mtbr member

Prophet - The worst bike owning experiance I have had

Ok so this is the first Cannondale that I have owned and I am generally disappointed. An unusual tone possibly for this forum but hey ho.

Here in Europe we have been treated to the Prophet SL series. I have several issues with mine which is a 06 model. I hear the 07's are a lot better.

The geometry is terrible... All they have done is taken a Prophet frame and lowered it by 20mm to give it less travel. This means that Free Ride mode is unusable and to be honest plain dangerous. I had a stack the other day when experimenting with it. After a jump the pedal buried itself into the ground and threw me off. This is even after I had fitted higher profile tyres. With the stock maxis I would imagine that it is even worse

In XC mode the seat tube is horrendously steep meaning that you are forever over the bars when in the air. I have had to shorten the stem and fit a layback seatpost to counter this.

I should of course picked all this up during my test ride and I take full responsibility for that but for cannondale to say that the Free ride mode is an option is essentially a lie.

Wheel build. Both wheel literally fell apart after 2 weeks of very light use. The factory build was appalling and to be honest dangerous. I had to walk out of my local woods as my rear wheel fell apart as spokes loosed themselves to the point of falling out of the wheel.

Hubs, bottom bracket, headsets all came loose withing weeks and upon inspection the factory greasing and loctiting was not up to scratch.

Customer service is appalling. Not sure if it is limited to Cannondale Europe but queries through their website are never responded to. Must have sent about 6 mails with various basic queries over support with out one of them being acknowledged

To be honest my main disappointment is the apparent lack of thought which went into the SL range. A one day test ride on any of the machines by anyone would have picked up the geometry problems I have outlined. Makes of a mockery of the ads Cannondale have showing their detailed testing.

I have learned to live with the bike but to be honest I cant wait to ditch it but after spending 2k on it that wont be any time soon.

Phew - had to get that off my chest... Thanks for listening.

On the upside... The community here is excellent and I have received some great support on these forums.
    Last edited by Karve; 11-14-2006 at 09:25 AM.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Karve - I donít own a Prophet so I canít comment technically but I am very curious. What is your height and weight? What size frame did you get? Your comments are the first Iíve heard. That must suck after dropping 2K and getting a such a bad experence. Cannondale lack of response is unusual.

mtbr member
    I am riding a medium and I am 5,9 and weigh 180. I am running 20% sag which is the recommended level for an SL according to Cannondale. The suspension feels good.. Its just the BB height is insanely low in FR mode and I also have to be very careful in XC mode. The state of my cranks and pedals bear witness to it.

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    Sounds like you should have gotten a Prophet. 13.7/13, versus 13/12.2 BB height XC/FR. FWIW, there are a number of bikes out there in the market that have lower BB's than 12.2, that are considered trail worthy. Not that I support that, but some folks like it, whatever! I've ridden bikes that low, and yes, they are scary! The question now is do you ride enough to know what you like, and if so, did you know the BB was that low? If I got a bike, and I knew that to be the case, I would not be upset, if I were Joe clueless consumer, I would be concerned, and hurt= I dsefinately consider BB height carefully before making any purchase decisions, as I am spoiled by Cannondales usual 13"+ BB's, less just feels sketchy. The SL is in the European market because it won't fly in the US, you guys seem to like shall I say, challengingly speced bikes. Realllllly long seatposts, silly long stems, insanely light components etc. Not that there's anything wrong with that, you also sue people far less than we do, which is how a bike like that makes it to market= I would take it back, and see if they can get you a proper Prophet, heck, even a frame exchange. You should not have to deal with this, but I would not expect it to be free, you did buy it, knowing the numbers, after a test ride or two. Good luck, that's scary!
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    I have never understood the need for the SL, I had one for a couple of weeks and didn't like it either . There is especially no need for it now IMO because we have the option of the Rush. Cannondale Europe have sorted out problems I've had with my Prophet 800 but it takes weeks!!

I've needed a respray (without bike 6 weeks!) and today my LBS recieved a new rear swingarm which took 3 weeks to arrive!! all under warranty but it sucks to be without stuff for that long.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Sorry to hear about all of your troubles, and hopefully it will all work out. I have to agree with the others here that you should probably have gone for the regular Prophet, because it sounds like the SL was a poorly thought over modification. I'm not sure why they only offered it in Europe, but with the Rush out now there seems to be little need. From what I'm told if you get a regular Prophet you can adjust the amount of travel on some models. The BB is also much higher, and I have test ridden several Prophets although on pavement, and you sit really high. Sounds like the entire bike is falling apart, so hopefully Cdale will eventually help you.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    The Prophet and SL frame is the same.

Just convert it to a regular Prophet by getting the longer 7 7/8 rear shock with 2 " stroke and a longer fork. The air swingers are still on sale at Santa Cruz bikes for $99. My friend picked it up for his Prophet to replace his Radium and he really likes it.

The fork might be for expensive if you go Lefty. The Prophet can run a conventional fork with the right headset. I run a FSA Orbit Extreme Pro 1.5R with a1 1/8 Zoke fork.

discombobulated SuperModerator
    Jun 2005
    I skimmed a UK mtb magazine that said the same thing about the SL....

LA CH»VRE
    I never understood the SL existence. I thought it was just a temporary line-up gap filler but it came out and we already knew the Rush was coming... and it didn't disappeared when the Rush was released...

DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

mtbr member
    Sounds like you should have gotten a Prophet. 13.7/13, versus 13/12.2 BB height XC/FR. FWIW, there are a number of bikes out there in the market that have lower BB's than 12.2, that are considered trail worthy.
    Indeed but 12inches of BB height with 5 inches of travel is madness lol Also last year it seems that Cannondale were only offering the SL range and not the standard Prophets here in Europe. We had no choice but to go for the shortened travel versions.

Just convert it to a regular Prophet by getting the longer 7 7/8 rear shock with 2 " stroke and a longer fork. The air swingers are still on sale at Santa Cruz bikes for $99. My friend picked it up for his Prophet to replace his Radium and he really likes it.
    I have considered that as an option. However I am pained to spend cash on a new shock and fork, to fix something which Cannondale should have found in testing. Riding in XC mode is acceptable so I will live with that for the mo. I am just pissed that I appear to have been sold such a badly thought out product.

It was my first full suspension purchase after 10 years of not riding, which is why I didn't catch the flaws in my test rides. But I expected to be safe purchasing from a manufacturer with such a long standing suspension tradition, and that is what makes is so annoying. At the time of purchse i was like.. ah a few quid extra on a Cannondale.. no worries they have such a reputation for quality.

The Sl range looks like it was designed by a marketing team and is useless in practice.

BTW I have had it for 6 months now so all of these judgments are gained from a significant amount of riding.
    Last edited by Karve; 11-14-2006 at 03:32 PM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by racerzero

The fork might be for expensive if you go Lefty. The Prophet can run a conventional fork with the right headset. I run a FSA Orbit Extreme Pro 1.5R with a1 1/8 Zoke fork.
    Are you sure? I was under the impression Cdale altered the geometry a bit so the rear shock would line up better, along with having the shorter travel fork. I could be wrong, though...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TalonSL
    Are you sure? I was under the impression Cdale altered the geometry a bit so the rear shock would line up better, along with having the shorter travel fork. I could be wrong, though...
    If only that was the case. A while back while trying to work out why the BB was so low (and lower than Cannondale state by the way) i did this which clearly shows the issue... lol I have too much time on my hands.

All hey have done in is whack in a shorter shock and fork. See how the swing arm sits further away from the seat tube on the SL. It doesnt look that low but when you pop it into FR mode its mental :|
    Last edited by Karve; 11-15-2006 at 01:20 AM.

mtbr member

06 prophet 600 here...

Quote Originally Posted by Karve
    Indeed but 12inches of BB height with 5 inches of travel is madness lol Also last year it seems that Cannondale were only offering the SL range and not the standard Prophets here in Europe. We had no choice but to go for the shortened travel versions.

I have considered that as an option. However I am pained to spend cash on a new shock and fork, to fix something which Cannondale should have found in testing. Riding in XC mode is acceptable so I will live with that for the mo. I am just pissed that I appear to have been sold such a badly thought out product.

It was my first full suspension purchase after 10 years of not riding, which is why I didn't catch the flaws in my test rides. But I expected to be safe purchasing from a manufacturer with such a long standing suspension tradition, and that is what makes is so annoying. At the time of purchse i was like.. ah a few quid extra on a Cannondale.. no worries they have such a reputation for quality.

The Sl range looks like it was designed by a marketing team and is useless in practice.

BTW I have had it for 6 months now so all of these judgments are gained from a significant amount of riding.
    I have been riding my Prophet 600 for over a year now, and I remember riding it in the trails the first time...bashing the crank arms and pedals on numerous rocks. I have since grown accustomed to it...but always felt it to be unnacceptable from a design standpoint. NOTE... I ride in the FR mode at all times because the XC feels like I'm going to go over the bars.

I too swapped out my long stem for a shorter, taller stem and now the bike feels good.

I consider my gemini as a bike with a really high bottom bracket...not the Prophet.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by TalonSL
    Yes. This come from Mr. Cannondale himself:

21/03/2006 5:30:00 PM
    Comment: Are the Prophet and Prophet SL the same frame with different shock i2i length or are there subtle differences?
    Response: Hey Eliot, The Prophet and Prophet SL frame and swingarm are identical. The difference comes from the shock that is used. Cheers and happy riding! BRAD

http://thebradblog.cannondalecommuni...asp?item=97587

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Hey man, bummer you don't like your bike. But in one place you are wrong. Cannondale has offered the Prophet and Prophet sl in Europe last year, so in reality people do have a choice. Maybe your shop did not have the standerd prophet....I don't know.
    As was mentioned, a cheap shock replacement would bring you up to regular prophet measurements....much cheaper that eating a huge loss trying to sell a new bike...

good luck

mtbr member
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/M...x?ModelID=9250

check out this link ....£139 ..sell your old shock on ebay problem sorted ....got to be worth a try IMO...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by freeriderB
    I consider my gemini as a bike with a really high bottom bracket...not the Prophet.
    14 inches of clearance here...must be the tall tires.

Best bike owning experience I have had.

Rock on.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Cannondale has offered the Prophet and Prophet sl in Europe last year, so in reality people do have a choice. Maybe your shop did not have the standerd prophet....I don't know.
    Yes you are right. I stand corrected. See here http://gb.cannondale.com/bikes/06/ce/cats/mtn.html However in reality over here they just were not available for sale in 06. Not sure why? Might be something to do with the shops near me. I checked with a number of retailers and they all had the the SL only.

Quote Originally Posted by mzungo
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/M...x?ModelID=9250

check out this link ....£139 ..sell your old shock on ebay problem sorted ....got to be worth a try IMO...

I have considered this however what that would do to the geometry is that it would pitch me forward and mangle the ride even more. To counter this I would need a new 140mm fork?

Thus the total cost is getting on for £500.

14 inches of clearance here...must be the tall tires.
    Best bike owning experience I have had.
    I think the clearance on the standard prophet is acceptable.... its just the SL which is screwed, plus the other issues I have had don't add to the experience. Nice Prophet btw love the raw finish

Just imagine coming off a small drop.. driving through 3-4 inches of travel and unless your pedals are level they hit the ground.... nice. No one at Cannondale could have ridden an Sl in freeride mode pre production.
    Last edited by Karve; 11-16-2006 at 06:11 AM.

mtbr member
    I was on the dog & bone to my LBS this afternoon as I am getting a replacement prophet frame under warranty. I had two choices the Prophet 2 (white) or a Prophet SL, I asked the question and the SL frame is indeed exactly the same frame geomtery as a regular Prophet, it just comes with a shorter shock.

I went for the white see here :-

https://www.cannondale.com/bikes/07/...e/7VE2_wht.jpg

Nice innit

For the record I've been very happy with my Prophet.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    i have been happy with my 2006 SL 1000,
    lovely feeling geomerty in XC mode, never felt the need for FR, i have another bike for that, a norco 6. I went for the SL as i wanted something with around 4inches front and back for good old XC work, but still a bit of fun, rather than the rush. Though my dads Rush does seem nice from the little spins i've had on it.

i have used mine for many enduro's that i have entered, plus week in week XC riding on all sorts of terrian in the U.K. Man-made trails are a joy, as are all kind of natural rides. in XC mode i can still have a bit of fun too. I feel more at ease on it descending and in the air than my previous Spesh Stumpy FSR.

I recomended the Rush 06 to my dad as he was considering a Spesh full sus as his local shop would do him a good deal. He seems to love it, he's in portugal on holiday with it as we speak. Like me he's ridden all sorts, 7 Stanes, Cwm carn, local natural stuff, black mountains. All manor of terrain and has had no worries.

sorry to hear your bad experience, i guess some people jsut dont suit some bikes.

mtbr member

prophet 2???

Quote Originally Posted by KarlosPirahna
    I was on the dog & bone to my LBS this afternoon as I am getting a replacement prophet frame under warranty. I had two choices the Prophet 2 (white) or a Prophet SL, I asked the question and the SL frame is indeed exactly the same frame geomtery as a regular Prophet, it just comes with a shorter shock.

Nice innit

Whoah....
    What's with the Prophet 2? Never saw it before...
    Man...I've been talking about putting a Pike on my 600 for over a year now!
    Looks like the perfect fork for the Prophet frame.

mtbr member
    Whoah....
    What's with the Prophet 2? Never saw it before...
    Man...I've been talking about putting a Pike on my 600 for over a year now!
    Looks like the perfect fork for the Prophet frame.

Basically all the kit from my 05 Prophet 800, will be going onto my new Prophet 2 frame. This kit includes the Lefty Max TPC, which I think is gonna look sweet with that white frame. I also have a few upgrades which will be nice finishing touches like a silver thomson elite seatpost etc, I may treat my self to a nice new carbon bar too

As for the Pike fork, unfortunately I think its simply because people over here are set in their ways and the Lefty will never be mainstream because people can't get their head round how it works. If like me and most guys on here you've been using a lefty for sometime you know that they are excellent, I'd much rather have my Lefty than the Pike. Cannondale are simply & understandably trying for an even bigger market. I think off the top of my head only the Prophet 1 over here comes with a Lefty now (Carbon). I think its a shame that people immediately dismiss the Lefty, but 99% of people that ride em' love it.

One upgrade I would like to make eventually but its so expensive is the shock for my bike which is the Radium. I really want a DT Swiss HVR 200, oh well I'll just wait until the Radium blows

Anyhow, all of this is going to make my Prophet a unique one off !!

mtbr member
    [QUOTE=Karve]I have considered this however what that would do to the geometry is that it would pitch me forward and mangle the ride even more. To counter this I would need a new 140mm fork?

Thus the total cost is getting on for £500.

QUOTE]
    If you get the damper for the Prophet you could look for a Lefty Max with 140mm on Ebay where these forks are often not that expensive (in Germany you could count with 400-500 € for a rather new one). If you have found one, you can sell your current Lefty and the total costs should not be that high. You could also replace your fork by any other fork, like the RS Pike, which has a travel-feature however it needs a new front wheel.
    Wish you good luck and more fun with your bike in the future!

Hotzemott
    Last edited by Hotzemott; 11-17-2006 at 02:40 AM.

mtbr member
    As for the Pike fork, unfortunately I think its simply because people over here are set in their ways and the Lefty will never be mainstream because people can't get their head round how it works. If like me and most guys on here you've been using a lefty for sometime you know that they are excellent, I'd much rather have my Lefty than the Pike. Cannondale are simply & understandably trying for an even bigger market. I think off the top of my head only the Prophet 1 over here comes with a Lefty now (Carbon). I think its a shame that people immediately dismiss the Lefty, but 99% of people that ride em' love it.
    My understanding of the reason for dropping lefties from most of the Prophet range was that the cost of the fork is higher than that of the RockShox etc which pushes down the level of components that C'dale can fit. One of the UK magazines tested Prophets a few months apart (I don't remeber which) and the verdict on the 06 model was great frame let down by the fitout whereas the 07 with a pike was given a much better review.

mtbr member

I said it before...

Quote Originally Posted by The Orange Prophet
    My understanding of the reason for dropping lefties from most of the Prophet range was that the cost of the fork is higher than that of the RockShox etc which pushes down the level of components that C'dale can fit. One of the UK magazines tested Prophets a few months apart (I don't remeber which) and the verdict on the 06 model was great frame let down by the fitout whereas the 07 with a pike was given a much better review.
    I have the Lefty Max 140.....it's OK...Not great...doesn't suck...just OK.
    I have ridden Manitou's with TPC and I'm not convinced it would make the Lefty GREAT. And I certainly don't like SPV.

I am a Marzocchi kind of guy. I like real technical trails with drops thrown in. The Lefty can never come close to eating bumps up like a "Zoke". The RS PIKE gets great reviews and is extremely stiff and plush. C-dale is smart to stock Marzocchis and Pikes on their prophets.

This will definitely attract the new riders who normally believe the Lefty cannot withstand their type of aggressive riding....and I hear this in the trails ALL the time. Not much love for the Lefty in the North East......unless you come up from an XC background.

Yes...having to run a specific front hub/wheel combo is a pain as well. It would be nice to be able to run light weight Crossmax...then switch to DeeMax....you get the idea.....

mtbr member
    Jun 2006

Nice innit

Karlos- What happened to your orange Prophet?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bauchle
    Karlos- What happened to your orange Prophet?

Basically the swingarm was outta line and I'd been through three sets of shock bushings in 18 months, so they ordered me a new swingarm in orange but it still didn't fix it. So I am now waiting for a shiny new white Prophet 07 frame

I like the white one, they have one in my LBS and it looks very nice in the flesh so to speak.

The Lefty can never come close to eating bumps up like a "Zoke".

No offense, but this statement baffles me. You have 2 forks, they both have 140 travel lets say, now given the same travel, and given that independant labs have found the Lefty chasis to be stiffer than most dual sliders out there, why does it not "eat bumps like a Zoke"? They are both sprung with air or coil, both have damping control, I don't get the whole Leftys can't cut it in the freeride world thing. Unless you run 36 hole, you can build a very substantive wheel with proper rim selection, so the wheel thing, while I'll give you the locking you into a system argument, is for most not a big issue. Honest questions, not being an a$$=

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member

just speaking from experience...

Quote Originally Posted by MendonCycleSmith
    No offense, but this statement baffles me. You have 2 forks, they both have 140 travel lets say, now given the same travel, and given that independant labs have found the Lefty chasis to be stiffer than most dual sliders out there, why does it not "eat bumps like a Zoke"? They are both sprung with air or coil, both have damping control, I don't get the whole Leftys can't cut it in the freeride world thing. Unless you run 36 hole, you can build a very substantive wheel with proper rim selection, so the wheel thing, while I'll give you the locking you into a system argument, is for most not a big issue. Honest questions, not being an a$$=
    I understand...no prob.
    I guess because I am used to plush bikes with 7" of travel that roll over anything and suck up 8 foot drops like a new sofa. Now when I ride a Prophet with a Lefty, of course it is going to feel like a rigid hardtail compared to my DH bike. It's just the way it is....and I undestand that. I no longer try to make my Prophet feel like a DH bike.

I'm assuming (and yes...BIG assumption on my part)...that most people that rave about the Lefty being plush are coming off 2"-3" pure XC bikes or fully rigids....so of course it's going to feel plush. Maybe I'm wrong, but I meet them all the time in the trails.

It all depends when in your biking life you experience the Lefty. If it's like me...AFTER DH and other FR forks...then I'm not really impressed.

If it's AFTER a Sid Race...then it feels as if you can tackle anything.

As for the wheel issue...I don't want to have to buy another Lefty hub and build a 2nd wheel for different styles of riding. I want to be able to switch from existing wheels sitting in my basement is all.

So it sounds like it's really an issue of inches, not stability, travel quality, or which platform it is. I get that, makes sense. A DH rig is gonna have this anything goes feel, rolling off a curb, what curb, rolling onto a curb....what curb. I think alot of people misconstrue plushness, with depth of travel, so it does create confusion. Thanks for the input=

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Let's change the title of this thread to "Prophet SL, the worst blah blah"

mtbr member

Hmmm

Quote Originally Posted by edge
    Let's change the title of this thread to "Prophet SL, the worst blah blah"
    Funny but "Steve jones" of Dirt mag tested the SL and rated it very highly ...not once but twice, there is another test with the prophet in the December issue of Dirt.... and this guy is a well respected downhiller and jurno....i can't see that he would miss the bike being this bad his words were "almost perfect for most UK conditions".
    Last edited by mzungo; 02-09-2007 at 04:09 AM.

mtbr member
    I wonder if they have corrected the geometry on the 07sl's?

mtbr member
    Jul 2006

No good Wtf ?!

If only that was the case. A while back while trying to work out why the BB was so low (and lower than Cannondale state by the way) i did this which clearly shows the issue... lol I have too much time on my hands.

All hey have done in is whack in a shorter shock and fork. See how the swing arm sits further away from the seat tube on the SL. It doesnt look that low but when you pop it into FR mode its mental :|

LOL this is ridiculous...

the last picture is faked...

look at the seattube (frame) its broken and the whole swingarm is anyways "milked out" what proofs that someone was messing around with the graphics (c'mon guys, you don't need to be smart to see that...)

I can do that with Photoshop too (but when i do it then it will look real ^^)

who do you wanna fool Karve ?

C'dale would not create a unprofessional animation like that...

Cannondale quality is one of the best on the bike market, don't even try... ^^

I think you are either 300 pounds or you are just a bad rider and a bad story teller on top!

btw I own a C'dale Prophet 2mx 06' myself and my clearance is better than most freeride / DH bikes on the market.

The SL line for europe has a little bit less clearance but that is minor
    Last edited by Oskar69; 12-27-2006 at 01:18 AM.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Oskar69

look at the seattube (frame) its broken and the whole swingarm is anyways "milked out" what proofs that someone was messing around with the graphics (c'mon guys, you don't need to be smart to see that...)

I think you are either 300 pounds or you are just a bad rider and a bad story teller on top!

btw I own a C'dale Prophet 2mx 06' myself and my clearance is better than most freeride / DH bikes on the market.

I believe Karve said he created the animation. He was trying to detail a problem he is experencing.

Does the Prophet SL use the same frame as a Prophet? The photos would have to be taken from the same angle and same distance for the animation to work, and since these are Cannondale's photos it is hard to tell but from my perspective they are not.

I think the easiest way to answer the question is with a big piece of cardboard and mark both frame angles using a plastic square or just trace the frame angles. I would think your LBS would allow you to do this especially if they told you both Prophets use the same frame.

mtbr member

Reviews do state

The review's in Dirt do say that the bottom bracket is low, but it is not mentioned as a serious problem just a thing to be aware of ....the seat tube angle is not to steep at 73 degree's thats prety standard for most bikes of this type,

Maybe your riding style is not helping, when i first started riding it took me a long time to stop dropping one foot and smacking my pedals..not till it threw me off did i learn(that was a stumpy another fairly low bracket bike)

Sell me your Prophet i am in the market for a cheap bike

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Some of the SL forks were made using the longer lefty structures and use reducers to get shorter travel. If you have a good shop that can check it out, you may be able to get the BB a little higher by unlocking travel. You will also get a slightly slacker HT angle which may make the XC position more to you liking.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006

Cool-blue Rhythm bad CD attorney

Quote Originally Posted by Oskar69

Nothing to LOL here.

Karve's "unprofessional animation" is correct. He just has had no off. picture of the Prophet in FR mode, so he cut a piece of the picture with the swingarm and of course with the seattube, rotated it, so that the shock's lower pivot locates in FR-mode holes of the swingarm and pasted it back in the picture. Result is nearly the same, as if you would make a real picture of the SL in FR mode.

So there is no need for Karve to fool anybody here, there are already enough of 'em.

Sorry Sherlock.

Happy Trails,
    redbyte

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by redbyte
    Nothing to LOL here.

Karve's "unprofessional animation" is correct. He just has had no off. picture of the Prophet in FR mode, so he cut a piece of the picture with the swingarm and of course with the seattube, rotated it, so that the shock's lower pivot locates in FR-mode holes of the swingarm and pasted it back in the picture. Result is nearly the same, as if you would make a real picture of the SL in FR mode.

So there is no need for Karve to fool anybody here, there are already enough of 'em.

Sorry Sherlock.

Happy Trails,
    redbyte

Allright Watson !

I must addmit i was a little bit to fast with my mouth ! the mountain was to step sry ;p

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    np, your welcome

Wish you much fun on the trails in 2007!
    happy trails
    @realredbyte
    www.mtb-siegerland.de

mtbr member
    Oct 2005

This could be a clue..

The German magazin ' Bike' featured a test of the 2007 Prophet SL 1 in its lates issue. The rear travel on the SL measured 141mm instead of the 120mm claimed by Cannondale! This combined with an almost liniar shock response could give a clue to the SL BB hitting the deck al little easier than it should.

However, overall the bike was tested as ' very good' , only missing the label 'super' due to bad tire choice and no bottle carrier holes. Handling is described as beeing well balanced with good climbing abilities and very suited for singletrack. Only negative remark regards the measured stiffness of the bike which as we know is not to great. But as Cannondale states, that will help the bike follow lines smoothly.

Jowan

mtbr member

Well ...what can i say

I love my SL..
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Customer service is appalling. Not sure if it is limited to Cannondale Europe but queries through their website are never responded to. Must have sent about 6 mails with various basic queries over support with out one of them being acknowledged
    cannondale philosophy is: go to your c-dale LBS where you hafe buy and tell your problem.
    after that if is a real problem, cannondale is the fastest and correct bike factory worldwide to adjust all problems!!

ride.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    ive been riding dales since 1992 ive gt 3 at present an 06 f700 a carbon rush 3 and a 2005 prophet 800 .the prophet is the strangest bike ive eva ridden ime ok fitness wise 4 a big guy bt even on 30 km rides on the prophet i feel like ive been run ova the next day i know its hefty compared 2 my otha bikes just seems a shame 2 use it 4 short rides .theres no way i could turn 3 hour ride into 6 like it says in brochure is it cus ime sittin in saddle all of the time its set up in xc mode any ideas .i use my rush 4 epic jaunts and f700 3 times a week .usin the prophet once a wk is it cuz ime nt using it enough ?

mtbr member

Hmmmmmmmm!!

Quote Originally Posted by gribbledot
    ive been riding dales since 1992 ive gt 3 at present an 06 f700 a carbon rush 3 and a 2005 prophet 800 .the prophet is the strangest bike ive eva ridden ime ok fitness wise 4 a big guy bt even on 30 km rides on the prophet i feel like ive been run ova the next day i know its hefty compared 2 my otha bikes just seems a shame 2 use it 4 short rides .theres no way i could turn 3 hour ride into 6 like it says in brochure is it cus ime sittin in saddle all of the time its set up in xc mode any ideas .i use my rush 4 epic jaunts and f700 3 times a week .usin the prophet once a wk is it cuz ime nt using it enough ?
    Strange I must admit i feel more beat up riding my prophet than my hard tail ...and that just does not make sense

Members who have read this thread: 0