 replacement frame have the forged bb/chainstay/seat tube or is it welded? If so, what year is the frame? Thanks...
    It looks welded to me. The frame was warrantied this year so I think it is a left over 2011.

Members who have read this thread: 0