Prophet; XC or FR position of the shock mount?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Prophet; XC or FR position of the shock mount?

I curious from other Prophet riders out there. Do you ride with the shock mounted in the XC or FR position. Why do you perfer one over the other? I notice most photos posted have the shock located in the FR position.

I changed mine from XC to FR this morning and have yet to ride the bike, but it does visibly slacken the head tube angle significantly. The bike tracks so well in the XC position, I'll be curious if it even gets better with the change.

The change can be made easily with two 5mm Allen wrenches. No pieces fall out (or apart), simply unscrew the left bolt, remove it, and push the axial out with the wrench. The change can be done in less than a minute.

cannondale rider

xc position

i just got mine christmas eve and i have it set in the xc position. i think it rides great in that position and even was doing some small drops, no more than 3' and it felt fine, alot better then my f900. i think some time this week ill try i in the freeride position, but im happy with it the ways it is

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Tried both, then set it at XC and forgot it, still super stable but carves like a ginsu.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    I am still working on getting mine set up (shocks). Coming from a rigid bike I am slowly getting used to it. I was having lots of trouble on stepped down hills, changed it to FR and It made a world of difference for me. Granted I still need to change out my front spring to a stiffer one (came with Red, but I need a Black or Brown. I'm a 220+ rider).

Did any of you guys notice the paint flaking off the mounting areas when you moved it from one setting to the next?

mtbr member

paint flaking off mounting areas...

Quote Originally Posted by Prophet
    I am still working on getting mine set up (shocks). Coming from a rigid bike I am slowly getting used to it. I was having lots of trouble on stepped down hills, changed it to FR and It made a world of difference for me. Granted I still need to change out my front spring to a stiffer one (came with Red, but I need a Black or Brown. I'm a 220+ rider).

Did any of you guys notice the paint flaking off the mounting areas when you moved it from one setting to the next?
    I consider this type of "wear" similar to adjusting my seatpost several times during a ride, it's acceptable deterioration of the surfaces caused by use. At least with the Prophet you don't have the cables gnawing through your frame as they did with the Jekyll design. A little grease under the heads of the shaft and pin may reduce the wear. In the end, it's just a bicycle and the reality is, no one else cares what our bikes look like.
    -----------------------------
    I put my bike back in the XC position after riding it in the FR position. I liked the ride in the FR position, but it seemed I had to exert more force to pop the front wheel for clearing roots and other obstacles, and didn't like giving up the 13.7 inches of BB clearance (reduced to 13" in the FR position). As stated in an earlier post, I can see myself occasionally changing it on the summit of some rides to for the descent, since it is so easy to do, I think the bike felt a little more stable with the lower center of gravity and the slackened head tube in the FR position on the descents.

Ride #209 for the year today, sunny and mid-forties here in Washington, no snow below 2000 feet.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    I've purposely ridden the same trails in both positions to get a good comparison. The FR setting is noticeably more stable at the quick drops and the tracking feels smoother over larger bumps. My ability to keep up with the pack of riders suffers too much in the FR position -- so I leave it in XC because I'm not gasping for breath as much during long gradual climbs.

Yes, I've got paint worn off where the bolt heads are. It would have been nice to have a permanent washer as the mating surface instead of the aluminum frame material.

Question, how do you know what color spring you have in the Lefty? I ride a 1000, frame size large, weight 205lbs.

LA CHÈVRE
    Quote Originally Posted by V02 deficient
    Question, how do you know what color spring you have in the Lefty? I ride a 1000, frame size large, weight 205lbs.
    Petite and small Prophets have the green springs (up to 140 lbs rider weight), mediums have the blue (150-160 lbs), larges have the red (170-180 lbs) and the x-larges have the black springs (190 lbs and above), all according to Cannondale of course.

DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    do anyone know if the bike shop charge extra if you want to switch the spring??

cannondale rider
    Use A Shimano Bottom Bracket Tool And Take Of The Top Of The Lefty Where The Rebound Is. Push The Shock And The Spring Will Come Up And You Can See It

LA CHÈVRE
    Quote Originally Posted by rshank3499
    Use A Shimano Bottom Bracket Tool And Take Of The Top Of The Lefty Where The Rebound Is. Push The Shock And The Spring Will Come Up And You Can See It
    rshank3499, You Sure Love To Put Capital Letters!

cannondale rider
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Gerous
    rshank3499, You Sure Love To Put Capital Letters!
    IN THE ARCHITECTURE FIELD WE TPYE EVERYTHING IN CAPS IN CAD SO I DONT NOTICE THAT CPAS LOCK IS ON. I GUESS THAT THE FORUM AUTOMATICALLY MAKES JUST THE FIRST LETTER CAPITAL

LA CHÈVRE
    LOL, no problems, working mostly with After Effects, renders are sometimes faster on caps lock so it happens to me too, I just tought that, with only the first letters, you were doing it on purpose because you were german or something (there are much more words starting with caps in german).

Sorry for turning the post Off-Topic, back to the Prophet!

Poser
    LOL, no problems, working mostly with After Effects, renders are sometimes faster on caps lock so it happens to me too, I just tought that, with only the first letters, you were doing it on purpose because you were german or something (there are much more words starting with caps in german).

Sorry for turning the post Off-Topic, back to the Prophet!
    I just, for the first time, looked and saw what you do for a living. Funny I never noticed.

I work in video too...(and recent Motion switcher)

LA CHÈVRE
    I thought I said BACK TO THE PROPHET!

So your name makes sense. I haven't tried Motion yet, it took me a while to convince non-creative IT people to get me a Mac at the office. Before about 3 weeks ago I had to work on an awful PC unless I worked at home and I've been spending a lot of hours (too much really) in AE in the last few years and I haven't even checked what Motion had to offer... I heard it was quite quick but I use the 3D in AE too often to pass it up.
    Last edited by Dan Gerous; 12-28-2004 at 03:44 PM. Reason: I love to edit!

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Petite and small Prophets have the green springs (up to 140 lbs rider weight), mediums have the blue (150-160 lbs), larges have the red (170-180 lbs) and the x-larges have the black springs (190 lbs and above), all according to Cannondale of course.

This is correct for the SPV forks

The TPC and FFD forks have a bit of a different setup, Look in your Prophet Suspension Set-Up Guide.

Petite and Small are Blue
    Mediums are Red
    Large are Black
    X large are Brown