mtbr member
    Nov 2007

Is it possible to get UK speced bike shipped to American LBS?

Im really liking this UK spec Prophet 2, esp. with the pike. The frames are made here in the US, so I imagine logistically it could happen. Has anyone done it?

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    With the exchange rate the way it is could you not by a US spec Prophet 2, put some Pikes on it, and still have change left over?

Like catnip for people
    I've often wondered that myself.

Don't know how it could happen though, unless you had an insider in Cannondale help you out.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Evans Cyclery in GB will ship to the US. (Your home address) Problem A = Exchange Rate, Problem B = According to C'Dale, bikes are only warrantied on the continent they are sold from. So, if you don't mind not having a warranty and are willing to pay the EXORBITENT dollar equivalent European bikes are sold for, you too can have a Euro spec'd C'Dale.

mtbr member
    Isn' this bike made in the U.S. and then shipped to Europe ??

If so , couldn't you make arrangements with C'Dale to make and
    ship one to your LBS ??
    Why pay for extra shipping ?

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Eurospec bikes are assembled in Holland. I believe it is sometimes possible to do a mix and match on the colour scheme eg. Prophet 2 colour on a Prophet 3. Spec upgrades/changes are usually down to what you can negotiate with the LBS

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    And, you will notice a difference in component specs between Canndale USA and Cannondale Europe. These are actually run as separate business units. If a C'Dale Europe frame is Made is USA, the frame is shipped over to Europe for final spec by C'Dale Europe. Also, many C'Dale Europe frames are actually built in Asia to C'Dale spec. Although the Prophet appears to be a true USA frame.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by citybiker
    Also, many C'Dale Europe frames are actually built in Asia to C'Dale spec. Although the Prophet appears to be a true USA frame.
    The Europe Cannondale frames are exactly the the same as the ones sold in the US. F3 and upwards have the handmade in the USA logo, apart from some of the high end carbon models. Specs can be different, you're right there, usually lower spec for more money because of the cost of importing them.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Scaramouche
    The Europe Cannondale frames are exactly the the same as the ones sold in the US. F3 and upwards have the handmade in the USA logo, apart from some of the high end carbon models. Specs can be different, you're right there, usually lower spec for more money because of the cost of importing them.

It really depends on the model. I was looking at Bad Boys when I wanted a Euro Spec bike...The catalogue for Europe, and even C'Dale USA customer service tell me that certain frame models (espescially high end) are NOT USA built. One of the clues for the Bad Boys was the 'internal cable routing" offered on the higher end models. These are NOT USA manfactured. According to Heather at C'Dale USA, C'Dale Europe specs their models separately from C'Dale USA based on consumer market factors. For a few models, those specs may be the same, but those decisions are driven by the Euro consumer market and decided upon by the INDEPENDENT C'Dale Euro division. If the frame says "Handmade in USA", then it is, otherwise the frame is probably Asia made. The components are all sourced from outside the USA and not "imported" from here.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by citybiker
    It really depends on the model. I was looking at Bad Boys when I wanted a Euro Spec bike...The catalogue for Europe, and even C'Dale USA customer service tell me that certain frame models (espescially high end) are NOT USA built. One of the clues for the Bad Boys was the 'internal cable routing" offered on the higher end models. These are NOT USA manfactured. According to Heather at C'Dale USA, C'Dale Europe specs their models separately from C'Dale USA based on consumer market factors. For a few models, those specs may be the same, but those decisions are driven by the Euro consumer market and decided upon by the INDEPENDENT C'Dale Euro division. If the frame says "Handmade in USA", then it is, otherwise the frame is probably Asia made. The components are all sourced from outside the USA and not "imported" from here.
    Hmm, I wasn't aware of the Bad Boy frames being Taiwanese made, I've only looked at the mountain bikes. All of the aluminum frames I've seen (F3 and upwards, as I said) are handmade in the US.

I should have explained myself better when talking about the lower specs, what I mean is that the imported frames mean that the overall bike is more expensive, not that the components are imported from the US. The specs do tend to be slightly (not hugely) lower here to drive down the cost of the overall bike. To that extent I can see how it could be described as market driven.

Members who have read this thread: 0