Results 1 to 42 of 42
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    172

    Good job! Prophet 2000 - just amazing

    Ok, I have now got enough miles under my belt with my prophet 2000 to categorically state that this bike BLOWS my old Jekyll out of the water in terms of performace.
    Admittedly my Jekyll was a year 2000, model 2000 so it only had 100mm suspension and 'older' technology, but it was still a damn fine bike and a great descender for an XC type bike.

    My prophet absolutely ROCKS. My setup is stock with a few small changes....203mm disc up front, Monkeylite bar & oury grips, UST Spiders, NON dual control shifter/brakes and Time ATAC pedals and thats it.

    This bike is SO stable, even in XC position, at high speeds. It goes where you point it. No bouncing around. No losing my line. It just LAUGHS at anything I can throw at. Its a magic carpet ride on the rough stuff. It begs for more. I am pretty much sure that I will never get to the point where its not enough for me, whereas my old jekyll was very much a hindrance to my descending abilities - prompting me to upgrade to a new bike....the prophet. I think I'll take the last rites before I try it in the freeride position.

    Somebody on this forum said the suspension takes a while to 'settle' or get 'broken in'. I agree. I was pretty disappointed the first couple of rides. Ok, I needed to tune the suspension, but still....it didnt seem that great. Now???.... buttery smooth on low speed impacts and less harsh than the first couple of rides. Just incredible at high speeds.

    Climbing is a dream. Bob ? Who he ?

    Do it.

    Buy one.

    Ride.
    R.I.P 26ers....

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: DoubleDutch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    75

    I Agree !!!!

    Best bike ever ...!!!!

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    114
    I also agree. I had an NRS and an AC. It blows them away. I love everything about it.

    PAT

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: MarkHL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    946
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Missile
    Ok, I have now got enough miles under my belt with my prophet 2000 to categorically state that this bike BLOWS my old Jekyll out of the water in terms of performace.
    Admittedly my Jekyll was a year 2000, model 2000 so it only had 100mm suspension and 'older' technology, but it was still a damn fine bike and a great descender for an XC type bike.

    My prophet absolutely ROCKS. My setup is stock with a few small changes....203mm disc up front, Monkeylite bar & oury grips, UST Spiders, NON dual control shifter/brakes and Time ATAC pedals and thats it.

    This bike is SO stable, even in XC position, at high speeds. It goes where you point it. No bouncing around. No losing my line. It just LAUGHS at anything I can throw at. Its a magic carpet ride on the rough stuff. It begs for more. I am pretty much sure that I will never get to the point where its not enough for me, whereas my old jekyll was very much a hindrance to my descending abilities - prompting me to upgrade to a new bike....the prophet. I think I'll take the last rites before I try it in the freeride position.

    Somebody on this forum said the suspension takes a while to 'settle' or get 'broken in'. I agree. I was pretty disappointed the first couple of rides. Ok, I needed to tune the suspension, but still....it didnt seem that great. Now???.... buttery smooth on low speed impacts and less harsh than the first couple of rides. Just incredible at high speeds.

    Climbing is a dream. Bob ? Who he ?

    Do it.

    Buy one.

    Ride.
    Shouldn't leave out the advantages of 13.7" of ground clearance in the equation. Nice to ride without smacking the pedals off of rocks.

  5. #5
    Out riding my Scalpel
    Reputation: subzero's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    249

    Man those Prophets are so nice

    I was thinking of selling my 2003 Jekyll or trading it in at my LBS and getting a Prophet in the near future. Cannondale does have a great trade-in program according to my LBS. But I have a 2005 Scalpel now so I'll just hold on to my Jekyll in the mean time. Great bikes make great fun. Prophets are darn sweet rides.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    132

    The Missile - help needed

    The Missile

    Read your post with a lot of interest. I'm in a very similar position to you in that I mainly ride XC, don't do huge drop-offs and own a 2001 Jeckyl 3000. I've always thought highly of the Jeckyl and while the suspension is no longer the latest and greatest, I appreciated the lock outs front and back and the overall package.

    I've been pondering whether to upgrade to a Prophet and whether it is a big step up from the Jeckyl - is it worth the change or do I stick with the Jeckyl. Love the Prophet 4000 but way too much money. The 2000 fits the bill nicely but really don't want to try the XT dual controls and realise that I don't like them and likewise I cannot be convinced that rapid rise rear derailer is the way to go. I was interested that you went to rapid fire - any reason other than similar concerns to mine about the dual controls ????

    Did you keep the XT brakes or change to another brand and on a similar note did you put the oversize Easton bars on - I was thinking about putting a standard stem and bar as I don't need the additional strength.

    I have a large in the Jeckyl (I'm 5' 8" and 175 lbs) and tried the large and med prophet but found the large felt better - any comment on size??

    I'd greatly appreciate your feedback

    Thanks in advance
    Last edited by Roger9; 04-07-2005 at 10:07 PM.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    172

    .....spec changes on the Prophet

    I loved my 2000 jekyll 2000 with a passion. It was an upgrade from a Y22 which was nice as it was my first FS, but the Jekyll blew it away. The Prophet is yet a again a step (or even maybe 2) change from the Jekyll.

    I do mostly XC but love to blast my way down hill when I get to the top. Here in the Jura we have no choice. We can really only go up, to come down again. Doh...but what I mean is there is really not much flat terrain. I don't do drop offs but we have a number of freeride/DH courses around here (les gets, morzine, chateaubief, portes du soleil, verbier, villars) and I used to be out of place on those on my Jekyll, but elsewhere it was perfect.... until I realised the Jekyll was old technology having ridden next to a guy with a new Jekyll which started everything........anyway......the prophet will now deliver on those courses for me, but thats a bit moot now as I also have a gemini 2000 which my wife thinks I'm selling.

    ....I hated the look of the Dual control (big deal huh), and no matter what people say, it looks fragile........as someone has in their avatar "if its more complicated there is more that can go wrong".....for hi speed descents I am not convinced gear changes wouldn't happen accidentally due to being bounced around.
    I was recommended not to get them for my style of riding and I was easily convinced. On the plus side, a set of XT rapid fire levers and XT brakelever as separates are way cheaper than the dual control so the $ to change was minimal.

    I looked at putting another brand of brakes on but the $ cost was not a great incentive. I have many friends who have the XT hydraulics and they are well pleased. I have to say they rock and are better than my Hayes I had before. I also put on a 203 mm disc up front because my 160mm hayes, even when bled correctly were not powerful enough. This setup is like throwing an anchor out!!

    I went for the Monkeylite based on prior experience - vibration damping is great and light and BOMBproof. I stayed with the fat bar because the stem was already specced fat and the weight difference is peanuts and the cost would have been more.

    I took Time ATAC pedals because Shimano and mud don't go together. My old Time pedals have been flawless.

    Larger bikes have a longer wheelbase...longer wheelbase = higher stability, all else being equal of course. If you have a large Jekyll now I would expect a large Prophet would be the right sitze, but go with whatever feels right.

    And finally....what planet are the folks at Cannondale from with the price of the 4000 ??
    In the US its expen$ive enough but here in Switzerland....approx 7500 US$

    I bought my 2000 in the US way cheaper than here and saved approx 35%.

    so...enough...I have work to do
    R.I.P 26ers....

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    132

    Go Prophet

    Thanks for the valuable information. I'm from Australia and thought the US$6000 price for the Prophet 4000 was high but I'm now glad I'm not in Switzerland - but then again from my experience in Switzerland, nothing was cheap !!!!

    I appreciated your comments and I'd have to say we are on the same wave-length. The only exception is that I'm keen on egg-beaters, but other than that I think you've got the perfect setup - well done.

    Hope you continue to enjoy the Prophet and the hills.

  9. #9
    All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    Reputation: MendonCycleSmith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    15,776
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger9
    Thanks for the valuable information. I'm from Australia and thought the US$6000 price for the Prophet 4000 was high but I'm now glad I'm not in Switzerland - but then again from my experience in Switzerland, nothing was cheap !!!!

    I appreciated your comments and I'd have to say we are on the same wave-length. The only exception is that I'm keen on egg-beaters, but other than that I think you've got the perfect setup - well done.

    Hope you continue to enjoy the Prophet and the hills.
    Ouch, I feel for you guys overseas, those prices are HARSH!! Have you tried the dual controls? Have you tried them for more than a parking lot test? They make absolutely no sense in these conditions. Try them for a week or two on your trails, and it will be much more apparent why they are a good thing. People keep saying" oh they're so fragile, they'll break" I have yet to see it, or hear of it, except in circumstances where anything would have. Remember they move on more axis's then any other brake lever, why would that make them break more?They are also no more complicated than rapidfires, so that point is a nonstarter. The rapid rise makes no sense either, till used with dual control, in the woods, at which point again, it comes into it's own. It drives me nut's how averse people are to them without even using them other than in the parking lot, 6" of travel is pretty pointless there too, except to say wow, that's a lot of squish.... cool. I have used them for 3 years now, and actually switched back to them from the lame X9's that came on my 4000. As the Missile said, keep the OS bars, they are nice, stiff, and too much is never enough for some things. Egg beaters rock too. Whatever you do though, get a Prophet, your gonna smile so hard it's gonna cramp your cheeks!

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation: mtbidwell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    702
    Quote Originally Posted by *Double Dutch*
    Best bike ever ...!!!!
    I agree this bike is tops. As for the Dual control levers they seem ok. For the first month I hated them and kept unintentionally shifting, especially on steep decents and jumps. The past 2 months have proved different. Once used to them, they seem pretty functional and rarely mis-shift as before.

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    62
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkHL
    Shouldn't leave out the advantages of 13.7" of ground clearance in the equation. Nice to ride without smacking the pedals off of rocks.

    Yup.. the same ground clearance that means I have to d rop the bike into Freeride and modify the front wheel bracket with an empty coffee cup in order for my roof-mounted rack to be able to reach the frame....

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    24
    I was going to buy the 4000 at $5000 but wanted to change some components. I had my LBS buy the frame and fork direct and build me a custom bike - they built an even higher end bike for the same price. The 4000 is v overpriced. You could custom build it with the stock components for about $700 less!

    Quote Originally Posted by The_Missile
    I loved my 2000 jekyll 2000 with a passion. It was an upgrade from a Y22 which was nice as it was my first FS, but the Jekyll blew it away. The Prophet is yet a again a step (or even maybe 2) change from the Jekyll.

    I do mostly XC but love to blast my way down hill when I get to the top. Here in the Jura we have no choice. We can really only go up, to come down again. Doh...but what I mean is there is really not much flat terrain. I don't do drop offs but we have a number of freeride/DH courses around here (les gets, morzine, chateaubief, portes du soleil, verbier, villars) and I used to be out of place on those on my Jekyll, but elsewhere it was perfect.... until I realised the Jekyll was old technology having ridden next to a guy with a new Jekyll which started everything........anyway......the prophet will now deliver on those courses for me, but thats a bit moot now as I also have a gemini 2000 which my wife thinks I'm selling.

    ....I hated the look of the Dual control (big deal huh), and no matter what people say, it looks fragile........as someone has in their avatar "if its more complicated there is more that can go wrong".....for hi speed descents I am not convinced gear changes wouldn't happen accidentally due to being bounced around.
    I was recommended not to get them for my style of riding and I was easily convinced. On the plus side, a set of XT rapid fire levers and XT brakelever as separates are way cheaper than the dual control so the $ to change was minimal.

    I looked at putting another brand of brakes on but the $ cost was not a great incentive. I have many friends who have the XT hydraulics and they are well pleased. I have to say they rock and are better than my Hayes I had before. I also put on a 203 mm disc up front because my 160mm hayes, even when bled correctly were not powerful enough. This setup is like throwing an anchor out!!

    I went for the Monkeylite based on prior experience - vibration damping is great and light and BOMBproof. I stayed with the fat bar because the stem was already specced fat and the weight difference is peanuts and the cost would have been more.

    I took Time ATAC pedals because Shimano and mud don't go together. My old Time pedals have been flawless.

    Larger bikes have a longer wheelbase...longer wheelbase = higher stability, all else being equal of course. If you have a large Jekyll now I would expect a large Prophet would be the right sitze, but go with whatever feels right.

    And finally....what planet are the folks at Cannondale from with the price of the 4000 ??
    In the US its expen$ive enough but here in Switzerland....approx 7500 US$

    I bought my 2000 in the US way cheaper than here and saved approx 35%.

    so...enough...I have work to do

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    132

    Mcs

    Quote Originally Posted by MendonCycleSmith
    Ouch, I feel for you guys overseas, those prices are HARSH!! Have you tried the dual controls? Have you tried them for more than a parking lot test? They make absolutely no sense in these conditions. Try them for a week or two on your trails, and it will be much more apparent why they are a good thing. People keep saying" oh they're so fragile, they'll break" I have yet to see it, or hear of it, except in circumstances where anything would have. Remember they move on more axis's then any other brake lever, why would that make them break more?They are also no more complicated than rapidfires, so that point is a nonstarter. The rapid rise makes no sense either, till used with dual control, in the woods, at which point again, it comes into it's own. It drives me nut's how averse people are to them without even using them other than in the parking lot, 6" of travel is pretty pointless there too, except to say wow, that's a lot of squish.... cool. I have used them for 3 years now, and actually switched back to them from the lame X9's that came on my 4000. As the Missile said, keep the OS bars, they are nice, stiff, and too much is never enough for some things. Egg beaters rock too. Whatever you do though, get a Prophet, your gonna smile so hard it's gonna cramp your cheeks!

    I agree 100% with most of your post. I've never questioned that the dual controls are more fragile - as you said if they moove in more directions they are obviously less likely to break. I've only used the dual controls in the car park as I haven't had any other opportumity. My only real logic is that I believe rapid fires have worked really well for many years and naturally any change is resisted (initially). I liked the simplicity of the rapid fires but agree that inside the "box" there are many inticate parts that can go wrong, but as a gear change they always served well and like most tools they become instinctive.

    I suppose the biggest problem for a lot of people is that the dual controls combine a different shifting method with the added change of rapid rise rear derailer - its a lot of change in one hit and I can understand the need for a bit of time to get used to it .

    Like most people on this forum, I'm not necessarily adverse to anything, but use initial gut feel about something to promote further discusion AND knowledge - this is a great forum made better by all contributors.

    Thanks Guys

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    245
    My first bike is a road bike that came with the STI shifting. even thought they are not the same as the dual control shifter, they have a lot of things in commons. i like dual shifter, not because it shift better but it looks better and have a cleaner looks. the DC shifting is different than the RF shifting, but not better or worse. i don't think people should switch it out before they have really test on it for a week or two. again this is my two cents.

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    20

    Jeykl 2000 is faster

    Quote Originally Posted by The_Missile
    Ok, I have now got enough miles under my belt with my prophet 2000 to categorically state that this bike BLOWS my old Jekyll out of the water in terms of performace.
    Admittedly my Jekyll was a year 2000, model 2000 so it only had 100mm suspension and 'older' technology, but it was still a damn fine bike and a great descender for an XC type bike.

    My prophet absolutely ROCKS. My setup is stock with a few small changes....203mm disc up front, Monkeylite bar & oury grips, UST Spiders, NON dual control shifter/brakes and Time ATAC pedals and thats it.

    This bike is SO stable, even in XC position, at high speeds. It goes where you point it. No bouncing around. No losing my line. It just LAUGHS at anything I can throw at. Its a magic carpet ride on the rough stuff. It begs for more. I am pretty much sure that I will never get to the point where its not enough for me, whereas my old jekyll was very much a hindrance to my descending abilities - prompting me to upgrade to a new bike....the prophet. I think I'll take the last rites before I try it in the freeride position.

    Somebody on this forum said the suspension takes a while to 'settle' or get 'broken in'. I agree. I was pretty disappointed the first couple of rides. Ok, I needed to tune the suspension, but still....it didnt seem that great. Now???.... buttery smooth on low speed impacts and less harsh than the first couple of rides. Just incredible at high speeds.

    Climbing is a dream. Bob ? Who he ?

    Do it.

    Buy one.

    Ride.
    aerial

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    20
    Jekyl 2000 v prophet 2000
    Jekyl faster uphill due to lighter rotational wheelset
    Prophet faster downhill due to bigger and heavier wheelset
    Prophet does not replace Jekyl
    End of story
    Cheers Steve

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation: dras's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    150
    Is there that much difference between an 04 Jekyll and an Prophet? The 04 Jekyll (1000), has the 140 mm travel.

  18. #18
    All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    Reputation: MendonCycleSmith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    15,776
    I suppose the biggest problem for a lot of people is that the dual controls combine a different shifting method with the added change of rapid rise rear derailer - its a lot of change in one hit and I can understand the need for a bit of time to get used to it .My only thoughts on this are these, the reason dual control works well with rapid rise is this. I hated rapidrise previously because it reversed many years of thinking and shifting, and royally screwed up my head. By having a totally different shifting concept, it allowed me to try it without confusion. The first dual control bike I had, I said to myself, I'm gonna hate this rear derr, and switched it to a low normal traditional for the first few rides. Then I switched to the rapid rise for a few, just to be fair. To my amazement, the rapid rise was a huge improvement. It allowed my shifting to be easier to manipulate when it needed to be (climbing hills, shifting to easier gears, just knock your knuckle into it), and the derr, could decide when to make that shift, as opposed to my telling it, and it COMPLAINING as it did what I asked. When going fast, I can dump like five or six gears down without going clicka clicka clicka clicka. Just one smooth sweep, done. Very hip. Again, do what you like, but if you are of an open mind, don't discount it till you have tried it, you can always go back, with the knowledge that at least you know know.

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    351

    Good job! O.T. comment

    I just wanted to add that I've rode just about every shifter component out there.

    I've been on Dual Control & Rapid Rise for over a year now & let me tell you those who discredit them without riding them for more than a few rides have no clue to the joys they are missing.

    These things rock.

    Stich

  20. #20
    LA CHÈVRE
    Reputation: Dan Gerous's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    9,429

    Good job! Wooooooooo Hoooo!

    Finally, after way too many weeks of staring at my Prophet 2000 sitting sadly in my living room, I just got back from my first ride on the beast! Here is just a quick first impression, I'll post a decent review when I have more time on it on more varied and 'Prophet-worthy' trails.

    It was just a one hour ride on some very tame terrain but it was enough to show the potential of the bike: it's just amazing! It's gonna be very fun this season. The geometry is just perfect for me, it climbs great on or off the saddle with tons of traction and it's easy to shift my weight for cornering like I was on rails and going down like crazy: the bike is so stable it almost feels slower than it really is. I was in the XC mode. Now, I just need to un-learn my 'Genesis-geometry-riding-over-weight-shifting' and get adjusted to the bike.

    I still had the Maxxis tires and, yes you all know it already but: they are beasts! As soon as the climbs get a little steep, they sure make their presence known. Not only are they very heavy, they may be high rollers but aren't very fast rollers. Combined with my early season physical condition, my friend riding his brand new Scalpel 2000 had to wait for me a bit... they'll be out of there very soon, I already have replacements ready to be mounted but I wanted to try them even tough I knew they would be a pain: now I know for sure.

    I still have to fine tune the suspension, particularly in the back (the recommanded settings seemed way too harsh but I lowered the PSI a bit too much), but that Lefty Max has to be the best fork I ever tried. I had a bit too much pressure in the SPV but I'm still impressed. It's as nervous and stiff as my old headshok but the action is smooth as silk! I didn't do any drops or jumps yet but I tried hitting any obstacles I could find and it just felt so smooth and steady.

    Other things I noticed: I think Shimano improved their Dual-Control levers. I had a full 2004 XT group last year and was happy with it but the 2005 XT with rear XTR shifts are quicker and more precise than it ever was on my last bike. Maybe it's just the XTR rear or the much better cable routing compared to my old bike (Fisher Cake 1_DLX 2004) but it's a great system IMO. I know a lot of people hate them (most without much experience on them) but after a year on Dual-Controls, I'm very happy about them.

    Did I say the Maxxis tires are slow and heavy?

    Now, I just need to get back into shape. I will pickup my 'climber's jersey winning' road bike this week to train, do some serious milage when I can't get to some trails during the week but really, I can't wait to hit some long and crazy trails with the Prophet.

    Last edited by Dan Gerous; 04-12-2005 at 09:07 PM. Reason: I love to edit!

    DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    245
    nice road bike, i wish i could get a new road bike with full campy record. Maybe next year??? yeah i'm still using the slow and heavy ass maxxis tires, because i'm a college kid and don't have that much cash to spend on 40+ dollar per tire. But i'm saving up and wait for good deals on tires.

  22. #22
    Out riding my Scalpel
    Reputation: subzero's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    249

    The Prophet kicks!

    Very nice road bike Dan. Glad to hear your ready to hit the road and trails in your homeland. That Prophet must be killer to ride. All I know is my Scalpel rocks. Here's a shot of my Specialized Epic road bike. I do road alot. Full Campy Chorus except the cranks, they're Cook Bros. cranks. Next road bike will be a Cannondale R1000. Builds milage and helps me in the mountains.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by subzero; 04-13-2005 at 09:44 PM.

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    172

    prophet 2000 bike porn

    aaaaghhh....my thread is contaminated by roadie bike porn.....

    see below for antidote
    Attached Images Attached Images
    R.I.P 26ers....

  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Ruben C's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    78
    [QUOTE=The_Missile]aaaaghhh....my thread is contaminated by roadie bike porn.....

    see below for antidote [/QUOT


    Missile if you don't mind my asking, how much did you pay for your tires front & rear?

    by the way I really like your bike, i think the my prophet 600 in blue would look sweet with those tires too.

  25. #25
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    72
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Missile
    aaaaghhh....my thread is contaminated by roadie bike porn.....

    see below for antidote
    Just curious, maybe this is a stupid question, what is that thing running off of the front brake caliper in the last picture, is it a sensor mount for a computer. Also where did you get it.

  26. #26
    LA CHÈVRE
    Reputation: Dan Gerous's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    9,429
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Missile
    aaaaghhh....my thread is contaminated by roadie bike porn.....

    see below for antidote
    Nice bike, nice homemade (just a guess) computer magnet mounting bracket and nice front rotor! I was wondering about going with a bigger rotor up front on mine too...

    Is your back wheel hitting the fender often?

    Oh, and sorry for bringing road bikes in yor thread, wont happen again (from me at least!).

    DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

  27. #27
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    172

    home made stuff and dual shmual

    Dan is right: the bracket is a homemade support for the wireless speedo sensor. I tried a number of combos and this one works best for me. Its basically a strip of aluminium about 3/5 inch wide and maybe 1/8 inch thick bent & twisted with a variable pitch monkey wrench in a vice. The end is then filed to accomodate the zip ties to hold on the sensor.

    I tried this with a thinner metal strip but it vibrated too much and previous versions got a bad case of spoke attack with the obvious consequences. This version is pretty bomb proof, clean looking and most importanly works flawlessly as the transmitter is now close enough to the computer for it to read the signal.

    Cost of tires: Hutchinson Spider from www.barracuda.be

    Cost of custom chain stay wrap..a couple of pinched fingers.

    The 203mm rotor is awesome. I used to have issues with the 6 inch hayes, even with a freshly bled system. These XT's are just amazing. I have to be carefull not to use the full force of the brake otherwise its "superman" time. What it allows is a much lighter grip on my handlebars and less fatigue after long downhills. Plus it looks awesome.

    Notice also the clean lines with no dual-shmual !! Sorry Mendon...but this is one old dog here. I didnt want to do what you suggest (test & decide) because if I had to buy the shmuals then replace with the separates I would be out some serious bucks. I have been perfectly happy with the separates in the past and well......

    Honestly, my biggest problem with them is the perceived/real potential for accidental shifting on a rough decent. What is the low-down here from people who dont just do x/country. I have been advised, by a couple of people that have them, that they will shift accidentally.
    R.I.P 26ers....

  28. #28
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    47

    Front rotor upgrade

    After a good three months of hard riding and change of pads, I too would like to upgrade my rotor. Can I ask what you need to do to upgrade to the 203 size? Do you just buy the rotor and bolt it on? Does the caliper need to have a different mounting braket to fit right?

  29. #29
    LA CHÈVRE
    Reputation: Dan Gerous's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    9,429
    Yes, you need a new mounting bracket so the caliper can fit over the bigger rotor.

    DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

  30. #30
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    172
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Gerous
    Yes, you need a new mounting bracket so the caliper can fit over the bigger rotor.
    Be insistant with your LBS if they say it cant be done -my LBS was skeptical but then manhattan doesnt have many big hills !!

    All you need is the 6 bolt IS standard 203mm disc and the correct adapter.
    Beware the Shimano spline system which is NOT what you want for your disc.
    R.I.P 26ers....

  31. #31
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    47

    203 Rotor

    Quote Originally Posted by The_Missile
    Be insistant with your LBS if they say it cant be done -my LBS was skeptical but then manhattan doesnt have many big hills !!

    All you need is the 6 bolt IS standard 203mm disc and the correct adapter.
    Beware the Shimano spline system which is NOT what you want for your disc.
    I have ordered a shimano xt 6 bolt IS standard 203 rotor kit. Do I need to purchase a adapter seperately. Does it not come with the adapter? where do I get the one I need and who makes it?

  32. #32
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    260

    PROPHET 2000 weight?

    I'm looking into getting one of these after I sell my switchblade. My question is How much does a stock 2000 weigh??

  33. #33
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    19
    Quote Originally Posted by redrock_z71
    I'm looking into getting one of these after I sell my switchblade. My question is How much does a stock 2000 weigh??
    I just ordered mine... it comes in Thursday. I called Cannondale about the weight and they said a medium 2000 is 29.2 lbs. I asked if that was with pedals and she said she wasn't sure but they make them as a complete bike so it probably was with them. I'm excited about getting mine. The only thing I'm nervous about is how much I've heard about the SPV lefty not being very sensitive or plush on small bumps. I really liked the TPC on the 800... wondering if I should have gotten that instead.

  34. #34
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    172

    .....scary fast.....

    the fun factor on this bike just keeps increasing. Actually that could be a bad thing, because it is now to the point where its so much fun I'm having to pucker my butt to keep from making a mess....

    .....let me explain.....

    .....up until now I have ridden only in XC mode. That two allen bolt setp on the rear shock mount just seemed too much trouble to mess with. Well, I finally plucked up enough courage to switch it to Free Ride mode.

    Firstly, it feels like a different bike. On the flat. On the up and most importantly, on the DOWN.

    Steering is way slacker, but as I also have a Gemini it's no big deal to get used to. Pedalling on the flat was a tad uncomfortable, but I dont have the right stem....yet (I CANNOT source a new 31.8mm headshock stem...been trying for 1 month now...no-one has ANY).

    So there I am half way up my 900m climb and I finally realise that climbing in FR mode is not much fun, and anyway, this is my first major climb and I REALLY need a rest.....a coupla minutes later I'm on my way again in XC mode. Much better.

    Finally reach the top and after a few(lot) more minutes recovering and switching to FR and lowering my saddle a tad.....off we go.

    Its a tad greasy so I cant let it all hang out but. I am BLOWN AWAY. This thing is a rocket. Its a bullet. Its on rails. Its AMAZING. I am already going way faster than my jekyll could handle after the first few hundred meters. Whats more, its a carpet ride.

    The Shimano XT 203 disc up front is absolutely needed I need the same for the rear now I know what this bike is capable of. The brakes are also amazing, way superior than my Hayes but OK my Hayes on the Jekyll had only a 160 up front. But still, they feel great and never fade or squeal...

    Steep, slippy, muddy, ruts, rocks, roots, gullys. I throw it at it. It just laughs. High speed 4x4 roads. Incredible. I approach a rain runoff at speed. Lift the front and the rear suspension just swallows the rut like its not there.

    PS the hutchinson spiders 2.3 are amazing. I'm running them at 2 bar front and back.

    Bunny hopping. No issue. Precompress. Hop. Land. Softly. Go.

    Its a sad day whan you realise that your body can no longer keep up with the tools it can use !

    This bike is better than me.

    I need to watch out.

    I am glad my shorts are black.
    R.I.P 26ers....

  35. #35
    a.k.a.-Cranial Disharmony
    Reputation: ryoninct's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    238
    Great re-cap!

    Thats funny because thats what I keep saying to other people - "This bike is better than me!".

    It truly is an amazing machine.
    "Life sucks, get a fu*king helmet, okay?" - Dennis Leary

  36. #36
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    13

    800

    does anyone know what a 800 weighs?

  37. #37
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    19
    Quote Originally Posted by milehillmtbr
    does anyone know what a 800 weighs?
    right around 31 lbs

  38. #38
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    132
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Missile
    the fun factor on this bike just keeps increasing. Actually that could be a bad thing, because it is now to the point where its so much fun I'm having to pucker my butt to keep from making a mess....

    .....let me explain.....

    .....up until now I have ridden only in XC mode. That two allen bolt setp on the rear shock mount just seemed too much trouble to mess with. Well, I finally plucked up enough courage to switch it to Free Ride mode.

    Firstly, it feels like a different bike. On the flat. On the up and most importantly, on the DOWN.

    Steering is way slacker, but as I also have a Gemini it's no big deal to get used to. Pedalling on the flat was a tad uncomfortable, but I dont have the right stem....yet (I CANNOT source a new 31.8mm headshock stem...been trying for 1 month now...no-one has ANY).

    So there I am half way up my 900m climb and I finally realise that climbing in FR mode is not much fun, and anyway, this is my first major climb and I REALLY need a rest.....a coupla minutes later I'm on my way again in XC mode. Much better.

    Finally reach the top and after a few(lot) more minutes recovering and switching to FR and lowering my saddle a tad.....off we go.

    Its a tad greasy so I cant let it all hang out but. I am BLOWN AWAY. This thing is a rocket. Its a bullet. Its on rails. Its AMAZING. I am already going way faster than my jekyll could handle after the first few hundred meters. Whats more, its a carpet ride.

    The Shimano XT 203 disc up front is absolutely needed I need the same for the rear now I know what this bike is capable of. The brakes are also amazing, way superior than my Hayes but OK my Hayes on the Jekyll had only a 160 up front. But still, they feel great and never fade or squeal...

    Steep, slippy, muddy, ruts, rocks, roots, gullys. I throw it at it. It just laughs. High speed 4x4 roads. Incredible. I approach a rain runoff at speed. Lift the front and the rear suspension just swallows the rut like its not there.

    PS the hutchinson spiders 2.3 are amazing. I'm running them at 2 bar front and back.

    Bunny hopping. No issue. Precompress. Hop. Land. Softly. Go.

    Its a sad day whan you realise that your body can no longer keep up with the tools it can use !

    This bike is better than me.

    I need to watch out.

    I am glad my shorts are black.



    How did the Prophet compare to your Jeckyl while climbing and on the flat. It seems clear that the Prophet is far better on the down hills but I'm curious as to how much difference there is on downs and flats as I'm more of a XC rider.

  39. #39
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    172

    ...spv is faster...

    I am faster up on Prophet, I believe due to suspension technology more than anything.

    My Jekyll did not have the SPV technology or similar so it was either locked or open.
    So it was either very firm or too squishy, not ideal.

    The SPV just lets you ride. It's firm when it needs to be and supple on request.

    It climbs great, better than my Jekyll.
    R.I.P 26ers....

  40. #40
    LA CHÈVRE
    Reputation: Dan Gerous's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    9,429

    ... and if we just ... Impressive!

    Well, after a long winter, a lot of work this spring, sickness, moving... I finally got to ride my Prophet 2000 in some real trails. First part of the ride was a long and seriously steep rocky climb that scared me a little, then back down and then fast up and down twisty nice trails with rocks, roots and mud...

    I'm nowhere near my normal summer physical condition and the bike being the heaviest bike I ever owned, that long climb had me worried. My friend riding a Scalpel didn't help, his bike is wickedly light. So after telling my friend to wait for me at the top, I'm saying to myself: "just go slowly, it's your first time up that climb this year". Well, normally, the first time of the year, I can't do it without stopping (either because I lose traction on loose rocks or getting stuck on a technical part but mostly, to catch my breathe)...

    Not only did I climb without stopping, I never once had any difficulty climbing the loose trail and I was the one waiting at the top! That bike is just an amazing climber! I don't have to sit and bend unconfortably toward the handlebar to climb very steep trails like I did on my Fisher Cake. I was often missing precise climbing sections on the Fisher because the front end had a mind of his own unless I had my chin almost rubbing the front tire. The Prophet on the other hand is very stable un confortable going up. Now I had to get back down...

    Once again, amazing. The bike feels solid and stable. I was not going full on, the Hutchinson Bulldogs UST Lights are not the best tires to bomb down a steep rock garden and I don't know the bike too well yet (I almost only rode my road bike this spring) but it's promising.

    Now in the tight twisty singletracks... Once again, the bike eats everything and is always ready to handle anything that comes. I haven't felt as much like I'm part of the bike since... well, since never really. I loved my F1000's geometry, I really felt always just perfectly positioned between the two wheels but it was a bouncy ride. The Prophet has an even better rider postion IMO but with the suspension, I really feel like me and the bike become one. I can just throw myself in corners with awful precision and stability. Now I just need to fine tune the suspension settings, but so far, the best bike I ever had.

    Something I noticed is the weird sound the chain makes when it hits the swingarm. The big chainstay is hollow and sure sounds weird. Maybe I'll stick something under there, I don't want to wrap a Lizard Skin over the whole thing, the galvanized color is too nice to hide!

    DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

  41. #41
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    172

    wooooo hooooooooo

    Dan.....you must have been going crazy looking at that bike and not being able to ride. You had your bike well before I had mine and I've got about 350 mountain miles on mine so far.

    I have to agree with you about everything you said, but especially about the 'one with the bike' thing. I am so easily able to get into the 'zone' on my bike because it fits me so well. We have some pretty gnarly descents in the Jura mountains here...about an hour to 1.5 hours climbing and about 15 minutes TOPS to descend. If you are not 100% concentrated then ...well...you know what I mean. All of a sudden I am down without really having 'noticed' the track. Just hammering all the way and the bike is so fast that you just have to 'be one'. Its amazing. I have a big sh&% eating grin EVERY time I ride that bike. Awesome.

    The last real 'down' path I rode was under a ski lift locally and there were just some big-assed lumps, rocks, roots and whoops and it was soooooo steep I though I was gonna crap myself. Lots of those areas where you cannot brake, but just have to ride through and brake afterwards. Anyway the Prophet took it, but only just. I would have preferred to have my Gemini. But only just. And it weighs only about 12.5kgs. And it rides uphill fast.

    I made some last changes to my set up...chainring shifter is now a gripshift and I have shorter (80mm?) and (15?) degree rise stem with a Race Face riser carbon handlebar. I got fed up of trying to source a different 31.8 stem locally. The last change will be a 203mm disc in back - yes it needs it !

    Just wrap an old innertube around the rear chain stay. Works like a charm.

    Absolutely the best bike I have ever owned.
    R.I.P 26ers....

  42. #42
    LA CHÈVRE
    Reputation: Dan Gerous's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    9,429
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Missile
    Dan.....you must have been going crazy looking at that bike and not being able to ride. You had your bike well before I had mine and I've got about 350 mountain miles on mine so far.
    I did ride it before this weekend, but on trails much less challenging, but as I found out, the bike is always ready even when the trail gets ugly (by ugly I mean hard and fun)...

    DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

Similar Threads

  1. Prophet 2000 weight???
    By kbw_mtbiker in forum Cannondale
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 03-14-2005, 03:30 PM
  2. Shaving weight from Prophet 2000
    By GoBig in forum Cannondale
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-10-2004, 03:46 PM
  3. Replies: 22
    Last Post: 11-01-2004, 03:03 PM
  4. Prophet 2000 @ 25.5 lbs???
    By Caleb in forum Cannondale
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 10-30-2004, 10:43 AM

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.