mtbr member
    Aug 2004

Prophet Needs pivot bearings already

I've had a constant creak which I originally thought was the seat post but turned out to the pivot bearings, one is very notchy the other is siezed. The bike has done just over 1000km is this the lifespan I should expect. Is it something that might be covered under warranty?

mtbr member
    Doesn't seem like a very long lifespan to me. What kind of conditions do you ride in?
    Don't ping my cheese with your bandwidth.

LA CHÈVRE
    I would expect it to be covered under warranty. Dead pivot bearings after 1000km is not really acceptable IMO, make sure you and/or the LBS find out why they died so fast. Not well greased? A bad seal? Loose pivot bolt?

DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    The conditions I ride in are always dry and dusty and I have recently done a 24hr, 100km epic and 3 x 60km+ mountain rides with big down hill runs, the bike has totally impressed me with it's performance under these conditions but having pulled the swing arm off (was blown away how light it was) couldn't believe how small the pivot bearings were, I expected them to be a lot beefier than they were, I've had bigger bearings on my skate boards 20 years ago.

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by obsessivecompulsivemtb
    I've had a constant creak which I originally thought was the seat post but turned out to the pivot bearings, one is very notchy the other is siezed. The bike has done just over 1000km is this the lifespan I should expect. Is it something that might be covered under warranty?
    I hate to be a negative voice here, but crying warranty over a set of pivot bearings? When does it end? They cost like 4 bucks, what next warranty tubes, warranty grips? Save your troubles for the big ones, and your shop will be much happier to see and help you, the current thought process will make them want to run the other way when you walk in, trust me, I've been there, and some folks just don't get it, they think that since they spent 2K on a bike that it means they never have to pay for anything again, this is just not the case. Sorry to hear of your troubles, I too have a perpetual creak that I have yet to get to the bottom of, how did the bearings do for you?

LA CHÈVRE
    Quote Originally Posted by MendonCycleSmith
    I hate to be a negative voice here, but crying warranty over a set of pivot bearings? When does it end? They cost like 4 bucks, what next warranty tubes, warranty grips? Save your troubles for the big ones, and your shop will be much happier to see and help you, the current thought process will make them want to run the other way when you walk in, trust me, I've been there, and some folks just don't get it, they think that since they spent 2K on a bike that it means they never have to pay for anything again, this is just not the case. Sorry to hear of your troubles, I too have a perpetual creak that I have yet to get to the bottom of, how did the bearings do for you?
    Like I said, I'd be more concerned about finding out if you can make the next set last longer by knowing what caused the premature wear than paying the 4 dollars. Mendon is right, hassling the LBS to warranty the cheap bearings is not worth it.

DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

mtbr member
    If it is a warranty issue the bike shop would be reimbursed by Cannondale for parts and labor wouldnt they?

Quote Originally Posted by MendonCycleSmith
    Don't ping my cheese with your bandwidth.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    I'm not to lousy to cough up for the price of the bearings, it's more that they are probably a bit under spec and I thought they may have an upgraded bearing kit or something which one might expect they would happily throw in to rectify what will be a regular problem otherwise.

As for the bike shop guys running the other way well they probably should as they had the bike 2 weeks ago to have a look at the creak and all they did was slap an absurd amount of grease around the pivot, which fixed it for 10km, obviously didn't want to go to to much trouble.

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    I certainly was not implying anything about your lousiness, that would be something more worthy parties would have to determine= Hope no hard feelings were felt, not my intention. I simply mention it because that thought process is becoming so rampant, and felt that getting it out to be part of a broader discussion was a good idea. Sounds as though your LBS may not have the most top notch guys in the back room, but that being said, I tend to look for the obvious answer first, fix that and move forward, a significant amount of Cannondale creak can be fixed by doing as you described, and I would be more interested in what they did next, and then next again. The measure of a true mechanic is not the methods they use, but their ability to get to the bottom of a problem, sometimes it takes a few whacks before the proper solution reveals itself. As to Cannondale warranty, and who pays, yes, the shop would be reimbursed for the parts, (and labor if the rep is nice), but the point remains that after a few months of riding, stuff is not new, and unless it can be seen beyond a shadow of doubt that it is a defect in manufacturing, it is not a warranty, and as such, it puts the rep in a bad position of having to pay for parts that are just worn out through hard use, and having to either piss off the rider, or the shop owner with the decision they make. Yes, the rep owns all warranted parts, he writes them off out of his profits. So before you make them pay for every tube, grip, tire and bolt that gets worn from the hard use we put them through, remember that they will be the same follks who determine whether you get a free Prophet frame upgrade for your dead 6 year old Jekyll frame, or charge you an upgrade fee, what really matters then? Sorry for the thread hijack, but it's a worthwhile discussion you have spawned!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by obsessivecompulsivemtb
    The conditions I ride in are always dry and dusty and I have recently done a 24hr, 100km epic and 3 x 60km+ mountain rides with big down hill runs, the bike has totally impressed me with it's performance under these conditions but having pulled the swing arm off (was blown away how light it was) couldn't believe how small the pivot bearings were, I expected them to be a lot beefier than they were, I've had bigger bearings on my skate boards 20 years ago.
    Here's another post from another forum. It doesn't address the Prophet bearing. It does provide good info about cause of bearing failures.

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=61277

You might be able to find aftermarket bearings here.

http://www.bikeparts.com/ProductInfo/Bearings.html

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    I now know the reason for the problem, as the bearings are designed for spinning at speed they put very little grease in them which has since dried up with the lack of complete movement, being dry the small amount of moisture that has made it past the seal has caused a spot of rust which is enough to sieze the bearing. I have removed the seals from the new pearings and packed them with grease and sealed them back up, should stop the same thing occuring again.

I don't wash my bike with high pressure water and I've never ridden through water that deep so It is probably something everyone with needs to keep an eye on as it would be easy to prevent.