mtbr member
    Oct 2004

Prophet Tire List

So I've been searching like crazy on here trying to find out what everyone is putting on their prophets. It seems like a lot of people have questions about tires... I guess not many people are liking the High Rollers. I'm about to place my order for a prophet 2000 and am pretty sure I will be switching the tires, although I will at least give them a shot. I thought it would be helpful if people listed the tires they went with, why they went with them, and what region they are riding in... kind of an easy place for people to refer back to...Thanks a lot!

mtbr member
    Dec 2004

Tyre choice

I have replaced the tyres on my 1000 with continental vertical 2.35 front and back, (which came off my old bike) tried pythons but didn't like them - to unpredictable.

Live - Sydney Aus, as you can imagine our conditons are dry, and trails hard packed. Although I find these tires slide a bit when cranked over, I find it to be quite a predictable slide and then the tire seems to hook up nicely.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by passion268
    So I've been searching like crazy on here trying to find out what everyone is putting on their prophets. It seems like a lot of people have questions about tires... I guess not many people are liking the High Rollers. I'm about to place my order for a prophet 2000 and am pretty sure I will be switching the tires, although I will at least give them a shot. I thought it would be helpful if people listed the tires they went with, why they went with them, and what region they are riding in... kind of an easy place for people to refer back to...Thanks a lot!
    Ditto on the Continental Vertical Pros (2.3's) UST
    I also like Hutchinson Spiders 2.3's UST (high volume, big tires, under 800 grams)

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkHL
    Ditto on the Continental Vertical Pros (2.3's) UST
    I also like Hutchinson Spiders 2.3's UST (high volume, big tires, under 800 grams)
    Hutchinson Spiders 2.3. Good allround tires so far for me, though its mostly been wet & muddy here but the few dry spells we have had the tire also performs well and rolls great.
    R.I.P 26ers....

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Missile
    Hutchinson Spiders 2.3. Good allround tires so far for me, though its mostly been wet & muddy here but the few dry spells we have had the tire also performs well and rolls great.
    WTB Weirwolf 2.1s not too bad, but don't shed mud that well...

mtbr member

My choice !!

My choice is the " Racing Ralph 2.25 UST " from Swalbe.
    Nice allround tire for XC and Marathon.
    Rolls great , nice grip on mud/sand/roots (forest & dunes in Holland)

DD
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by *Double Dutch*
    My choice is the " Racing Ralph 2.25 UST " from Swalbe.
    Nice allround tire for XC and Marathon.
    Rolls great , nice grip on mud/sand/roots (forest & dunes in Holland)

DD
    I read a review recently in magazine, which said these tires where a really nice tire, but as the name suggested a racing tire, hence a short life span. How many Km's would you get out of them before replacing?

Thanks

mtbr member
    I'm riding Hutchinson Bulldog 2.1. Good tire so far. I have not ridden in any extreme conditions to this point. Rolls well.

Cyclovore

Irc

I switched mine to IRC Backcountry 2.2 Kevlar, converted with Stans. Medium weight, high volume and pretty cheap. I ride Western Pa, mud , rocks and roots. They stick like glue and rail the turns. Not good on hardpack or pavement.
    Bliss is thumping the prophet through the woods, as "Painkiller " wails through your phones. Ride a metal monster.

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    Depends on how and what you ride (like I need to tell you that), I ride light and fast, and love the Conti Twister Supersonic with Stans in UST rims, 370 grams, YOW! Yeah, they are weeny light, and very thin, but they feel like you bike just got a hit of meth. (no illicit drug plug intended) If you are a high flying, fast downhilling free rider, these will not be your choice, but for railing the trail at high speed with nice cornering, and great traction these are fantastic. That said, I run that in the back, and a Specialized Team Control in the front for uncompromising front end cornering, the Conti Verticals will be my next front, as Spec does not make these tires anymore. I ride in the northeastern US, lot's of mud, rocks, and technical scrambly climbing. I rode the twister all last summer (wet and soggy) and it was great, if you are a power stroke pedaler, they will break free in the slime, but if you can modulate your power in those situations, you will be rewarded with more traction than you thought possible from a semi-slick. Everyone I sell these to has the same reaction. These are also available in thicker skinned, more sturdy options, like the Protection, and Pro versions. Rock on!