mtbr member
    Mar 2007

Prophet 4 2007--do I need to get a heavier spring for the fork?

Hey guys, I just ordered the Prophet 4 for $1400 through my local dealer in a small. I read around though and noticed someone mentioned to "make sure to ask for the heavier spring in the fork if you are on the heavier side" and I was wondering what you guys think of that?

I am 175lbs or so--do I need to call back before they ship to my store and make sure they include the heavier spring?

mtbr member
    Your bike will come with a BLUE spring that Cannondale says is for riders 150-169lbs, the RED spring is rated for rides 170-189lbs

Here is the Lefty set up sheet

regards
    Ray

Quote Originally Posted by i3eezenotch
    Hey guys, I just ordered the Prophet 4 for $1400 through my local dealer in a small. I read around though and noticed someone mentioned to "make sure to ask for the heavier spring in the fork if you are on the heavier side" and I was wondering what you guys think of that?

I am 175lbs or so--do I need to call back before they ship to my store and make sure they include the heavier spring?

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray Lee
    Your bike will come with a BLUE spring that Cannondale says is for riders 150-169lbs, the RED spring is rated for rides 170-189lbs

Here is the Lefty set up sheet

regards
    Ray

If I call ahead (before they ship) do you think they would replace the spring free of charge?

Also, I hope to lose a few pounds this summer nad drop to something around 160 although with equipment, etc I doubt I will ever go below 165 with my build.

What do you guys think? Should I go for the red or the blue spring? Or will it not make all that much difference at that point?

mtbr member
    In theory you'd probably be better of with a red spring - BUT (IMPORTANT BUT!!!):

A lot if it will depend on riding style and personal preference.
    Springs are cheap in the grand scheme of things, and not too tough to change yourself (good way to learn about the fork!).
    So it they can't swap it out for free, worse case senario is you spend about $20 -$30 bucks to buy a spring, play around with both of 'em for a while, then sell the one you don't want (or keep in case of drastic weight change).

My Prophet with Lefty MAX SPV came with a green spring, I ended up going with a red spring (purchased form MendonCycleSmith). Never tried the blue one.
    I'm just over 180 right now (ACK - BAD WINTER) and hope to drop back down to 170 soon.

I sold my green spring to some guy in Russia who PM'd me after seeing a post of mine about this (not all people who contact you from Russia to buy stuff are scammers apparently!!)

EDIT - I don't know it they're suppose to change them for free on purchase - I didn't even know about this stuff till after I bought the bike.
    '15 Cannondale Trigger 27.5 Carbon 2
    '05 Prophet 1000
    '09 F3
    '93 Delta V 700
    '08 F6 Lefty (son's)

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by jdr01930
    In theory you'd probably be better of with a red spring - BUT (IMPORTANT BUT!!!):

A lot if it will depend on riding style and personal preference.
    Springs are cheap in the grand scheme of things, and not too tough to change yourself (good way to learn about the fork!).
    So it they can't swap it out for free, worse case senario is you spend about $20 -$30 bucks to buy a spring, play around with both of 'em for a while, then sell the one you don't want (or keep in case of drastic weight change).

My Prophet with Lefty MAX SPV came with a green spring, I ended up going with a red spring (purchased form MendonCycleSmith). Never tried the blue one.
    I'm just over 180 right now (ACK - BAD WINTER) and hope to drop back down to 170 soon.

I sold my green spring to some guy in Russia who PM'd me after seeing a post of mine about this (not all people who contact you from Russia to buy stuff are scammers apparently!!)

EDIT - I don't know it they're suppose to change them for free on purchase - I didn't even know about this stuff till after I bought the bike.

Say with gear I'm at 170lbs--which spring would be better? It seems it is very borderline. I don't know if I feel comfortable messing with a fork (I heard it's somewhat messy stuff).

Also, what will the performance differences be between the heavier and lighter springs? I won't be taking ridiculous drops (maybe in the future?) but I will be riding the bike down stairs and hopefully taking 2-4ft drops to flats occasionally.

What you guys think?

mtbr member

spring for prophet 4

i would go with the heavier spring. im riding a large prophet with the lefty fork and im on the edge of my spring weight range. the fork feels great while doing normal riding or small jumps and it tracks very well. but once things heat up or i had to break hard my weight transfer to the front happends very fast and upsets the balance of the bike. I have ended up buying the SPV kit for my lefty and from what i have been reading it makes the fork work nicer.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    I would go with the heavier spring if you are on the borderline between two. I ride a large Prophet and weigh about 170. I tried both the red and black on my FFD and there is no question that the black (heavier) is the better spring for me.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Wait...but I just realized from looking at the above spring kits, my bike is coming with a GREEN spring and I need a BLACK one? (the second image) --this is for the lefty TPC/FFD, not the SPV.

mtbr member
    You absolutely right about the needing a black spring but its coming with a blue

Blue for FFD is for only 120-140 pound rider (kids spring )
    Black FFD is for the 170-199 pounder (grown ups)
    and I use the brown (horse sized model )

Sorry for the bad info before, Do you know if your LBS stocks springs or if you cant add it to the order in time? Just let me know if you cant get one, I have a black spring from my 2007 Prophet I can send you ($20 and shipping).

Ray

Wait...but I just realized from looking at the above spring kits, my bike is coming with a GREEN spring and I need a BLACK one? (the second image) --this is for the lefty TPC/FFD, not the SPV.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    You absolutely right about the needing a black spring but its coming with a blue

Blue for FFD is for only 120-140 pound rider (kids spring )
    Black FFD is for the 170-199 pounder (grown ups)
    and I use the brown (horse sized model )

Sorry for the bad info before, Do you know if your LBS stocks springs or if you cant add it to the order in time? Just let me know if you cant get one, I have a black spring from my 2007 Prophet I can send you ($20 and shipping).

Ray

My LBS does stock the springs and said I can just pay the difference in cost between the blue and the spring I choose. They also said that they don't think it's really necessary to change the spring.

But if I do change the spring...maybe it' sbetter to go something in between like the red spring? Especially if I hope to drop under 170lbs if possible...or do you think the heavier spring is better either way? What are the DOWNSIDES of having a heavier spring?

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    My LBS does stock the springs and said I can just pay the difference in cost between the blue and the spring I choose. They also said that they don't think it's really necessary to change the spring.

But if I do change the spring...maybe it' sbetter to go something in between like the red spring? Especially if I hope to drop under 170lbs if possible...or do you think the heavier spring is better either way? What are the DOWNSIDES of having a heavier spring?
    If you bike shop said you don't have to change your spring they are idiots. There are no downsides whatsoever in using the CORRECT spring for your weight.

mtbr member
    I am no expert but I would go with the Cannondale chart on this one with out a doubt, The PRophet was my first real suspension bike and I was clueless how to set it up, well they sent me on my way with one spring to soft and I HATED the bike, I felt like I was going to flip over the bars on medium bumps/ruts and even a few (4-5) small bumps in row (like stairs) would get the fork lower and lower and I went along.

You fine tune the sag with super easy threaded rings inside the top of the lefty, I guess if you cranked them all the way down it would be ridable but I just believe Cannondale may know a bit more that the LBS (I bet you they are confused with what color spring and what Lefty (FFD or SPV) as we where.

There is a big difference between 120-149lbs and 170-199lbs

They are only like $35 at the LBS, at least buy the black and compare for yourself, the piece of mind alone would be well worth it.

regards
    Ray

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I am no expert but I would go with the Cannondale chart on this one with out a doubt, The PRophet was my first real suspension bike and I was clueless how to set it up, well they sent me on my way with one spring to soft and I HATED the bike, I felt like I was going to flip over the bars on medium bumps/ruts and even a few (4-5) small bumps in row (like stairs) would get the fork lower and lower and I went along.

You fine tune the sag with super easy threaded rings inside the top of the lefty, I guess if you cranked them all the way down it would be ridable but I just believe Cannondale may know a bit more that the LBS (I bet you they are confused with what color spring and what Lefty (FFD or SPV) as we where.

There is a big difference between 120-149lbs and 170-199lbs

They are only like $35 at the LBS, at least buy the black and compare for yourself, the piece of mind alone would be well worth it.

regards
    Ray

So would you say if I am around 170, it would be better to go with the lower end of the black spring specs rather than the higher end of the red?

I feel like the black would be less plush?

Should I be worried about the quality of this LBS? I'm buying at REI because they have that 100% guarantee thing.

mtbr member

get the black

I would get the black spring. Lefty's are a very smooth fork and deal with bumps large and small rather well. i have a black spring in my bike and im at the top of the weight chart for that spring. i found that sprinting and hard stops the weight transfer to the front was very excessive. You will also weight more with gear ex.. camel pack..water food ect. it is only 30 dollars or so for the spring. So i would go with the heavy spring and if you dont like it then change out to the red. im waiting on my spv kit and will let you know how much better it works for me next week. im 200 lb on a large prophet..

karl

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by karlmichael
    I would get the black spring. Lefty's are a very smooth fork and deal with bumps large and small rather well. i have a black spring in my bike and im at the top of the weight chart for that spring. i found that sprinting and hard stops the weight transfer to the front was very excessive. You will also weight more with gear ex.. camel pack..water food ect. it is only 30 dollars or so for the spring. So i would go with the heavy spring and if you dont like it then change out to the red. im waiting on my spv kit and will let you know how much better it works for me next week. im 200 lb on a large prophet..

karl

Alrighty--by the way, is the SPV kit much better than the TPC? How much is it? Thanks!

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Also, is there anything else on the Prophet 4 2007 that can use an upgrade? I think I can return any part on it for the price at which it sells and replace it if I want to. I don't want to invest too much more than the $1500 w/ tax I put down already though considering I'm no pro (yet hahaha :P)

got the dhr...
    Also, is there anything else on the Prophet 4 2007 that can use an upgrade? I think I can return any part on it for the price at which it sells and replace it if I want to. I don't want to invest too much more than the $1500 w/ tax I put down already though considering I'm no pro (yet hahaha :P)
    You should ride it first, but I would say tires, grips, saddle. Maybe also pedals, handelbars, and stem. But defintey ride it first.

mtbr member

hey

Im getting the svp kit for 300 parts plus labor. there are 3 different types of lefty max. the standard type FFD TCP and SPV. i have the FFD and im use to being able to lock out my fork and i also like a stiffer ride. the SPV had a lot of the qualities i like but also still has the ability to take large hits well. also from what i had read about the TCP is a nice shock upgrade as well and cost around 150 plus labor. here is alink to the MTBR forum that talks about the kits. http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=338711 ride your bike first. i was crashing the first 2 weeks because i was not use to the travel of my front fork and i unbalanced on my bike in the XC setting but now i ride in the FR setting and im keeping up with my buddies now on rides.

ride for a few weeks first. most to the parts you can buy will only be weight upgrades. it is cheaper to lose a few pounds from the beer gut..... i might upgrade my crank and bottom bracket only because the 2008 line is comming out and you can get good deals on the xt 2007 hollow teck but every thing else is good on the bike. once the rims or hubs go out then spend some cash and get a nicer set..

karl

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Im getting the svp kit for 300 parts plus labor. there are 3 different types of lefty max. the standard type FFD TCP and SPV. i have the FFD and im use to being able to lock out my fork and i also like a stiffer ride. the SPV had a lot of the qualities i like but also still has the ability to take large hits well. also from what i had read about the TCP is a nice shock upgrade as well and cost around 150 plus labor. here is alink to the MTBR forum that talks about the kits. http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=338711 ride your bike first. i was crashing the first 2 weeks because i was not use to the travel of my front fork and i unbalanced on my bike in the XC setting but now i ride in the FR setting and im keeping up with my buddies now on rides.

ride for a few weeks first. most to the parts you can buy will only be weight upgrades. it is cheaper to lose a few pounds from the beer gut..... i might upgrade my crank and bottom bracket only because the 2008 line is comming out and you can get good deals on the xt 2007 hollow teck but every thing else is good on the bike. once the rims or hubs go out then spend some cash and get a nicer set..

karl
    thx for the link! From the info, I definitely will be sticking to TPC. I don't mind most components except Maybe it is worth upgrading the rims/tires eventually to lose some weight there and make it easier to pedal.

I'm so excited for when this bike comes in.

REI told me that their standard is 4-6 wks for special orders. Do you think this applies to bikes too? My REI is in Phila, PA and I know the Cannondale distributor is here in PA as well. If it does take that long--what is it that makes it that way?

mtbr member

hand made in the USA

when i had my warrenty issue with cannondale i could either wait for my frame to be made..3-5 weeks i was quoted for a prophet frame or find a local dealer and cannondale would comp. the shop for the bike. so i think the time they quoted you is for shipping and for the company to make frame? not sure.. i kinda think they would have a bunch already made in some factory..just going off what a cannondale rep told me.

karl

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    when i had my warrenty issue with cannondale i could either wait for my frame to be made..3-5 weeks i was quoted for a prophet frame or find a local dealer and cannondale would comp. the shop for the bike. so i think the time they quoted you is for shipping and for the company to make frame? not sure.. i kinda think they would have a bunch already made in some factory..just going off what a cannondale rep told me.

karl

Oh the bike is there since it's an 07. REI called them for me to see if they had any 07s left and they thought that there would be none. But luckily I was able to order an 07 Prophet 4 in a small (black and red--I couldn't find a picture of an 07 in black and red ANYWHERE online lol or in the picture thread...only on cannondale's website :-/ but hopefully it looks good.). They said they always quote 4-6 wks on any special order and that they often come earlier. How long does it usually take c'dale to ship if thye hav ethe bike?

mtbr member

not sure

not sure. but you should be ready to ride once it gets to you. what college are you attending? and are you going to put on more urban tires? or keep it stock? and a nice lock too? to keep greedy kids away from your new baby....

karl

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    not sure. but you should be ready to ride once it gets to you. what college are you attending? and are you going to put on more urban tires? or keep it stock? and a nice lock too? to keep greedy kids away from your new baby....

karl

Well if it doesn't come this week, I may have to wait til early or mid-may to pick it up because I'll have finals and studying for the MCAT coming up . This is why I'm so anxious. I go to school at UPenn and here in Philly there's nooooo way in heeelll I would keep my bike outside...I'd even think twice about keeping it if I had a small apartment. I'm going to keep it in my dorm which is on a high floor so no worries there and I have a commuter Specialized P.1 or P.3 (don't know--it was painted over hehe). The C'dale is my way of unwinding after exams and weekend rides. I'm looking forward to the summer when I can reall ytake advantage of it. I'm in NE Philly then.

Can't wait ughhh I can't even focus on my orgo reading haha!

mtbr member

nice

I have to ride again. i was getting into fights at college with stupid kids. some kids think that just because your quiet you cant bring the down. LOL im 29 and spent some time in the military. i got hurt in a training thing......so now im using GI bill and going to college to finish up BS and masters. Not my dream job right now but life is crazy so just go with the flow. So riding is the way i relax from college and makes me happy and that makes wife very happy.

on saterday i was out riding on a new trail ( in the heat of the day) and i was setting up on a slight down hill section for a 4 ft drop and i had a rattlesnake in the side bushes coil up and scare the crap out of me. i was able to land the jump but i had to stop for a bit and check myself. i hope you get to ride on some trails. the prophet seems to work better the faster you go and once you get the right spring....fun fun times

karl

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I have to ride again. i was getting into fights at college with stupid kids. some kids think that just because your quiet you cant bring the down. LOL im 29 and spent some time in the military. i got hurt in a training thing......so now im using GI bill and going to college to finish up BS and masters. Not my dream job right now but life is crazy so just go with the flow. So riding is the way i relax from college and makes me happy and that makes wife very happy.

on saterday i was out riding on a new trail ( in the heat of the day) and i was setting up on a slight down hill section for a 4 ft drop and i had a rattlesnake in the side bushes coil up and scare the crap out of me. i was able to land the jump but i had to stop for a bit and check myself. i hope you get to ride on some trails. the prophet seems to work better the faster you go and once you get the right spring....fun fun times

karl

thanks--I'm excited. Hopefully I can either get osme friends to join me or meet up with some of the folks here on mtbr in the summer.

Gl with the BS and Masters! Don't let anything stop ya :P

Members who have read this thread: 0