mtbr member

Prophet - Is it worth the money?

I have a 2004 Jekyll 1000 and have been thinking about selling it or maybe even keeping it and purchasing a Prophet 2000. Here's the question, how long does the derailleur have left? Do you guys think hi-end bikes will still be running derailleurs, say 3 years from now? If the end of the derailleur is near I'd rather ride my Jekyll for a few more years and wait for a non deraileur bike before I dish out my hard earned cash.
    Don't ping my cheese with your bandwidth.

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by coalriver-rider
    I have a 2004 Jekyll 1000 and have been thinking about selling it or maybe even keeping it and purchasing a Prophet 2000. Here's the question, how long does the derailleur have left? Do you guys think hi-end bikes will still be running derailleurs, say 3 years from now? If the end of the derailleur is near I'd rather ride my Jekyll for a few more years and wait for a non deraileur bike before I dish out my hard earned cash.
    Ummm, derr's aren't going anywhere soon. Except for the Rohloff 14 speed internal hub, there is not one single thing on the horizon that, in any way, threatens the complete utter dominance of the derailleur in thw world of cycling. I thought you meant how long will your derailleur last, that is a toughie, but THE derr, is going nowhere. Buy a Prophet, you will be glad you did! Cheers.

Compulsive Bike Builder

Derailleur is a non issue

I have a 2004 Jekyll 1000... wait for a non deraileur bike before I dish out my hard earned cash.
    It looks like your question is not Jekyll vs Prophet, which is good, bacause that is more complicated and depends on your wallet, how much you like your Jekyll, etc.

It looks like your question is about derailleurs. What do you think could happen to make them go away? Will everyone go single speed, or are you talking about internal hub shifting? If you are thinking of one of those two, I say don't hold your breath. Single speed mtbs will stay a niche - a cool niche, but a niche nonetheless - forever. And Rohloff and Shimano/Nexus are nowhere near making internal hub shifting that is all 3 of these at once: serious off road worthy, competitively lightweight, and affordable, although I hope they can some day. But who knows, it sounds like maybe you have heard some rumor I have not. Maybe, deep in the secret labs at SRAM, a next gen internal hub shifter is being readied for the market for the near future. Or Campagnolo, still stinging from handing their french butts handed to them by Shimano (remember the Record OR group?) is preparing for revenge with a new hub. Or Suntour will rise like a Phoenix from the ashes with a revolutionary new product. But I doubt it. Totally doubt it, I mean.
    Disclaimer: ComCycle USA

LA CHÈVRE
    Quote Originally Posted by DirtDad
    It looks like your question is not Jekyll vs Prophet, which is good, bacause that is more complicated and depends on your wallet, how much you like your Jekyll, etc.

It looks like your question is about derailleurs. What do you think could happen to make them go away? Will everyone go single speed, or are you talking about internal hub shifting? If you are thinking of one of those two, I say don't hold your breath. Single speed mtbs will stay a niche - a cool niche, but a niche nonetheless - forever. And Rohloff and Shimano/Nexus are nowhere near making internal hub shifting that is all 3 of these at once: serious off road worthy, competitively lightweight, and affordable, although I hope they can some day. But who knows, it sounds like maybe you have heard some rumor I have not. Maybe, deep in the secret labs at SRAM, a next gen internal hub shifter is being readied for the market for the near future. Or Campagnolo, still stinging from handing their french butts handed to them by Shimano (remember the Record OR group?) is preparing for revenge with a new hub. Or Suntour will rise like a Phoenix from the ashes with a revolutionary new product. But I doubt it. Totally doubt it, I mean.
    Just a note: Campagnolo is italian, not french and Suntour, I'm pretty sure they were bought by Sachs that then was bought by SRAM...

Internal geared hubs are nothing new and they haven't killed the regular derailleur market at all. Other than slowly evolving to the 9 speed cogset, nothing has changed much in the derailleur world. I recall seeing a dramatically different rear derailleur that was moving on some kind of rail mounted under the chainstay but it never materialized (probably too heavy and not better performing than conventionnal derailleurs). Derailleurs are here to stay... for a few years at least.

DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

mtbr member

Yes..

What I meant was do you guys think the Prophet or whatever Cannondale will be calling their all-mountain bike will have a derailleur on it 3 years from now?

Quote Originally Posted by DirtDad

Don't ping my cheese with your bandwidth.

LA CHÈVRE
    What I meant was do you guys think the Prophet or whatever Cannondale will be calling their all-mountain bike will have a derailleur on it 3 years from now?
    Yes it will.

DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :