mtbr member
    Mar 2005

prophet 1000 or...

I'm looking for a new FS bike to buy. I am an aggressive XC rider, do some drops here and there but nothing over 5 feet. I definitely need a bike that can climb... not expecting the climbing prowess of a hardtail xc, but something that won't leave me exhausted at the top. So i'm looking for a bike that can handle everything.

I'm looking at the 05 Prophet 1000 and the 05 Specialized Enduro expert. (i'm posting this on the specialized forums too)
    Does anyone have have opinions between the two. I think the Prophet will be more suited to my needs, but the Enduro may leave some room for other types of riding. The 800 dollar difference is a small consideration.. but i'm willing to pay that amount for a better rig.

Thanks in advance

mtbr member
    Mar 2005

Prophet

I just switched from a Scalpel to a Prophet.

I gained aprox 4 lbs in bike weight in the process, but I tell ya something....I'm not missing my Scalpel at all.

Elzippo

a.k.a.-Cranial Disharmony
    Quote Originally Posted by Austin
    I'm looking for a new FS bike to buy. I am an aggressive XC rider, do some drops here and there but nothing over 5 feet. I definitely need a bike that can climb... not expecting the climbing prowess of a hardtail xc, but something that won't leave me exhausted at the top. So i'm looking for a bike that can handle everything.

I'm looking at the 05 Prophet 1000 and the 05 Specialized Enduro expert. (i'm posting this on the specialized forums too)
    Does anyone have have opinions between the two. I think the Prophet will be more suited to my needs, but the Enduro may leave some room for other types of riding. The 800 dollar difference is a small consideration.. but i'm willing to pay that amount for a better rig.

Thanks in advance
    I got the Prophet 1000 and love it. I think it climbs better than my HT. I'm not a fan of Specialized durability. My dad has an 03 Stumpjumper that he races with and it is ALWAYS in the shop or being wrenched on. Even on the trail.

The Prophet feels so sturdy and solid. It just begs to be beat on. Read the other threads in here...it's winner.

I'm sure that you'll get an opposite response in the Specialized forum though.
    "Life sucks, get a fu*king helmet, okay?" - Dennis Leary