mtbr member
    May 2004

Prophet MX riders?

So I bought an Mx2 (pike, pearl) about 8 months ago. I mostly love the the geometry and general confident feeling I get while riding. I ride the North Shore and I've ridden it at WBP.

I've recently been doing some fork and shock swapping on it. I had a Pearl I bought form the Buy n Sell like two years ago and had it on a Norco Six. The shock was about 1/4" short of total shaft travel and I eventually sold it. This current Pearl that came on the bike is also short of travel (47mm). No matter how much sag I run I never use more than 36mm of shock travel, it's supposed to be a 2" stroke (50mm). So anyway I put a Fox Float R wPP in the rear and what a difference. The rear feels so much more responsive and I use full shaft travel.

Has anyone else feel that the Pearl is kind of dead? Is there some heavy compression damping built in and why did I have two of them that did not get full shaft travel? I love the fact I can lock it out, or not, but I would rather have an active rear end.

Anyone get to try different rear shocks on this bike? Is there someone that can tune the Pearl for me or should I PUSH the FOX and keep the Pearl as a spare?

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Hi!

I ride the pearl and i like it, good response and no bottom out feeling.sag 25%
    i would try to fasten the rebound and open the golden floodgate wheel.
    this will help only a little bit.I lube the sliding surface each second ride.
    with other shocks i am not experienced

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    my brothers 4x (with lefty max carbon up front) runs a swinger 4 way (air) and i find it to work really well, better than the 3 way that's on my prophet (though that one works like a charm too). If i was to buy a new shock for a mx or my prophet i would prob go for a manitou evolver isx6. I have on my other bike that i've tried on my prophet, were it was a great success In time my prophet will get on of those, but i can't afford a cane creek db for my other bike right now so i will have to make due with the 3 way for now. A properly valved rp2(3) or dhx air would prob work as well, or a roco tst air (due to stroke lenght the fr setting would be off limits though). If all else fails, go coil i guess.

personally i believe a mx style prophet set up for larking about can benefit from a piggy back shock as the whole travel can more fine tuned and it's settings usually are more refined. So to answer your question, i would sell both and get an evolver isx6.

altazo
    I rode the Pearl last season and never felt like I got full travel. I weigh 165lbs. and had only about 50-60 psi in it with the floodgate almost fully open. I finally gave up. It seems as though to run another air shock (ie. an RP23 or DHX air), it would most ideally have to come from Cannondale because of the valving involved to compensate for the falling suspension rate. I wanted coil anyways and ordered a DHX 5 from Fox. I ordered a 7.875 x 2.0, but Fox sent me a 7.875 x 2.25. I didn't realize this untill it had been on the bike for a few weeks after looking at the invoice. I only ride the bike in the 67 degree headtube angle anyways, so everything seems to be cool and I guess the bike now has a little more travel. I tried the 65.5 degree headtube angle for about a week last season and thought the bike lost a lot of it's versatility. Besides, this is my AM bike, and I have a DH bike if I'm riding chairlifts or shuttling. Anyways, I'm super happy with my new DHX and will soon be getting a Ti spring to offset some of the weight gained. Finally, full travel! And as of yet no tire marks on the seat tube...

mtbr member
    Dec 2006

Pearl

Hi!

In the last weeks i started to feel unhappy with the Pearl too.I measured the eye to eye length and the usable stroke.The eye to eye is only 195 mm instead of 200mm and the stroke is about 40 mm instead of 50. When i double the pressure to 120 psi i can see the piston coming out 2 mm.I remember also a better performance when the bike was new.

Because one of the bushings at the shock mounts is worn i need a service or another shock. So is it a good thing to ride a 200/ 57 mm shock on the prophet in XC Setting??
    This would bring more stress to the frame when the shock is fully compressed.
    Anyone knows if it is possible to tune the pearl to 57 mm stroke??

Thanks for help!

Best Regards

Members who have read this thread: 0