Thread: Pike on prophet

S&G CREW
    Feb 2008

Pike on prophet

I want to get a Rock Shox Pike on my prophet but not sure if i should get the air or the coil.I know the air is about half pound lighter and more adjustable.I use my bike as a do all bike.Just looking to see if anyone has ridden both and if you notice much difference between the two while crankin down the trail.

Killer of Chains
    Feb 2004
    The Pike is pretty much the best do it all fork. It's 1+1 simple, with easy to understand controls and construction, its not the lightest fork, but its got many features many forks in its class do not, and the U-Turn is probably the best travel adjustment mechanism out there.

However, if you don't need that ability to change travel, than your better off with a lighter fork (or the Lefty).

I chose the Pike coil, simple because I could find one used for 225, and because supposedly the X-Firm spring is very very firm. Some guys who are as heavy as me have said that the spring is borderline still too stiff, and I'm 220.

The air will save money on buying a new spring, and is lighter, but I think its either slightly more or less travel, I forget which.

I would think the bump sensitivity on the air would be better, because Motion Control would allow you to really fine tune the air/fluid flow ratio.

got the dhr...
    Im gettin a pike sometime soon. an air one. PPP are you sure the air has a different amount of travel? It seems to me it wouldn't, and I kinda doubt it, but im not sure.

Anywho, coil vs. air is a personal preferance kinda thing. I personally like the idea of air, but if you like coil better, then go for that. hope this helps.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by PaintPeelinPbody
    if you don't need that ability to change travel, than your better off with a lighter fork (or the Lefty).
    After having some rides aboard the Lefty, I feel compeled to agree with PPP and say this is one of the BEST suspensions ever. I only miss the lack of adjustability, since it's kinda hard to adjust the coil compression; you gotta to disassemble the Lefty to set it, and it's more work when you gotta to try it to feel if it's right and, if not, open the Lefty everytime to set it until you find the right spot. But apart from that, once you set it, it's very refreshing to have it in the front of your Prophet. It has an outstand performance overall. Sometimes I think the Lefty is too much of a good thing. Really, can they ever do that again, a 140mm front shock that is that light and stiff? Wish they had the Fox internals going on this one, a RLC setup mode would be the best thing ever.

However, I'd like to stick a Pike Air in my Prophet. I know I'd be gaining a half pound over the Lefty, but the adjustability and the extra plushness would be very welcome. I don't really know if it would be as stiff or stiffer than the Lefty, but with TA I'd have a very large selection of hubs and wheelsets to choose from. But I'd only trade my Lefty for a Pike if I had the unstoppable wish of transforming my Prophet in a more dowhill-oriented machine rather than an all mountain you can actually pedal uphill. But I'd still choose the Air one. Think it must be just as good as the coil. With coil you get an extra plush, but you know what, I think the Pike is awesome anyway and getting better adjustament settings, fine tuning options and a travel grade, that is a huge plus for me.

Nice review here: http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/catego...r-u-turn-10436

I AM I AM
    Air U-Turn is adjustable from 110 - 140mm so for some people not being able to go down to 100 like you can with the coil version is a disadvantage.
    I've got the air u-turn, and it's a non issue - I could always run more say & dial up the compression for hill climbing.

Killer of Chains
    Feb 2004
    Coil U-Turn is 95-140mm where as Air is 110-140.

If your a dirt jumper/freeride guy, the Pike makes a perfect do it all fork, its light enough to ride up hills, but it allows you to dial down the travel for street/jump and a steeper head angle.

S&G CREW
    Feb 2008
    Thanks 4 your respose.I like the lefty but like the idea of more adjustable shock.I ride alot of all mountain trails but looking to ride so more down hill this year.I guess i need two bikes but dont have the money right know so i need my bike to do a little of everything.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    The UK prophet comes speced with a Pike Dual Air.

Does anyone know if it's possible to have a UK speced cannondale shipped to a US LBS?

a.k.a.-Cranial Disharmony
    I just picked up the 454 dual air. Waiting on a headset and sale of my Lefty Max. Cannot wait!!!
    "Life sucks, get a fu*king helmet, okay?" - Dennis Leary

Members who have read this thread: 0