Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Post your Trail

57K views 206 replies 71 participants last post by  guidodg 
#1 ·
Since there wasn't a "Show your Trail" topic, I thought; Let me open one! So here it is!

Post pics of your Trail SL in this thread!

#82 ·
I think it would slack out the bike too much and would probably affect the handling and could pose a strength issue for your HT/DT, as you are effectively making the lever longer and adding leverage to the junction. At 100 it feels fantastic and not as schizophrenic, I would try that first.

#87 ·
Just got my first bike in about 16 years. Haven't rode a bike since I got my license when i was 16. Friend of family owns a few bike shops so got a 2013 Trail 29er 5 for an awesome price. Got a Lezyne HV bottle cage and Alloy Drive HV hand pump coming in the mail to put on it. Need a new seat as my butt is sore from the stock seat! Mostly riding for recreation on roads and paved bike paths with my girlfriend. Loving the bike so far after a few days of riding it. Also getting a shorter stem as the reach is just a tad too long for my liking on the XL frame but it the Large frame didn't fit my quit right. Guess i can't post pics till i reach a certain post count

#89 ·
I love the new Cannondale Trail SL line, but I had a better deal on the Trek Cobia. If there was the same deal with a Cannondale, I would have bought one.

#90 ·
So I recently purchased a 2013 trail 6 26 in bike upgraded the crankset to a Shimano deore and the rear and front derailleur's to Shimano SLX. I have since found a great deal on a 2012 SL 5 29er and am thinking of buying it and selling my trail 6 since it has the sL frame and a 1.5in head tube. Anyone think this is a good or bad idea? I cant really decide.

Also is it okay to put a 100mm fork on the 29er I know it comes with 80mm stock. Not sure if that will mess up the steering or cause any danger.

#93 ·
No, it will not do harm, although it would be best to ask your lbs about if it will work (which I believe it will).
Cannondale does this because unlike almost every other bike brand, they have 80mm and low riser bars compared to the normal 100mm and flat bars. If you can trade the 6 in for the SL5 with no loss and you are able to keep your upgrades by swapping the stock parts back on the 6 when you sell it, go ahead.
I apologize if this message is a little late.

#91 ·

2011 Trail SL3

I purchased this as my first "real" mountain bike in 2010. Its been awesome so far.

Still on stock brakes, wheels, cranks, drivetrain, and forks. The forks suck and need replacing ASAP they failed early in 2011 (the lockout doesn't work anymore)

It will be 1x9 in two days when the parts get here. The wheels will be upgraded when the stockies fail. Forks will be replaced with Fox this season. Brakes are surprisingly awesome and wont be changed unless they fail.

#96 ·
So I decided to keep the trail 6 since I don't have to worry about warranty issues and such. Plus I think I just like the 26 in wheels for the trails I ride better super twisty and I dust my friends on their 29in bikes going around the turns.

I converted to 9 speed with a SRAM 980 cassette. Got Deore shifters up front now, SLX front and rear derauillers and a deore crankset.

Last upgrade is going to be the shocks. Looking at some manitou minute experts currently. Any other recommendations would be welcome tho. I can get them for 280 with free shipping. So I am looking at something in the 275-350 range shock wise.

#100 ·
My first bike:

2013 Cannondale 29er Trail SL2. Two rides down and I love it. Got a great deal with the 2013 models going out the door making way for the 2014. Very happy because I would have upgraded my previous choice (Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc) for more than the difference in this.

Attachments

#103 ·
2013 Cannondale 29er Trail SL2. Two rides down and I love it. Got a great deal with the 2013 models going out the door making way for the 2014. Very happy because I would have upgraded my previous choice (Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc) for more than the difference in this.
I kind of wish sometimes I would of found a cool color like that. If I ever need something nicer for the dirt, i'd convert my trail-sl into a full time urban bike and get something cool in a bright orange or blue like that.

#102 ·
Here is my 2013 SL1 in hybrid bike night mode. I have a second wheelset and a second seatpost and seat for hitting the dirt. I take it alot on night rides with my labrador attached to the seatpost. I'm trying to make this my "do it all" bike.

I got the bug that led to upgrades already;

- 1x10 setup with raceface narrow/wide ring (eliminated front shifter and derailer)
- XTR rear derailer shifter (stock deroe got some gunk or something and started sticking when upshifting.
-Odi Grips
-SLX 10 speed cassette on the city/hybrid wheelset
-Schwalbe land cruiser tires on hybrid wheelset/ RocketRon and RacingRalph on the set for the dirt.
-Shimano Saint Pedals
-twofish lockblock with lighthound xm-l 18650 540 lumen light. (i strap in a xm-l mini when i'm not sure if i'll get home before dark)

#104 · (Edited)
My First Bike...

2012 Cannondale 29er Trail SL4, and lovin' every moment on her so far. Have only done very basic upgrades so far like Ergon GS1s, a pair of Cannondale water bottle cages, and just recently purchased a CamelBak Mule NV and a NiteRider Lumina 650/NiteRider Solas taillight which rock! Anyways, I'm a newbie and very excited to be part of this community! :thumbsup:

12/23/13- Michelins Wild Grip'R 29 tyres.
2/08/14- Ergon GS1s.
3/12/14-FSA SL-K carbon seat-post installed.
3/15/14-Mavic Crossride 29s.
3/24/14- FSA SL-K carbon flat handlebar.
4/10/14- Avid Elixir 5 brakes & 2X9 setup.
6/25/14- Shimano Deore XT clipless pedals.
10/4/14- Shimano Saint M820 shifter, Shimano XTR M986 rear derailleur 10 speed, Shimano XT Dyna-Sys M771 10 speed cassette/Shimano XT HG95 chain.
10/8/14- Shimano Zee cranks, and RaceFace NW chainring 36T 1X10 setup(eliminated front shifter and derailleur).
10/24/14- Ergon SM3 saddle
1/26/15- 2015 RockShox Reba RL, FSA SL-K carbon stem
7/27/15- Shimano XT M785B, Shimano Ice Tech RT86 180mm (hated the Avids Elixir 5s!!)

Attachments

#105 ·
2012 Cannondale 29er Trail SL4. Lovin' every moment on it so far. Have only done very "minor" upgrades so far like Ergon GS1-L Pro Racing Grips, Animal Hamilton Metal Pedals (love them!), a pair of Cannondale C-Cage bottle holders, and just recently purchased a CamelBak Mule NV and a NiteRider Lumina 650/NiteRider Solas taillight (love them both too!). My next real upgrades are a shorter stem, Fox forks (seems like I see them on every bike in magazines..lol), and I was looking into Michelin's Wild Grip'R tires as well. Anyways, I'm a newbie and excited to be part of this community! :thumbsup:
The 2012 SL4 was the bike I wanted, but when the dealer sold out of them, I was forced to look at other options. Then I found Trek.

#108 · (Edited)
Here are a couple of pics of my freshly Lefty-fied trail.
It's a 2011 SL2 29. Served me well for a couple of years with a light set of crossmax rims and rocket ron's. Recently started replacing/modifying things. It's now 2X10 with X0 grip shifters, new X0 derailleurs, Stan's Arch wheels with a blissfully quiet DT240 rear hub. And of course, the Lefty. A 2011 PBR carbon. Sent it off to Mendon cyclesmith to have him work his magic on it before installing. It is now utterly fabulous.

13 miles later, I tried to take a pic at the exact spot that deputydog2003 took his. ;)
It's close.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.