mtbr member
    Apr 2008

Prophet 3 vx. Rush 5z

Good Evening,

I am ready to purchase a new moutain bike. I always wanted a Cannondale and full suspension. I was wondering what do you suggest I purchase? On Cannondale's website they list the Prophet 3 as "All Moutain" and the Rusch 5z as "Marathon". The only major difference between the 2 I can see is the travel distance of the rear suspension. The Phrophet is listed at 140mm and the Rush at 110mm. I do not plan on riding more than 16 miles in a given day so the idea of a bike designed for a marathon does not appeal to me.They are both listed in the same price range. Does anyone know a major advantage to one or the other?

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated...

Thanks

SPROUT

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    The prophet is a little heavier, intended for more "extreme" riding. The Rush is more comfortable in long rides, but also a little lighter. If, as you say, you won't be riding more than 16 miles in any given time, either one will do, but the Rush would be a little easier to live with...

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    It depends on how and where you ride, really. If the stuff you ride is fairly moderate with few fast downhills or lots of obstacles, go for the rush. If you want more flexibility for airtime and drops and the ability to take larger obstacles, the prophet is the way to go. If it were me, I'd go with the Rush in that situation because it is nicer than the prophet 3. It has adjustable propedal and a much nicer feeling shock.

got the dhr...
    The prophet is for more extreme riding. the rush for less extreme riding. If you do jumps, drops, fast downhills, or other stunts regularly, go for the prophet. If you do more cross-country type riding, go for the rush. That said, I would choose the prophet, but it all depends on you.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Thanks Guys for your feedback!!!!

I purchased a Rush 5z today. I'll be picking up Monday and hopefully riding by Tuesday..

Thanks Again..

SPROUT

Members who have read this thread: 0