mtbr member
    Oct 2005

Which Prophet SL??

Hi,

My LBS has made me 2 offers:

1) Stock 2006 Prophet 1000 SL
    2) Custom 2006 Prophet 700 SL (stock but with 1000SL drivetrain and brakes);

Price difference is about Euro 300,-

The 1000SL has Lefty speed 110 DLR 2 and Fox Float RP3, the 700SL has Lefty Max 120TPC and Fox Floar R. The 1000SL wheels are somewhat lighter.

So my question is, is the Lefty/Fox combo on the 1000SL the better deal? I' will use this bike as an all purpose XC/marathon/endurance bike. No FR or bike abusing stuff.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I would go for the 1000. You can lock out the lefty (700 comes with lefty Max that doesn't have the lockout), similar story with rear shock. I allmost don't use lockout on my lefty (i have a Rush), but very often use propedal mode on rear shock (i have RP2).
    It will cost You more to get new RP3 for the 700 (upgrade maybe..) than the price difference is.
    Did You consider Rush (maybe it would be better for intended use?).

mtbr member
    Oct 2004

prophet sl

I agree with jura, if you´re deciding between prophets I would take model 1000 for the same reason: lighter lefty DLR (300g) with lockout possibility and rp3 shock. It will also sell better as second hand. Lighter wheels mean also faster.

But if you will do a lot of marathons and if you prefer more streched out position on the bike, than I would sugest Rush. Wait for the new Rush 3 carbon, try it out and see.

Dejc

mtbr member
    Oct 2005

OK, two in favour of the 1000 ...

That's all I need. I had already set my eye on the 1000, so glad to see you back me up in this.

I've also had a look at the Rush,but over here in Europe a model that's comparable to the Prophet 1000SL will set me back another Eur 800,-. The 2007 Rush Carbon 3 is also very very nice, but retails for about Eur 3500,- .

So seen the price difference I thought the Prophet would be a very nice bike. As a bonus I get the adjustble geometry and a stronger frame.

Thanks

Jowan

Members who have read this thread: 0