Thread: Pogo stick

mtbr member
    Mar 2006

Pogo stick

I reset the bearings on my 140 max w/spv. Rode it about 10-ish miles and heard the clunking sound again. I reset the bearings again thinking maybe I didn't pound them down far enough 10 miles ago. Problem is that I seem to have created a pogo-stick- I've lost ALL rebound damping. Any thoughts?

Also I've researched other threads and seen reference to "upgrading" my spv with TPC. I gather this is possible but have not seen where to look for the parts nor any clues as to how much it might cost. Help here would be appreciated, I'm not exteremly pleased with SPV.

mtbr member

rebound...

Quote Originally Posted by Lefty'sLefty
    I reset the bearings on my 140 max w/spv. Rode it about 10-ish miles and heard the clunking sound again. I reset the bearings again thinking maybe I didn't pound them down far enough 10 miles ago. Problem is that I seem to have created a pogo-stick- I've lost ALL rebound damping. Any thoughts?

Also I've researched other threads and seen reference to "upgrading" my spv with TPC. I gather this is possible but have not seen where to look for the parts nor any clues as to how much it might cost. Help here would be appreciated, I'm not exteremly pleased with SPV.
    I have the base 140 max (no SPV...I like it that way).
    Anyway...I blew my rebound after the first 6 months of riding. C-dale fixed it for free. My LBS sent the whole fork out to them.

This sounds like what happened to yours.
    I'm not so sure you can mess up the rebound damping when resetting the bearings...
    I could be wrong though (I am in NO way an expert at lefty's).

Good luck.

mtbr member
    I'm not 100% sure on how the Lefty works, though I recently learned how to reset the bearing migration successfully and my rebound damping seemed to be working much better too as a result.

I'm sure one of the regulars will put us straight.

mtbr member
    My Lefty 140 SPV just exhibited the exact same hapening !, I reset it this last time and no more rebound............What did ya find out was the problem with yours ?
    This is one of the first Prophets out from C Dale at our local dealer, and it has been a SWEET bike so far, and I am not easy on it at all ! I just think it might have been it's time !

Any ideas if I could have possibly had the rebound dampener blow out ?, and if I can obtain the parts and repair it myself. It's not that I don't trust anyone it's just that I prefer to do my own work !

Thanks
    Left Max

LA CHÈVRE
    Before you took off the top cap to reset the bearings, did you close the rebound knob? And did you make sure the rebound knob wasn't turning with the cap as you undid it? If not, I think the rebound can be off a bit upon reassembly...

DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

mtbr member
    I actually took the rebound kinob out and the plundger rod out also, hmmmmm, wasn't supposed to do this ?, I have been reseting the shock this way since the beginning without any trouble.....

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by LeftyMax
    I actually took the rebound kinob out and the plundger rod out also, hmmmmm, wasn't supposed to do this ?, I have been reseting the shock this way since the beginning without any trouble.....

You have a 130 or 140? You are taking the spring off? Or am I misunderstanding you? I get the red rebound knob, but the plunger rod is much farther down than you should need to be, when resetting bearings.

Dan has an excellent point on the rebound knob, and other than that, is the bottom of your fork all oily? Cut the boot's bottom zip tie,, and open the boot a bit, your rotor may get an oily bath, so be carfeul as you do this! If your seals have blown oil in to the fork, it gets too low to be effective . Take it to a good LBS, or seek out you friendly internet Lefty repair services.
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

Members who have read this thread: 0